Shout Factory

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#61 of 295 Wvtvguy

Wvtvguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 12:55 AM

Interesting thought I hadn't considered. I hope not. So many shows we're already stalled once & picked up by Shout! Would a 3rd company step in?

#62 of 295 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 07:22 AM

Shout! definitely seems to have undergone a change in philosphy regarding their TV on DVD releases over the past year or so. Whereas in the past they would stick with a title that may not have had overwhelming sales for at least a few more seasons, or shift it over to Shout Select, now they seem to fold much quicker on shows that aren't big movers. They do have their Timeless Media division now so in theory they could license somewhat more recent titles than they normally do, but I think that's not very likely.

#63 of 295 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 08:25 AM

PS - 5 will get you 10 Quincy will end up stalled eventually.

I think Quincy will be finished, it appears to be selling well and after this months release there are only two seasons left.  Shout! has released 3 seasons in the span of 7 months whereas Universal took 4 years to release the first three seasons so that tells me that this title is doing well for Shout!

I think the lack of any new classic TV on DVD releases has to do with Shout! being more selective in terms of what series they are looking to license.  I read a comment a while back on the Shout! board from B Ward, where he stated that they are looking to shift the focus towards more mainstream shows that have a bigger fanbase and thus will sell better than a lot of the stuff they have licensed has.  Many of the Sony shows they have acquired the rights to have not done well and are now pretty much abandoned.    They seem to be taking a more cautious approach, in terms of what shows they are looking to license, depending of course on whether they can acquire the rights.

A couple shows that I think might fit their strategy would be The Love Boat and Alfred Hitchcock Presents (if Universal doesn't continue releasing it?!).  Of course, I thought Fantasy Island would do well for them but it has apparently become stalled so what do I know?!

#64 of 295 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think Quincy will be finished, it appears to be selling well and after this months release there are only two seasons left.  Shout! has released 3 seasons in the span of 7 months whereas Universal took 4 years to release the first three seasons so that tells me that this title is doing well for Shout!

I think the lack of any new classic TV on DVD releases has to do with Shout! being more selective in terms of what series they are looking to license.  I read a comment a while back on the Shout! board from B Ward, where he stated that they are looking to shift the focus towards more mainstream shows that have a bigger fanbase and thus will sell better than a lot of the stuff they have licensed has.  Many of the Sony shows they have acquired the rights to have not done well and are now pretty much abandoned.    They seem to be taking a more cautious approach, in terms of what shows they are looking to license, depending of course on whether they can acquire the rights.

A couple shows that I think might fit their strategy would be The Love Boat and Alfred Hitchcock Presents (if Universal doesn't continue releasing it?!).  Of course, I thought Fantasy Island would do well for them but it has apparently become stalled so what do I know?!

So what are they considering more mainstream shows according to Mr. Ward? "Hey Dude?" Unbelievable.

#65 of 295 Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,005 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 10:04 AM

Ward, the same person who for more than two years posted misleading information on the status of "Ironside" and taught me to never trust Shout at all.     I knew they would not stick to the end with many of the new titles they were picking up and I can only be glad that "Hardy Boys" and "SWAT" required just one release to be finished.    I'm glad "Kojak" was fast-tracked to completion but I would have preferred more "Fantasy Island", more "Marcus Welby" and "Ironside" and less of certain other titles that I will not name to avoid offending fans of those shows.     

The day of reckoning has come where I think no more can the "help me Shout Factory, you're our only hope" philosophy that guided a lot of people a few years back be considered a viable option for the future of more vintage titles on TV.

#66 of 295 Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 12:21 PM

I wish someone could photoshop a growing nose (a la Pinocchio) onto Brian Ward's face.

The people living in there "help me Shout Factory, you're our only hope" fantasy are some of the sickest scums on the face of this Earth.

Edited by IntoIt, July 03 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#67 of 295 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well, I will tell you this. Come this fall, expect a big Shout Release in one huge box set. Should make a lot of people happy and it does fit the criteria of being a more popular, more mainstream show. And it is coming from the folks at Sony.

For those who don't like pre-release posts and complained about them, my apologies. For the rest of you, I'm sure many will be happy.

• Ron1973 likes this

#68 of 295 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well, I will tell you this. Come this fall, expect a big Shout Release in one huge box set. Should make a lot of people happy and it does fit the criteria of being a more popular, more mainstream show. And it is coming from the folks at Sony.

For those who don't like pre-release posts and complained about them, my apologies. For the rest of you, I'm sure many will be happy.

I'm glad to hear it. I'm just scratching my head at this point trying to figure out what in Sony's properties might constitute a "more mainstream" show as Ward defines the term. I guess time will tell.

#69 of 295 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,124 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 03 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm glad to hear it. I'm just scratching my head at this point trying to figure out what in Sony's properties might constitute a "more mainstream" show as Ward defines the term. I guess time will tell.

Jeffersons.

All I can think of. And it would be massive since the show was 11 seasons.

And, yeah, I've given up on Shout being the last hope for TV shows and have started hoping MoD direct from the companies will fill the classic TV niche.WB Archives is doing pretty well by classic TV fans, every now and then a Paramount or Fox show will come from Amazon, and maybe Sony will eventually get their MoD program cranking out shows instead of rereleasing already released sets.

#70 of 295 Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 03:27 PM

I would love to see Shout resurrect the LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE series.  Paramount only released the first season of it.

