What's new

The Caine Mutiny on BRD has a release date! (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
This is coming from a new 4K scan per an interview with Grover Crisp. Same with Guns of Navarone. They should both look great*, every bit the equal of Bridge On The River Kwai, Close Encounters, Harryhausen films, Taxi Driver, etc. *When I say great I mean like an early generation, pristine film element with great color. Not like an ESPN HD basketball game.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Interesting that they finally announced a date that is only (less than) 2 weeks in the future. With the delay, I expected it to be released after The Guns of Navarone

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Scott Calvert said:
This is coming from a new 4K scan per an interview with Grover Crisp. Same with Guns of Navarone. They should both look great*, every bit the equal of Bridge On The River Kwai, Close Encounters, Harryhausen films, Taxi Driver, etc. *When I say great I mean like an early generation, pristine film element with great color. Not like an ESPN HD basketball game.
I very much hope you're right about The Guns Of Navarone but for a long time it has been accepted that the elements have been severely mis-handled and that no really high quality material still exists. DVD Savant wrote a short article about this some time ago. I imagine it's still obtainable on his web-site. I was surprised and delighted by the BRD of The Bridge On The River Kwai. If Grover Crisp and his team can produce a similar miracle with The Guns Of Navarone, no-one will be more pleased than I.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Interesting that they finally announced a date that is only (less than) 2 weeks in the future. With the delay, I expected it to be released after The Guns of Navarone

I don't think Sony even sent out a press release on this title.

In fact, we haven't received a Sony press release in weeks (though I don't see other sites announcing The Caine Mutiny either).

The studio has been very low-key lately with their BD announcements. Hope that changes soon. They do great stuff!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My BRD of this title has shipped to me. As soon as I get it this BRD will be played in its entirety. I should have it by Tuesday.

Crawdaddy

ReggieW

Screenwriter
someone over at Sony really dropped the ball on this. It's been listed as a placeholder on Amazon for months only to miraculously surface a few days before release? Unless this is an Amazon exclusive, no other retailer seems to have this title even listed.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quite odd isn't it that we're told catalogue titles aren't selling well - and I think that's a patent truth - and it was one of the driving forces behind Sony licensing out films to the likes of Image and Twilight Time, yet here Sony are shuffling catalogue titles out on the quiet? Very odd.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Scott Calvert said:
Do you have a link for the interview with Grover Crisp? I was worried that if the Collector's Edition DVD had been scanned at 2K, that they would use that as the basis for the BRD, and that would not be good. As the screencaps at DVD Beaver show, the Collector's Edition looked a little too smooth and much much too orange.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I don't think Sony even sent out a press release on this title.

This may be an Amazon exclusive, which I believe would be a first for Sony. The Caine Mutiny BD is not appearing as a September release on the SPHE Connect website.

However, I did receive a press release for The Guns of Navarone BD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, I have the BRD in my hands. There is an audio commentary with it by Richard Pena and Ken Bowser. Also, a documentary "Behind The Caine Mutiny".

I'll have a report by this evening.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed the film in its entirety and in my opinion, it looks great. The video has great detail with the right amount of film grain. The audio has three options for English. The one option I used to view the film was the 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio. It has two mono audio options with one of them being the audio commentary. The 35-36 minute featurette on The Caine Mutiny was very interesting as it focused on the producer, director, writer and the differences between the final film and the book. I would like to view the BRD again with the audio commentary, but it won't be anytime soon as I have so many BRD I need to view first. For 13.99, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glad to hear the transfer meets your criteria, Crawdaddy.

BTW, I just checked Amazon's price. It was $19.99 and

now it's back down close to what you purchased it for.

Anyone that wants this Blu-ray can have it for $14.99 which is

an excellent deal.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Cool. I should have mine tomorrow. I actually read the book in high school before seeing the film. As I recall, they follow the book rather closely. The main change was the ending, after the trial.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by David_B_K

Cool. I should have mine tomorrow. I actually read the book in high school before seeing the film. As I recall, they follow the book rather closely. The main change was the ending, after the trial.

That's correct!

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that you were pleased with the transfer, Robert. My copy of the Blu-ray is on the way. With any luck I may squeeze in a viewing this weekend. - Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks