The final cover in my Rocketeer Trilogy.
As you can see I used the US one-sheet art as a basis. I have stated before that I don't think it sells the film very well. On the other hand, it may sell the film
, but it doesn't sell The Rocketeer
. I think it is a major failing that the helmet isn't more prominent on the poster. They tried to rectify that by cramming in a poorly rendered Rocketeer figure (that I've plain dumped in my version).
Anyway, I isolated the figures from the blue background using the Color Selection tool and deleting all blue pixels. The background wasn't uniform blue, so I had to apply some touch-ups by hand. I'm using a pen tablet which gives me great control for that kind of work. The blue was at odds with the yellow light on Bill Campell during the photo shoot, so the amber background fit much better. The jetpack had obviously been added later, as it was lit completely differently to the actor. When I changed the colour of the background I had to apply a Color Balance layer to the jetpack to blend it with it's new surroundings.
As you can see I incorporated imagery from the in-movie propaganda film in the background. (And for an image on the back). Once again it pays to have a HD recording at hand for screen captures of whatever you want. On top of that I lifted some clouds from a wallpaper for the Sky Captain movie, the same one I used on my first Rocketeer cover. The old paper texture from my Mk.II cover is also there, but only at about 20% opacity. I just keep layering and layering and experimenting with the different blending modes until I'm happy.
I was using a 600dpi scan of my Laserdisc cover, and it had some lettering covering the plane at the bottom. I replaced part of the tarmac and plane with parts from a poster I found online. I do touch-ups like that and removing the background at twice the size of the finished cover. That way it smooths out some of the rough edges when I shrink it down to cover size.
Whenever I see the movie title on the top of a poster, I think it sort of closes the poster in and makes it claustrophobic. That's why I generally try to keep the title at the bottom or integrate it into the actual art somehow. I didn't want to obscure the hanger at the bottom, so my compromise was to cover up part of the all-important helmet instead. I was originally planning to use the art-deco title treatment for this, but the Indiana Jones style read better over the figures. This time I took the time to generate a "The" which wasn't part of the original title treatment originating from Europe. I cut and pasted elements from other letters to make the H, the only letter missing.
The challenge on the back was finding images from the movie that didn't clash with the colour scheme of the cover. I couldn't find any, so I settled for a publicity still and a Rocketeer trading card. Since the front poster neglected the Rocketeer, I wanted him at least to be visible on the back, which limited my options severely. Almost all his apperances in the film are in broad daylight, or against a black night sky, neither of which fit on this cover.
I added a 3 pixel brown stroke around the two loose images, and blended the borders in Overlay mode. The rest of the info on the back is just copied from my previous cover. A credit for J.K. Antwon for the spine image of the Rocketeer is once again included.
I have ideas for at least two more Rocketeer covers, but I think I'll stop with this one. I'll be updating my Rocketeer Mk.I and then the Rocketeer and I are finished.
PM requests for High Rez as usual.