Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shout! Factory TV Series Status Page

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#121 of 312 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted July 13 2013 - 06:27 AM

IMHO video tape didn't take off like DVDs because they were bulky, expensive, and easily damaged.

The same can probably be said of laserdisc.

With that being said.  Back in the late 1980's I was wondering why movies were not being released on discs the size of cds.  (I wasn't aware of vcd at all).

#122 of 312 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,241 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted July 13 2013 - 11:17 AM

If I didn't know better I'd have sworn I posted that! :D  It's my mentality exactly and has been since I started collecting books and records at the ripe age of 16.  I'm fortunate that my wife fully understands.  She gives me grief every time I make a purchase but she understands. :)

I download a lot of music from Amazon but I also try to make sure I back it up to an external hard drive (just bought a new one yesterday) and a CD copy. I've had a computer crash before and I almost lost a ton of music. I managed to get it back up and got everything backed up to an external (the one I just replaced, actually).

Doing some more googling, it appears Columbia House released quite a few tv shows on vhs back in the 1990's.

- Airwolf

- All In The Family

- Cheers

- CHiPs

- Dallas

- Hogan's Heroes

- Knight Rider

- Lost In Space

- M*A*S*H

- Maverick

- Miami Vice

- Mission Impossible

- Night Gallery

- Sanford and Son

- Wonder Woman

Some tv shows on laserdisc listed on lddb.com:

http://www.lddb.com/...h=*&category=34

It appears "tv on vhs" and laserdisc, were both highly niche markets back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Personally, I wasn't even aware of Columbia House's "tv on vhs" catalog during the 1990's.  Back then, I only ever heard of Star Trek and X-Files being released on vhs or laserdisc.  (This was largely due to a friend who was a hardcore fan of both Star Trek and X-Files, who had many of these episodes on laserdisc.  Sometimes we watched Star Trek on laserdisc at his place).

They also did "The Dukes of Hazzard" on VHS via Columbia House. My ex-wife and I ordered a few on VHS in the early 2000's.

My set of The Beverly Hillbillies was purchased from a lady on eBay. I made a ridiculous "best offer" of $40 figuring she would counter with something a bit higher but cheaper than her asking price (I don't even remember what it was now). She accepted it, surprising the heck outta me.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#123 of 312 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted July 13 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yes, very much niche.  I got those catalogs but couldn't justify the ~$18 per tape for the series.  Keep in mind a half hour series had 4 episodes per tape and an hour series had 2.  It could get quite pricey.  The first Star Trek release by CH was the same individual tapes that Paramount sold at retail.  You got 2 tapes per month with a price structure as if both episodes were on a single tape - ~$22 after shipping - ~$900 for the full series!  You can see why I don't like to think about it much.  In a second cycle they changed it to 2 episodes per tape.  That's also how they released Star Trek: The Next Generation with that service.

Just for laughs, i checked Ebay,

and right now you can buy all 84 tapes of ST:TNG for $75 !!

That's right, it took 84 vhs tapes!!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a27d1effe

There are a ton of Columbia House released VHS sets on Ebay, 

I had no idea that so many series were sold by them.

Edited by derosa, July 13 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#124 of 312 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted July 13 2013 - 01:28 PM

(On the original topic).

If Shout Factory is slowly exiting the tv on dvd market, what is the likelihood of somebody else taking it up?

For example, would somebody like Mill Creek or Echo Bridge take up the slack on stalled tv on dvd titles (if the contract terms are satisfactory to them) ?

A few years ago, Mill Creek released/re-released quite a few Stephen J. Cannell tv shows.

Awhile ago Mill Creek was re-releasing a lot of Sony and Touchstone catalog titles, while Echo Bridge was re-releasing a lot of Miramax/Dimension catalog titles on dvd/bluray.

#125 of 312 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 01:32 PM

So is Pee Wee the set that was being hinted at earlier in this thread?  :P

Gary "just kidding, I'm sure that's not the big name series that is supposed to be coming later in the year" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#126 of 312 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,534 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 02:13 PM

VCD was very pixelated probably a little worse quality then a good VHS. Laserdisc was head and shoulders above both VHS and VCD for quality. DVD greatly improved picture quality over LD but never matched the quality of the Audio on LD's due to the compression on DVD vs. no Compression on LD. The uncompressed Audio of Blu-Rays surpasses LD though.

The same can probably be said of laserdisc.

With that being said.  Back in the late 1980's I was wondering why movies were not being released on discs the size of cds.  (I wasn't aware of vcd at all).

