What's new

Is the Samsung PN64D550 64" Plasma a good TV? Whats better about the higher end Samsungs? (1 Viewer)

wmblalock

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I was looking at the Samsung PN64D550 64" Series 5 Plasma TV and had some questions that I was hoping you guys could shed some light on. Does anyone have any experience with this TV? Opinions? I was wondering how it compares to the higher end Samsung series 7 and 8 series TVs as far as the picture is concerned. I compared the specs at Samsung's website and the only real difference I could see is that the 7 and 8 series have some feature called "FHD Motion" where the 5 series does not. I tried to look up what "FHD Motion" is and all I can find is that its Full 1080P HD Video support. I thought that's what all 1080P capable TVs including the PN64D550 have. Is "FHD Motion" some type of legit enhancement / improvement the Samsung 7 / 8 series have over the PN64D550 5 series, or is it just advertising fluff? My budget is around $2k, I definitely want a 3D TV and would like something 64"+ in size. I can get the Samsung PN64D550 64" Series 5 Plasma TV for $1860 shipped to my door. The series 7 is $550 more, and the series 8 is $670 more. I don't want to pay a premium for extras that aren't related to longevity or picture quality such as thinness of the tv, web apps, bezel finish, etc. On the same hand, I don't want to go cheap and get something with a noticeably inferior picture. With that said, where does the PN64D550 64" Series 5 Plasma TV stand, especially as far as picture quality? I don't want to get the PN64D550 if I am going to compare it to more expensive models and be disappointed in my picture quality. Lastly, what about Plasma vs LCD. By what I read, Plasma isn't inferior to LCD anymore. I know it will be heavier and put off a little more heat, but other than that is there any significant disadvantage? Thanks for the help guys, any opinions, info, or model suggestions would be greatly appreciated! - Mike

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Probably the best way to find out what "FHD Motion" is would be to download the manuals for the different TVs from the Samsung website and give them a looking over (it's a good idea, in general to do this, as it will help you understand the setup options available with each model).

I can't be certain, and I have no direct experience with any of these sets, but it sounds like it might be a frame interpolation feature. If so, many people find the end result off-putting - do a google search for "soap opera effect" to see what people think of these "enhancements".

My only advice would be to go with a set that allows you (through easily accessible setup menus) to disable ALL image "enhancements". If you're concerned with ultimate picture quality and fidelity, then I assume you will properly calibrate the display using a calibration disc such as Digital Video Essentials, Avia, Spears & Munsil or the Disney "Wow" disc.

Virtually all artificial "enhancements" actually degrade the picture quality, so it's essential to be able to bypass them.

Finally, as to the Plasma vs. LCD debate, I don't think Plasma was EVER inferior to LCD. For a long while the price premium they carried was the primary differentiator that enabled LCD to capture such a large market share. As far as I can remember, anyone whose main concern was image fidelity was steered to Plasma. Fears of "burn-in" are largely moot if one takes care of their display and properly calibrates it.

Good luck in your purchase.

wmblalock

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the advice. I wish I could find a retail store with this tv on display. Id really like to see if whatever makes the other tvs this size $550+ more expensive is worth it. I don't want to spend over $2k, but unless is a drastic difference I don't want to settle for a 60" either. I guess either way I will be blown away by how much better the picture is when compared to my 42" vizio lcd. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks