Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#461 of 610 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 13 2013 - 06:27 PM

While I'm not familiar with RoyalBrites, any premium, glossy photo paper I've used is noticeably heavier than the paper used for the inserts.  It's probably better than what the inserts are printed on.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#462 of 610 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted June 13 2013 - 10:03 PM

While I'm not familiar with RoyalBrites, any premium, glossy photo paper I've used is noticeably heavier than the paper used for the inserts. It's probably better than what the inserts are printed on.

While that's true for probably 99% of the ones I've done, I have had a few that were surprisingly thick. Enough to notice, especially in this day of cheaper and lighter packaging, with those Eco cases that don't protect and cheapest lightest paper possible.

Edited by rayman1701, June 13 2013 - 10:43 PM.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#463 of 610 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted June 13 2013 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the information, Ray. Can you please tell me the name of the shop and the paper you like?

I use paperworks.com their Double Sided Semi Gloss Paper, I use 8 1/2 x 11, but I originally bought from them because I needed some 8 1/2 x 14 for some prints and couldn't find it local. I won't stake my rep on them being the cheapest, but after using some different HP papers, since I didn't want to use the longer and be wasteful, they didn't quite print right and I compared and the paperworks just worked better with my printer. It's an older Lexmark an X8350 which still works for what I need in my office. My wife got a Brother MFC-J6710dw as she needed a bigger scanner, and the wireless comes in handy too, but for some reason the covers I tried with hers ended up with more of a washed out print, and it didn't like solid black and had streaks too. I didn't try too many combos with hers, since mine does a great job with the right paper. Sure I could have tried other brands, but once I found something that works really it wasn't worth the hassle.Speaking of templates and stuff I have a program I originally got for cd artwork that I use for the occasional, what I refer to as "hybrid" custom covers, using the spine and back of the original and then using original poster art for the front. The program is from SureThing and they released a new version recently, unfortunately it doesn't have the same functionality of Photoshop so I can't get anywhere close to what people like Fritz come up with, but it at least gives you a sense of the film when you look at the front (but with the limited tools it is a bit clunky, kinda like butchering a side of beef with a 3 inch paring knife. Sure you can get something at the end kinda what you wanted, but it won't be a perfect Fillet either.). With that program it has a blu-ray template and I also used it to create a custom template for a Criterion sized case, I used that to resize Fritz's Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure customs, so that I could put the envelope with the lobby cards and stuff from the deluxe DVDs as they fit fine with a Criterion size case, and they came out really well. That was before I knew of Undercover XP, so I don't know if that would have worked easier or not. Sorry for the long ramble, just remembered a few points that I wanted to chime in with.EDIT: I just wanted to mention that even with the limited program I have and the very basic covers I've attempted, it amazes me how much work must go into the covers that Fritz, and the others do.

Edited by rayman1701, June 13 2013 - 10:56 PM.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#464 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi all.

Glad to see so many people offering advice on printing and paper.

Myself I use any no-name, cheapo glossy photo paper I can get my hands. It's sometimes on the heavy/thick side, but works a treat. I know some people just use matte paper and let the case provide the gloss, but I have never been satisfied with that myself.

For printing I use my regular Canon MP610 Inkjet on the highest quality setting. It's printouts are not the sharpest, but the colours are gorgeous. I have a second Canon inkjet which is newer, but the colours all come out reddish, so it's useless for printing covers (wish I'd just taken it back).

Pro tip: If you really want your printed inserts to have that retail feel, round off the corners. All the old Disney DVDs used to have that, but I see it less and less. I think it adds a bit of class.

#465 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:48 AM

Here's my take on the first Mad Max.
Posted Image
I wanted to stick to the look of the original Warner video covers, but found myself taking some liberties with this one.

I went back to the original version of Tom Beauvais' artwork, which is slightly different than the version on Warner's cover. BTW, does anyone know who did the Mad Max 2 poster I used?

The original cover didn't have a tagline for the poster, but I felt it needed one to fill up the empty space. This tagline was on the original UK quad.