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#127 of 312 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,534 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 02:13 PM

VCD was very pixelated probably a little worse quality then a good VHS. It was cheaper to produce and popular in Asia. Laserdisc was head and shoulders above both VHS and VCD for quality. DVD greatly improved picture quality over LD but never matched the quality of the Audio on LD's due to the compression on DVD vs. no Compression on LD. The uncompressed Audio of Blu-Rays surpasses LD though.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#128 of 312 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 09:10 AM

Updated listing,

The following were added to the completed list since the last update:

Hey Dude (Final season released on July 16)

CatDog (Final season to be released on August 20)

#129 of 312 OFFLINE   earlytalkie

earlytalkie

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 07:08 AM

It indeed seems that Shout! Factory is taking a new direction in what it plans for the future. The Scream! division will have a broader appeal to a younger audience. When you don't see any activity on a series like Hazel, which had three releases in 2012, you have to wonder if the DVDs had little appeal to the average purchaser. In addition, when the shows were released there was an outcry from the people who did buy them criticizing the quality of the masters used as well as a few fanatics who complained about a couple of edited episodes. The Shout! Factory website was filled with posts, some hateful and personal complaining about the releases. The bottom line is, as has been posted here earlier, that companies like Shout! are in business for one reason: to make money. They won't make it catering to crabby old men like me. I agree with the earlier poster who is grateful for what Shout! has given us. I am not a completist, but I do have some wonderful episodes of Mister Ed, The Patty Duke Show, That Girl, Ozzie and Harriet and Hazel, all from Shout!. Back in the days of VHS, I would never have the number of episodes of these shows I have now on DVD. They just didn't issue complete season or series sets. Being a sixty-something, I would never sit down and watch a complete series from pilot to finale, but I like having "the cream" of some of these shows to watch whenever the mood strikes.

#130 of 312 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 08:40 AM

I can't fault Shout for much--edited episodes aside. Patty Duke, Dobie Gillis, Rhoda, That Girl, All in the Family, Facts of Life, Hazel, Police Woman, The Norm Show, Barney Miller, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Designing Women, The Goldebergs, Marcus Welby, Peyton Place and Here Come the Brides all line my shelves thanks to them. My only wish is that they finish with Season 5 of HAZEL and then I wouldn't really expect anything else from them. It is disappointing to get so close to finishing the series.

#131 of 312 OFFLINE   maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 08:46 AM

And what about the 7th and last season of Mr Ed. Shout should have complete this series

#132 of 312 OFFLINE   earlytalkie

earlytalkie

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 11:41 AM

Shout! probably would have finished Mister Ed if their relationship with Fox, the supplying company hadn't reportedly gone south. I understand that Fox asked for notably higher prices for Peyton Place from Shout! that they were not prepared to pay, resulting in the stalling of that series. It's all about the money.

Edited by earlytalkie, August 20 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#133 of 312 OFFLINE   earlytalkie

earlytalkie

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 03:12 PM

Neil, thanks much for the update on LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE, although the news itself certainly isn't good.  I'd still buy the series on DVD,even if the episodes were in a different format from the original broadcasts.

In the meantime, I'm loving THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS from Shout.

As I recall, Love, American Style went into network daytime reruns at some point. The original hour-long shows were re-edited into half-hours and they ran in that format for several years. The unsuccessful TV version of Barefoot In The Park was also included in this package. The first season may be the only one whose original hour-long elements were retained.

#134 of 312 ONLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 04:13 PM

I can't fault Shout for much--edited episodes aside. Patty Duke, Dobie Gillis, Rhoda, That Girl, All in the Family, Facts of Life, Hazel, Police Woman, The Norm Show, Barney Miller, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Designing Women, The Goldebergs, Marcus Welby, Peyton Place and Here Come the Brides all line my shelves thanks to them. My only wish is that they finish with Season 5 of HAZEL and then I wouldn't really expect anything else from them. It is disappointing to get so close to finishing the series.

I still keep up hope that the 5th season of Rhoda will be released by them.

#135 of 312 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 08:10 PM

Sadly, I've given up hope for the final season of Rhoda, any further seasons of The Rookies, Police Story or Police Woman. Bummer as I'd love to have complete runs of all of those shows.

#136 of 312 OFFLINE   earlytalkie

earlytalkie

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 12:34 PM

Mill Creek has just inked a deal with Sony Pictures to re-issue Sony Properties that have been previously released. This supposedly includes Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat and more, including many feature films. From what I read on TV Shows On DVD, this would not include previously unreleased seasons of anything at this time. Who knows about the future though? What this does seem to indicate is the end of Sony's relationship with Shout!Factory. I don't think that any properties that Shout! leases from Sony currently, like Hazel, or Dennis The Menace would be included in this deal. This dosen't look good for that last season of Hazel that many fans have been waiting for. I hope I'm wrong.

#137 of 312 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,947 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 28 2013 - 12:55 PM

I sure would like more Krofft stuff I don't have.  Was hoping for Shout! to take over... 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#138 of 312 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,278 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 28 2013 - 12:58 PM

IIRC, we discussed a major release from Shout some pages back.

So... was Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman the major release?

http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/18907

#139 of 312 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 01:50 PM

IIRC, we discussed a major release from Shout some pages back.

So... was Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman the major release?

http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/18907

Surely it was.  And while I'm happy for those that wanted it, the news does absolutely zilch for me. 

Gary "just more proof that Shout is moving away from the stuff I'd like to see - oh well" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#140 of 312 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm dismayed that Shout hasn't picked up any more Nickelodeon shows. Where's Rugrats? Doug? The eternally incomplete Pete and Pete and Clarissa? Why is Shout releasing a You Can't Do That on Television documentary but not the actual show (which Nick is putting out in fistfuls on iTunes)?

Obviously there's a market for the Nick catalog, since all the shows they've put out have sold well enough to be completed (some sold so well as to warrant complete series sets).

Apparently, horror movies and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman are simply bigger priorities for them now.

Edited by Ken_Martinez, August 28 2013 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users