Shout Factory

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#141 of 298 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 03:08 PM

Surely it was.  And while I'm happy for those that wanted it, the news does absolutely zilch for me. 

Gary "just more proof that Shout is moving away from the stuff I'd like to see - oh well" O.

Gary, I'm right with ya on this one. Everybody has different preferences though and I'm sure some are thrilled. I'm glad for fans of MHMH. Upcoming releases are a crap shoot. Unfortunately for me, I'm going through a period where the stuff announced for release in the near future (save Naked City and Mod Squad) are nothing I am interested in. I am hoping for better luck next year with shows of a higher interest level to me (Hillbillies, The Rebel, Cannon, and others).

#142 of 298 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 03:18 PM

I did want to mention too that even though I personally don't much care for MHMH, it is nice to see Shout releasing a classic show from the 70's again instead of the newer stuff they have been putting out recently. While CBS's approach lately has been to move toward releasing shows like Touched By An Angel and Becker which, although maybe good shows, are not classic TV by any stretch. IMO

#143 of 298 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 04:04 PM

It's not like the other Nickelodeon shows won't sell. Captain Planet was dropped after a single release. Even lesser Nick titles like Catdog and Wild Thornberries sold well enough to be completed on DVD. Imagine how well Rugrats would sell.

Look at how Paramount and Nick ignored Hey Dude for the duration of the "Golden Age of Home Video". It wasn't even deemed marketable enough for a CreateSpace release. Yet the whole series is out now.

Edited by Ken_Martinez, August 28 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#144 of 298 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm dismayed that Shout hasn't picked up any more Nickelodeon shows. Where's Rugrats? Doug? The eternally incomplete Pete and Pete and Clarissa? Why is Shout releasing a You Can't Do That on Television documentary but not the actual show (which Nick is putting out in fistfuls on iTunes)?

Obviously there's a market for the Nick catalog, since all the shows they've put out have sold well enough to be completed (some sold so well as to warrant complete series sets).

Apparently, horror movies and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman are simply bigger priorities for them now.

I am a firm believer that everyone has their preferences and personally I don't even like MHMH or some of the horror series but Clarissa Explains It ALL and Doug don't not quite constitute classic TV. IMO. MHMA was a critically acclaimed show from the 70's

#145 of 298 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 07:57 PM

Updated listing,

The following was added to the completed list since the last update:

The Wild Thornberry's (Seasons 4&5 will be released on September 10)

Status updates

Big Bad Beetleborgs & VR Troopers have been changed to 'Abandoned' as it has been announced that there will be no further releases due to poor sales.

#146 of 298 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:39 PM

Those Shout boys, they done it again, rescuing another abandoned series that gonna make you folks pretty happy. All I can say is that this one has been longer than MHMH was. Can't say any more, otherwise I'll have to go into witness protection. Its not Maude.

• Radioman970 likes this

#147 of 298 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:53 PM

Well let's see assuming it were Sony and if they're still on a Norman Lear kick it would be either "The Jeffersons" or "One Day At A Time".    Neither of which would really excite me since at most only one more Jeffersons season for their "Who Shot JR" parody episode would have interested me.

Can't alas be the final season of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" since the last one was released two months after MHMH was first released so that means it's not longer than MHMH.   The only other Universal title that could be possible would be "McCloud" which would excite me, but I won't hold up hope.     (Of course when it comes to Universal titles, Shout would be well-advised to finish what they started with Ironside and Marcus Welby MD).

#148 of 298 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,793 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 05 2013 - 02:50 AM

Archie Bunker's Place...?

*sells soul to devil to make it so*

Don't worry, I had an extra soul laying around and gave horned one that. I'll be fine. 

Edited by Radioman970, September 05 2013 - 02:50 AM.

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#149 of 298 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 04:06 AM

I'm on board with thinking "One Day At A Time."

#150 of 298 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 04:28 AM

With CBS showing a willingness to license (Mod Squad), I'm just wondering if we might see something like Bilko, My 3 Sons, Or Barnaby Jones.

One non-CBS possibility, Big Valley also occurred to me.

#151 of 298 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 04:54 AM

I wouldn't predict the resue of any Fox titles at this point much as I'd dearly love to see "The Big Valley" rescued from oblivion.

#152 of 298 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 02:28 PM

If by 'longer than MHMH' Neil means this secret show has been stalled that long, it wouldn't be ONE DAY AT A TIME since S1 of that show came out in Spring 2007 AFTER the Volume 1 of MHMH.

My guess is that they've finally worked out the kinks with GREEN ACRES (S3 was released in Dec 2005) and Shout is bringing us the complete series. In light of the recent announcement about PJ and BH, this is awesome news if my guess is correct.

On the other hand, Shout seems to be going like gangbusters on finishing off Sony properties, so it could be they are planning on a box set of THE JEFFERSONS, ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE, THE FLYING NUN, TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT, FAMILY or HART TO HART. All of these have been stalled longer than--or in the case of THE JEFFERSONS--as long as MHMH was stalled.

I wish it were MAUDE or ONE DAY--but with each series they complete, the chances improve of these ones getting their due someday.

Edited by Kasey, September 08 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#153 of 298 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 580 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 08:54 AM

Kasey, which episode of Maude with Bea Arthur is your avatar from?

#154 of 298 OFFLINE   Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted September 08 2013 - 10:02 AM

My guess will be LOVE BOAT, simply because CBS has licensed other shows recently, and the transfers are supposedly remastered.  I suspect whatever they do will be a complete series release, as they've been doing recently with other classic TV shows (Dobie Gillis, Mary Hartman). 

However, I think LOVE BOAT hasn't been stalled as long as Mary Hartman, so who knows?

Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#155 of 298 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,146 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 08 2013 - 10:09 AM

If by 'longer than MHMH' Neil means this secret show has been stalled that long, it wouldn't be ONE DAY AT A TIME since S1 of that show came out in Spring 2007 AFTER the Volume 1 of MHMH.

My guess is that they've finally worked out the kinks with GREEN ACRES (S3 was released in Dec 2005) and Shout is bringing us the complete series. In light of the recent announcement about PJ and BH, this is awesome news if my guess is correct.

On the other hand, Shout seems to be going like gangbusters on finishing off Sony properties, so it could be they are planning on a box set of THE JEFFERSONS, ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE, THE FLYING NUN, TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT, FAMILY or HART TO HART. All of these have been stalled longer than--or in the case of THE JEFFERSONS--as long as MHMH was stalled.

I wish it were MAUDE or ONE DAY--but with each series they complete, the chances improve of these ones getting their due someday.

Sony and stalled longer than Mary Hartman = Who's The Boss.

Yeah, I know, a long shot.

#156 of 298 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 10:20 AM

If it were "Hart To Hart" that would excite me since its the only long-term stalled Sony title of interest to me ("Fantasy Island" is not long-term stalled at this point, but stalled again nonetheless).    "Flying Nun" I'm surprised they didn't release sooner as it has only needed one release to be complete and considering they did finish out other one season needed only titles like "Here Come The Brides", "S.W.A.T" and "Hardy Boys", this would have seemed a natural for them.

#157 of 298 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 10:44 AM

Sony and stalled longer than Mary Hartman = Who's The Boss.

Yeah, I know, a long shot.

Without doing the research to see if it meets all the criteria laid out for us, I'll say this as well since I predicted it last time.  And while I wouldn't buy it, I do have a good friend here who would so I'm hoping it's either that or Love Boat.  Either will make my friend happy.  Unless Shout strikes a deal to release Lassie or some other b/w series, I'm probably not going to be interested in anything Shout releases from this point going forward.  But I'm very thankful for what they have put out in the past.  But for them I'd not have complete sets of Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver, among others.

Gary "fearing that the golden age of TV on DVD is quickly fading - at least for me it is" O.

• Jeff Willis likes this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#158 of 298 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 10:51 AM

Kasey, which episode of Maude with Bea Arthur is your avatar from?

The screen cap is from the S3 episode "Vivian's Party" in which Maude furiously throws herself into making preparations for a fancy dinner party with prominent guests only to discover that she and Walter are not even invited. It's one of the best episodes with awesome line readings by all, but Bill Macy really shines during the "Fay Wray" sequence--check it out. Someone has it posted on Youtube.

Edited by Kasey, September 08 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#159 of 298 OFFLINE   Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 12:05 PM

If we're talking about a show that's been stalled for even longer than Mary Hartman was, then going by the release dates on Amazon, it wouldn't be The Jeffersons because the last season released (Season 6) came out on the same day as MH, MH Vol. 1 (March 27, 2007) and not earlier. Also, One Day At A Time came out a month after MH, MH (but hopefully someday it too will be unstalled).

Neil didn't specify that it would be another Sony property, but if it is then Hart to Hart (not counting the later TV movies) and Archie Bunker's Place have been stalled longer than MH, MH. I'd be happy to finally get the rest of either of these shows.

If it's not a Sony show, I couldn't begin to guess. Barnaby Jones and My Three Sons have been mentioned, but both had their last releases in 2010. I agree with Jack that I'm not expecting it to be anything from Fox. (If it were, though, I'd have my fingers crossed for Hill Street Blues.) Also, I have a feeling if McCloud ever gets unstalled, VEI will be the company to do it rather than Shout.

So there may be an obvious choice I'm missing, but I'm stumped.

Edited by Dave Lawrence, September 08 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#160 of 298 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted September 09 2013 - 02:39 AM

Without doing the research to see if it meets all the criteria laid out for us, I'll say this as well since I predicted it last time.  And while I wouldn't buy it, I do have a good friend here who would so I'm hoping it's either that or Love Boat.  Either will make my friend happy.  Unless Shout strikes a deal to release Lassie or some other b/w series, I'm probably not going to be interested in anything Shout releases from this point going forward.  But I'm very thankful for what they have put out in the past.  But for them I'd not have complete sets of Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver, among others.

Gary "fearing that the golden age of TV on DVD is quickly fading - at least for me it is" O.

2elv0vc.jpg

2j0gn5w.jpg

• Gary OS likes this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users