The last liberty was on the back. The image was b&w on the old cover, but I kept it in colour on my version.

Now, just Thunderdome to go, with Richard Amsel's final poster (I believe). Looking forward to it.

#466 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted June 15 2013 - 02:56 AM

Posted Image
The cover for Mad Max beyond Thunderdome was much harder to recreate than the previous two.
Warner's template had evolved by 1985, so several logos are updated compared to Mad Max 1 and 2.
The major deviation was the design of the back, and I decided to recreate the montage from scratch. Not difficult, just a lot more work.
I had to pick between consistency across all three covers or being faithful to the actual VHS cover. I chose the latter.

Now that all three are done, feel free to PM me for copies.

#467 of 610 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted June 17 2013 - 06:36 PM

Some of my latest (mostly retaining original key art), including revisions to older titles:

Lifeforce_Blue.png

Lifeforce_Red.png

BetterOffDead.png

Brazil.png

Westworld.png

TwilightZonetheMovie.png

Edited by Scott D S, June 17 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#468 of 610 OFFLINE   SeanAx

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 17 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hey there,

Just discovered this thread while browsing through the site. Not an artist, but certainly a fan, and these are terrific. A lot of love in these covers.

Sean Axmaker
Videophiled, the home video column of Cinephiled (http://www.cinephiled.com/)
Editor of Parallax View (http://parallax-view.org)
Member of the Online Film Critics Society (http://www.rottentom...com/author-229/)

#469 of 610 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,463 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 01:06 PM

Second, I found an image of speed lines from a Manga tutorial and overlaid that on my image

Fritz, would you be willing to post a link to that speed line image?  I'm playing around with your tutorial.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#470 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 01:36 AM

Fritz, would you be willing to post a link to that speed line image?  I'm playing around with your tutorial.

Certainly:http://imageshack.us...es/826/48a.gif/

#471 of 610 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 09:34 PM

Here is my 'translated' cover of the German Oliver! disc

Oliver Blu300.JPG

David

Edited by David Weicker, June 20 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#472 of 610 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,506 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 21 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is that something like a Babelfish translation, David???

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#473 of 610 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 08:06 PM

Is that something like a Babelfish translation, David???

It was actually Google Translate.

Yes, I could have cleaned up some of the grammatical 'errors', but it was late at night, and I was tired.

#474 of 610 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,463 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 06:24 AM

Certainly:http://imageshack.us...es/826/48a.gif/

Thanks Fritz.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#475 of 610 OFFLINE   DannyChamp

DannyChamp

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 08:06 AM

This is an amazing thread. So much here. Everybody has done some really good work.I'm actually looking for artwork for Poltergeist using the original theatrical campaign, does anybody know of any having been produced?Keep up this beautiful work!

#476 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 12:54 AM

Okay, I've been given the go-ahead to share this, so just PM me for a download link.
Posted Image

#477 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 12:59 AM

This is an amazing thread. So much here. Everybody has done some really good work.

I'm actually looking for artwork for Poltergeist using the original theatrical campaign, does anybody know of any having been produced?

Keep up this beautiful work!

Hi DC.

I haven't done a BD or DVD cover for Poltergeist, but I HAVE done a custom Vinyl Soundtrack jacket for the recent Mondo release. This was based on the client's request for the same artwork as the MGM Widescreen LD back in the day.

Posted Image

#478 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 01:24 AM

While updates here have been few and far-between, I have not been slacking :-)

Here are a few recent ones:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

All private commissions so not available to share. Sorry.

#479 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 01:31 AM

I don't believe I ever showed you the companion piece I did to my Game of Thrones season 1?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Again, commissions not available to share.

#480 of 610 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 01:32 AM

... and a WIP for Chucky - The Complete Collection.
Posted Image

Actually inspired by the U.K. cover art, the client opted for the Grindhouse look which sets it apart from the U.S. retail covers. I rarely display WIP pieces. This is mostly locked, just awaiting final specs once the discs are released.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users