#71 of 295 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 04:14 PM

Jeffersons.

All I can think of. And it would be massive since the show was 11 seasons.

And, yeah, I've given up on Shout being the last hope for TV shows and have started hoping MoD direct from the companies will fill the classic TV niche.WB Archives is doing pretty well by classic TV fans, every now and then a Paramount or Fox show will come from Amazon, and maybe Sony will eventually get their MoD program cranking out shows instead of rereleasing already released sets.

The Jeffersons was the first one that came into my mind as well. The only issue that occurred to me was that since 6 seasons have already been released, I have a little trouble believing that Shout would put all that put into licensing it when over half the run has already been on the market for years.

#72 of 295 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,124 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 03 2013 - 04:26 PM

The Jeffersons was the first one that came into my mind as well. The only issue that occurred to me was that since 6 seasons have already been released, I have a little trouble believing that Shout would put all that put into licensing it when over half the run has already been on the market for years.

6 of 9 seasons of All in the Family had been released before Shout took over, and they eventually got a complete series set released in the deal.

Likewise, Leave It To Beaver had 2 of 6 seasons already released, and Shout did the complete series, followed by single releases.

And Route 66... the only thing unreleased was the final season, and they did the complete box and a solo season 4 release, and IIRC, are doubling back to do single releases of the first three seasons.

There's always a way to wring more sales out of already released product, and the complete box and single releases of the unreleased seasons would probably do the heavy lifting as far as making them back the money they laid out.

#73 of 295 Wvtvguy

Wvtvguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 05:05 PM

I hate Police Story only got one season released. I hope someone else gives it a chance.
  • hypnohighball likes this

#74 of 295 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 06:44 PM

Maybe all 6 seasons of Fantasy Island, plus the 1998 series? 

Shout has missed out on delivering season 4 since the last season

came out back in October, we should have seen a release in May.

#75 of 295 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 07:36 PM

Interesting, I guess that squashes any notion that the relationship between Sony & Shout! has soured.  It also reinforces my thought that Sony & Universal appear to be the only two outlets left from which they can license content.  Warner Bros. is releasing their stuff themselves as is Paramount, while Fox isn't licensing out anything (probably due to a high licensing fee).  This leaves only Sony & Universal as the only options- at least as far as the big studios go.

As far as the potential release goes, The Jeffersons would be my guess as well- if we are talking about a classic show and not some more recent series?!

Regarding the release being 'one huge box set', I think this is how they should release things in the future- complete series sets instead of season by season which take forever to complete or as we have seen with many series, never completed at all.

Edited by TVonDVDJunkie05, July 03 2013 - 07:42 PM.

• Ron1973 likes this

#76 of 295 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 05:22 PM

I would love to see Shout resurrect the LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE series.  Paramount only released the first season of it.

The discontinuation of that series was an elements issue. When CBS went to the 2nd season 35's, they had been sliced and diced and chopped up for syndication, making an intact release extremely problematic if not impossible.

#77 of 295 Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,005 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 05:41 PM

If Shout is giving us one big set from Sony then I hope it's Fantasy Island and not Jeffersons.   To be honest that was one show that overstayed its welcome by several years.    I think the one episode not released that I still remember fondly was their spoof of the Who Shot J.R. Dallas episode.   With FI, I'd gladly double-dip on the first three years just to get the whole thing finished and then I can go back to wondering if Love Boat will ever get unstalled by CBS/Paramount.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of why LAS is one of two CBS/Paramount releases stalled with just one season (Barnaby Jones being the other;  Sergeant Bilko doesn't count since it had the Best of release earlier).

#78 of 295 Cowboy

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 06:08 PM

I would like a complete Mccloud with the correct first season episodes and complete Baretta.

#79 of 295 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 05:03 AM

There's only 2 seasons of Quincy left so it ought to get wrapped up by the end of the year - kinda like how they did Kojak.

Maybe they're working on putting out the Complete Super Train, Cop Rock and Manimal for Christmas?

Just curious if Shout plans on completely abandoning classic TV releases after this month? Other than the releases of Dobie and Quincy this month, there appears to be nothing on their release schedule. They have stalled or abandoned EVERY other series they had in progress, so I wondering if they are done releasing classic series. It seems all they want to put out these days is 90's Nick kid shows. Not exactly classic TV, huh?

PS - 5 will get you 10 Quincy will end up stalled eventually.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#80 of 295 phenri

phenri

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 08:02 AM

If Shout is giving us one big set from Sony then I hope it's Fantasy Island and not Jeffersons.   To be honest that was one show that overstayed its welcome by several years.    I think the one episode not released that I still remember fondly was their spoof of the Who Shot J.R. Dallas episode.   With FI, I'd gladly double-dip on the first three years just to get the whole thing finished and then I can go back to wondering if Love Boat will ever get unstalled by CBS/Paramount.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of why LAS is one of two CBS/Paramount releases stalled with just one season (Barnaby Jones being the other;  Sergeant Bilko doesn't count since it had the Best of release earlier).

I completely agree! A Fantasy Island complete set would be a preorder purchase for me. I won't purchase a complete Jeffersons, since I'm not a fan of the Norman Lear family of sitcoms.

I'm also thankful that I finally know the reason why LAS has not been continued. Now I will quit hoping for another release and focus on my next hope: Barnaby Jones. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shout Factory

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

MatthewA, phenri