Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

boston acoustic cs vs a series

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 undecidedbos

undecidedbos

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 29 2011 - 04:49 AM

i just bought i pair of entry level boston cs 26 speakers and was surprisingly happy with the sound. i am looking to replace all my polk audios with boston but want to get something more substaintial then the cs 26 but want to stay bookshelf instead of going floorstanding for the sake of space and plus i have a decent sub so i need need floors. i was looking at the next level of speakers from boston ( the a series) online. but i can't find anywhere local that i can listen to them before i buy them. the spec on the a series don't different much from the cs. it gas a different woofer material and as a little bit deeper bass respense. will i be paying mush more for the a series for not much better sound but for better looks???? its that what the real difference is? does anyone know has anyone heard them both? comparably the cs26 and cs c225 center vs the a26 and a 225 center. if i get the a series i would move my cs to the rear channels.

#2 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,675 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 30 2011 - 10:58 AM

I haven't heard the new A series but my brother has the CS226 towers, CS226 center and CS23's as surrounds and they do sound surprisingly good for what he paid (about $500 for all five including shipping). I won't say the A series isn't much of an improvement since I haven't heard them myself but I doubt they will be worth the extra money if you can get the rest of the CS speakers at a good price. As always, the best thing to do is buy a pair of A series and listen to them for a while. If they aren't worth the extra money then simply return them. You'll be out the return shipping but at least you'll know for sure. And speakers can sound a bit different in your house than they do in the store anyway.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 undecidedbos

undecidedbos

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 30 2011 - 01:52 PM

wow where did your brother get such a good deal on them??? does he have a sub to complement them?

#4 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,675 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 30 2011 - 03:33 PM

About a year and a half ago the Boston CS series were heavily discounted at places like TigerDirect.com. As I recall the towers were $134 shipped each, the surrounds about $130/pr and the center about $100. In fact, we got our wires crossed and each of us ordered a pair of the towers. Rather than pay to ship a pair back east were we bought them we threw them on craigslist for $175 a pr. Someone got a great deal (We met at a hotel parking lot and he tried to get me to take $150!. Some people :rolleyes: ) Yes, he has a BIC V1220. Even with towers a sub is still needed. I think Bostons are fairly under-rated speakers for the money.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users