What's new

HP is exiting the consumer electronics business! What does this mean to you? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Based on the headline I assumed it was just the TV business (which they had already mostly exited), Ditching PCs (and printers?) is a huge change for them. WebOs getting kicked to the curb is probably good for Microsoft though assuming they can get Win8 out and into tablets soon.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
WebOS demise was just a mater time. No developer support no product. HP leaving the PC business could be a much bigger thing. If you look at all the problems Acer has had and now HP it is showing the PC business has never been a profitable endeavor. I built and sold PCs back in the 486 days and I never made much. Profits for hardware are just not there.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've owned HP in the past and to be honest, maybe a long time ago (think over a decade) they may have made some pretty solid stuff, but everything since then has been pretty mediocre at best. The only HP I own is a printer and to be honest I regret buying it because it just blows through ink and the print quality for photos is clearly lower than my friend's comparably priced Canon printer. If they stop making ink (which I'm not sure if they will or not since it's such a cash cow for them) it will be bittersweet. Bad because I'll soon have a 10lbs paperweight that looks like a printer. But good because then I'll spring for a nice new Canon photo printer. Had a friend who was laid off from HP (her entire division was eliminated) a few years ago and she saw something like this coming down the pike even then. Their consumer electronics business has been hemorrhaging money for some time.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
For those who go back a LONG way this announcement also means something else: Compaq, one of the original clones, will now be completely no more.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ordinarily I don't follow these things and they rarely faze me anymore, and I know nothing at all of WebOS, Tablets, or any of this other trendy stuff. What I do know is that I just happen to have had several HP products that were more solid and dependable than many others. My own first ever PC was an HP 386sx back in 1993 or so, which I believe survived several lives, for me and a couple of people it got passed on to. My first laptop in 2006 was heavy and built like the proverbial brick shithouse, which was exactly what I wanted -- a solid computer that was "portable" rather than some lightweight thing. (That's just me, or it was then.) Its one physical weakness was a screen hinge design that was destined to break, one side at a time. I'm still delighted with the L7650 all-in-one printer (which is sitting right behind me or I wouldn't have remembered the model number), but I'm still grateful I was able to have my company pay for it instead of opening my own wallet. I forget what else. But with their few faults, all of these things served me well. RIP.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Argh! Both of my primary computers are HP products (one HP, one Compaq). I, too, use an HP flat wireless keyboard as my primary writing tool. I am completely astonished by this news!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The article I just read from my CompTIA feed indicated that HP is looking to sell or spin-off their PC division, much like IBM did with Lenovo. So, the HP "brand" may live on....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Butbutbut who will make low quality shiny computers for soccermoms now? =p Seriously tho, I was shocked to hear about this but I think their reasoning is sound. The difference between them and IBM is that Big Blue didn't make that big a deal about it and slid out and onto different things and HP isn't going to have that luxury. They are doing the right thing now, before it's too late, getting out of the PC bus, but it remains to be seen if they can be relevant with something else.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
God, word is already out that Acer is a suitor for their marketspace. The problem is, when Acer bought Gateway and eMachine, they bought them whole and marketed under their brand name. Buying HPs division buys.. what? Pavilion?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Both of my current home computers are HP laptops ... but our family also has *two* iPads (one first-gen and one iPad 2) -- and I have to admit that we rarely turn the laptops on anymore. My daughter seems quite happy pairing a Bluetooth keyboard to her iPad2 and doing all of her homework via iWorks. And she can simultaneously Facebook, Skype, run Pandora, read books, and view TV shows and Movies. She's completely happy with the machine. For my part, about the only time I turn the HP laptop on is when I need to do some video editing work .. and to sync the iPads. Once the iCloud-enabled iOS 5 hits, the latter chore will apparently no longer be required. To tell you the truth, if I could purchase an iPad with a "Thunderport" so I could dock it to a large hard drive and monitor my PC days would be done. So I suppose HP is doing the right thing here. But I *will* miss the "good ole" PC days. My first portable computer was a Compaq -- and now the company that purchased them is getting out of the business. Changing times, indeed!!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Kevin Collins said:
AP Press just reported today that HP is exiting the consumer electronics business
Tablets, yes. PCs, maybe. But I bet they're not looking to get rid of the part of their consumer electronics business that has to do with that high-margin inkjet ink.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thomas Newton said:
Tablets, yes. PCs, maybe. But I bet they're not looking to get rid of the part of their consumer electronics business that has to do with that high-margin inkjet ink.
You mean the one where they fill up the ink tanks only 1/3 or 1/2 way? Yes my friend who used to work at HP admitted that to me.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
An article I read had mentioned Samsung, which has been trying to break into this marketplace for several years, but unsuccessfully.

