What's new

WSJ: iPad 3 with Retina Display early 2012 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, the third coming of the iPad 3 will not happen

this year after all.

WSJ is reporting that in early 2012 we will see an

iPad 3 with retina display.

Looking forward to upgrading my iPad 1. I did not

feel that iPad 2 was a suitable step up but the iPad 3

certainly does.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
That would be pretty cool. I have an iPad 2 and never bought the original ipad. I wouldn't udpate to the three unless I could sell my 2 for close to $400. Wonder what they will do with the iPad 4!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Considering this is an article from the same publication that Walt “Apple Flack” Mossberg works for gives it a little more credibility in my book.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Did you happen to noticed that I said it was the same publication? I didn't say it was a Walt article but the editor most certainly asked Walt his opinion before they went to press.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As the saying goes you and Ron are entitled to your opinions but not your own facts. Ron posts thisvas fact, which it is not. Ron's track record lately hasn't been all that great either. :) Guessing that WSJ has 'cleared' a rumor article with Walt is silly and speculation to boot. I also disagree with Rons assessment of iPad 1 vice 2, there is no comparison, even for just web browsing, and no going back. Saying that 2 wasn't a significant upgrade and a rumored 3 will be is just plain dumb IMO.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mad at what I wrote? Sorry if that's the case. It's the way I see it tho, there have been any number of rumors reported as stone facts here at HTF that simply didn't come true. Making purchase decisions based around rumors is always tricky, claiming that a vapor product is superior to an existing one doesn't really make sense to me. Obviously we all expect the iPad3 to be "better" but the devil is in the details.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, Sam, that is where you are dead wrong.

Nothing has been reported here as stone cold fact.

Take this thread for instance which you poo-poo'd all over....

WSJ: iPad 3 with Retina Display Early 2012.

That's not me saying it's coming. All I am doing is

reporting what is being widely posted across the Internet.

If I was indeed reporting this as fact I would have posted:

iPad 3 definitely coming 2012

Meanwhile, you have made yourself out to be some
all-knowing guru with posts like "I told you so" after you

get lucky predicting that a particular Apple product is
surfacing or not.

Let's face it, Sam, NOBODY knows what Apple is up

to at any given time. We get pieces of information and

that's about it. However, that information is readily shared

with source and it's up to the reader to decide whether he

or she believes it to be valid.

For you to say, "I told you so" is just something you got

lucky on. In the meantime, you don't hesitate to poop on

any news that gets posted here or blame HTF for spreading

bad information.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
"So, the third coming of the iPad 3 will not happen this year after all. " That's presented as a statement of fact Ron, that's what I poo-poo, not the links to speculation. As the article itself says Apple refused to comment, as they always do. Basing predictions on suppliers is always dicey with Apple, they have been wrong so many times its not funny. Apple also rivals the soviets in their current counter-intel capabilities, it's believed that many fake stories are floated to see where they leak... Edit: for the record I never once believed that there would be two iPad launches this year, but would be very happy to be surprised.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Guessing that WSJ has 'cleared' a rumor article with Walt is silly and speculation to boot.
I don’t know Sam, I worked for a news organization for almost two years, not some blog or web page but an honest to gosh news organization that actually had people who were trained journalists. To think the editors would have used their own in house resource and asked Walt his opinion on the article is hardly silly. That is not to say Walt has the power to kill an article or that because they printed it the article’s information is a fact. It’s not and despite your comments I have not treated it as such. I just think it has a little more weight to it then say a blog you would write or some other person on the internet that has little or no resources.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I defer to your experience, but ask you to consider these two salient points: -Mossberg is -not- by his own definition, a journalist. http://allthingsd.com/author/walt/#walt-ethics -this article was written by the WSJ Asian correspondents office. While Walt does appear to have the ears and tongues of Apple more than any other mainstream writer I personally find it hard to believe he has the swing at WSJ to kill articles that relate to Apple. Again, I'm not in the news industry but if he DID have that kind of pull I'd characterize thatas a serious lapse of ethics.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

So, the third coming of the iPad 3 will not happen

this year after all.

[url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903596904576517674178129628.html]WSJ is reporting that in early 2012 we will see an

iPad 3 with retina display.

It never made sense for the iPad HD / 2 Pro / 3 to come out in 2011. Barring an unexpectedly strong showing from Android or HP or RIM, it seemed an impossible idea. And the original notion was simple noodling on the part of John Gruber.

As for 2012: I bet the iPad 3 will come in March or April, like the first and second iPads did, as any casual Apple observer. Now since the WSj appears to be the unofficially official mouthpiece of Apple, this might be another article "by" Apple to remind everyone that, no, really and truly, they're not doing an iPad 3 this year despite the rumor-mongering of all those online yahoos.

Apple's routine isn't carved in stone, as we find with the 2011 iPhone apparently launching in Fall and not Summer, but still they seem to have general habits far: one new device a year, about the same time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess my son won't want to wait much longer then if iPad 3 won't likely come out til next Spring... I'm trying to at least have him wait to see what Amazon whips up before making the jump, but haven't heard anything new on that front in some time either...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For that one they're going retro. 320x240 screen; tinny speaker; 1200 baud modem; 68000 processor. You should get the iPad 3 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks