-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo Surround Sound Rear speakers no sound but work?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 01:53 AM

I have hooked up my Onkyo 5.1 Surround sound plus sub to my TV/entertainment system. The speakers all work I tested them. When I watch TV the front speakers and sub work fine. The rear speakers I don't hear any sound. Is there a setting that I should have selected in order to use the rear speakers? I tried atching my 3D underwater Bluray DVD and I didn'yt hear sound from the rears. Thanks

#2 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 03:40 AM

HTS 3300 I believe ( I will have to check when I get home but I believe this is the one. How can I test the rear speaker? A movie?

#3 of 10 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 04:51 AM

How did you connect the TV and HTiB? If you connected a TV out to the HTiB in, then you are only getting a stereo signal. To get all speakers to work you need to use a simulated surround setting. It would be better to connect the TV signal to the HTiB first, then output just the video to the TV.

#4 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi What is a simulated surround setting. It would be better to connect the TV signal to the HTiB first, then output just the video to the TV. I have the TV connected to the HTiB (all by HDMI) Then Fios box to HTiB and PS3 to HTiB.

#5 of 10 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 08:49 AM

It looks like you've made the correct connections. So like someone else mentioned it may just be that the TV channel you're watching isn't broadcasting in full surround (but a lot do, so check around, at least for a test). If you're going directly to the receiver, the receiver should show "Dolby DD" or "(the other one, I'm blanking out)" The simulated surround settings that will give you sound from all speakers are the PLII, Neo, or all channel stereo settings. If those don't send sound to the rears then something more obscure is wrong.

#6 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 24 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have the Avx280 onkyo system. I have to test it with a good DVD bc I don't hear the rears.

#7 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 25 2011 - 04:30 AM

So I still haven't heard my speakers work while watching TV in DOLBY DIGITAL I hooked it up all correct. I do not understand what is wrong. This is mind boggling.

#8 of 10 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted August 25 2011 - 11:10 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you have a channel "B" error. Make sure only "Speaker A" is selected (not "A & B"). If you have turned B "on" the receiver shuts down the surround channels. If that isn't the problem, make sure none of the speakers are actually wired into speaker B on the back panel.

#9 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 04:39 AM

That was it after I read the manual last night going through all connections etc. I noticed I had both speakers A&B on and thought A was for fronts and B for backs. It works. Thanks

#10 of 10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 01 2011 - 01:11 PM

I must have messed up a setting now I only get my rears and center no fronts arrrgghhhh any ideas thanks