Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Caine Mutiny on BRD has a release date!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,917 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 27 2011 - 04:46 AM

Amazon has updated the release date to September 6th.  Luckily, I preordered this title for 13.99, many months ago.

http://www.amazon.co...14463405&sr=1-1

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 27 2011 - 06:28 AM

This is coming from a new 4K scan per an interview with Grover Crisp. Same with Guns of Navarone. They should both look great*, every bit the equal of Bridge On The River Kwai, Close Encounters, Harryhausen films, Taxi Driver, etc. *When I say great I mean like an early generation, pristine film element with great color. Not like an ESPN HD basketball game.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,915 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 07:07 AM

Interesting that they finally announced a date that is only (less than) 2 weeks in the future. With the delay, I expected it to be released after The Guns of Navarone

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,221 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 09:14 PM

This is coming from a new 4K scan per an interview with Grover Crisp. Same with Guns of Navarone. They should both look great*, every bit the equal of Bridge On The River Kwai, Close Encounters, Harryhausen films, Taxi Driver, etc. *When I say great I mean like an early generation, pristine film element with great color. Not like an ESPN HD basketball game.

I very much hope you're right about The Guns Of Navarone but for a long time it has been accepted that the elements have been severely mis-handled and that no really high quality material still exists. DVD Savant wrote a short article about this some time ago. I imagine it's still obtainable on his web-site. I was surprised and delighted by the BRD of The Bridge On The River Kwai. If Grover Crisp and his team can produce a similar miracle with The Guns Of Navarone, no-one will be more pleased than I.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,425 posts

Posted August 29 2011 - 12:03 AM

Interesting that they finally announced a date that is only (less than) 2 weeks in the future. With the delay, I expected it to be released after The Guns of Navarone

I don't think Sony even sent out a press release on this title.

In fact, we haven't received a Sony press release in weeks (though I don't see other sites announcing The Caine Mutiny either).

The studio has been very low-key lately with their BD announcements.  Hope that changes soon.  They do great stuff!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,917 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 04 2011 - 01:44 AM

My BRD of this title has shipped to me.  As soon as I get it this BRD will be played in its entirety.  I should have it by Tuesday. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted September 04 2011 - 04:35 AM

someone over at Sony really dropped the ball on this. It's been listed as a placeholder on Amazon for months only to miraculously surface a few days before release? Unless this is an Amazon exclusive, no other retailer seems to have this title even listed.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,492 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 04 2011 - 06:20 AM

Quite odd isn't it that we're told catalogue titles aren't selling well - and I think that's a patent truth - and it was one of the driving forces behind Sony licensing out films to the likes of Image and Twilight Time, yet here Sony are shuffling catalogue titles out on the quiet? Very odd.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted September 05 2011 - 07:10 AM

Do you have a link for the interview with Grover Crisp? I was worried that if the Collector's Edition DVD had been scanned at 2K, that they would use that as the basis for the BRD, and that would not be good. As the screencaps at DVD Beaver show, the Collector's Edition looked a little too smooth and much much too orange.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,316 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted September 05 2011 - 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

I don't think Sony even sent out a press release on this title.

This may be an Amazon exclusive, which I believe would be a first for Sony. The Caine Mutiny BD is not appearing as a September release on the SPHE Connect website.

However, I did receive a press release for The Guns of Navarone BD.

Rich Gallagher

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,917 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2011 - 05:11 AM

Okay, I have the BRD in my hands.  There is an audio commentary with it by Richard Pena and Ken Bowser.  Also, a documentary "Behind The Caine Mutiny". I'll have a report by this evening. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,917 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2011 - 11:31 AM

I viewed the film in its entirety and in my opinion, it looks great.  The video has great detail with the right amount of film grain.  The audio has three options for English.  The one option I used to view the film was the 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio.  It has two mono audio options with one of them being the audio commentary.  The 35-36 minute featurette on The Caine Mutiny was very interesting as it focused on the producer, director, writer and the differences between the final film and the book.  I would like to view the BRD again with the audio commentary, but it won't be anytime soon as I have so many BRD I need to view first.  For 13.99, I'm very happy with this purchase. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,425 posts

Posted September 06 2011 - 11:51 AM

Glad to hear the transfer meets your criteria, Crawdaddy.

BTW, I just checked Amazon's price.  It was $19.99 and

now it's back down close to what you purchased it for.

Anyone that wants this Blu-ray can have it for $14.99 which is

an excellent deal.

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,684 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 04:57 AM

Cool. I should have mine tomorrow. I actually read the book in high school before seeing the film. As I recall, they follow the book rather closely. The main change was the ending, after the trial.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,917 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 07 2011 - 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by David_B_K 

Cool. I should have mine tomorrow. I actually read the book in high school before seeing the film. As I recall, they follow the book rather closely. The main change was the ending, after the trial.

That's correct!

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,999 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 07:04 AM

Glad to hear that you were pleased with the transfer, Robert. My copy of the Blu-ray is on the way. With any luck I may squeeze in a viewing this weekend. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 04:49 AM

I watched this last night. WOW. This is a seriously great image. At $14.99 this is a steal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users