Originally Posted by mattCR

God, word is already out that Acer is a suitor for their marketspace. The problem is, when Acer bought Gateway and eMachine, they bought them whole and marketed under their brand name. Buying HPs division buys.. what? Pavilion?

/t/314058/hp-is-exiting-the-consumer-electronics-business-what-does-this-mean-to-you#post_3842511

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I agree, HP is better known for consumer printers than computers and laptops.

Originally Posted by Thomas Newton

Originally Posted by Kevin Collins [url=/t/314058/hp-is-exiting-the-consumer-electronics-business-what-does-this-mean-to-you#post_3842396]

AP Press just reported today that HP is exiting the consumer electronics business

/t/314058/hp-is-exiting-the-consumer-electronics-business-what-does-this-mean-to-you#post_3842584

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
You mean the one where they fill up the ink tanks only 1/3 or 1/2 way? Yes my friend who used to work at HP admitted that to me.
I used to work for HP's IPG division and this statement is total bullshit. All manufacturing processes are subject to some product not being manufactured to design specs but the idea that HP is deliberately shorting the ink is laughable. Third parties test that cartridges all the time and if it became apparent that HP was consistently overstating the page yields (which would be the result if they were shorting the ink) the class action law suits would be piling up. As for IPG, I would be really surprised if they were to sell that division. It makes a lot of money and they are still the market leader in terms of units placed in the enterprise market.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I'm going to call you on this one (and on your insulting language). What's more, I have first-hand proof. I bought an HP printer from Best Buy before my friend told me this (I still own it) and despite coming with sealed cartridges, I got *maybe* 20-25 pages worth of color printouts before certain ink colors started to run out. Not full color photo prints either (though I may have printed a couple of 5X7 photos, but mostly normal text with some colored graphics.
Patrick_S said:
I used to work for HP's IPG division and this statement is total bullshit. All manufacturing processes are subject to some product not being manufactured to design specs but the idea that HP is deliberately shorting the ink is laughable. Third parties test that cartridges all the time and if it became apparent that HP was consistently overstating the page yields (which would be the result if they were shorting the ink) the class action law suits would be piling up. As for IPG, I would be really surprised if they were to sell that division. It makes a lot of money and they are still the market leader in terms of units placed in the enterprise market.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I'm not the only one with this experience (this is my exact cartridge model that I use): http://freedomtoprint.com/2010/02/05/cartridges-hp-hewlett-packard-564-and-564xl-ink-cartridges/
Looks like Hewlett Packard is taking a page out of the Epson, Canon, and Brother playbooks. HP has some new printers that use individual ink tanks, as well as a dual cartridge marketing strategy – the 564 series ink cartridge. There are two types of these cartridges, the half-full of ink HP 564, and the mostly full of ink HP 564XL series cartridge. Both cartridges are physically the same size, however HP fills the XL up with ink, and only puts about half the ink for the 564 series cartridges.
I noted that the XL cartridge sizes for the photo black and colors are the same size as the non-XL 564. Yet the yield is supposedly higher. The regular black XL cartridge though is bigger than its non-XL counterpart.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok I have a better idea where you are coming from but really it's a non-issue. Your original statement is accurate but it is also meaningless. So the regular cartridges are not filled all the way to that top. They don't have to be to meet the stated yields. HP also charges you less for them and when you buy the XL model that is filled to the top it costs you more. There is nothing wrong, deceptive or dishonest with this business practice. Of course it would be an issue if HP stated that a cartridge will yield x amount of pages and then filled the cartridges so no one could ever meet the stated yield. If anyone thinks HP is doing that they simply do not have a clue about what they are talking about.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Patrick - this the last I'm going to talk about this because I really have no vetted interest for/against HP. My next printer will be a Canon so I'm washing my hands of this HP business. You say my point is meaningless and how it would really be something if HP's amounts didn't meet their stated yield. Read that link I posted again. They state:
*Please. We seriously doubt those page count numbers. You can figure about 40% less for everyday printing. They put the same information on the box our Photosmart B8550 tabliod sizes inkjet printer.
And as I said, I got maybe 2 5x7 photos (which I know take up more ink) and maybe 25 (at the most) text with light graphics in my initial yield before the color ink tanks were requesting to be replaced. There's no way that was anywhere near non-XL rated yields of 300 pages. Contrast that with some of the experiences the Canon Pixmas are getting, especially the Pro9000 Mark II. Many sites are reporting that the yields they get with it are surprisingly high. Given that Canon gets most of their revenue from their other businesses it seems their business model isn't to bleed consumers dry with refillable ink costs. HPs other businesses were clearly failures given their recent move. And things have been sour for HP for a while. As I said, my friend's entire R&D dept was eliminated, but they'd seen plenty of their colleagues let go in the 12-18 months prior to their elimination. And this was right before and leading up to the Great Recession.

Users who are viewing this thread