-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Raro Video (DVD distributor) discussion thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 10:28 AM

Whilst checking DVD Aficionado for upcoming DVD releases a few weeks ago, I spotted an interesting, sounding thriller directed by Lamberto Bava called Body Puzzle (1992). It's being released on Tuesday 22nd November. In the publisher column it states Raro Video and E1 Distribution. Has anyone here seen this movie?

Checking Lamberto Bava's IMDb filmography, another of the films he has directed which sounds good is Midnight Killer (1986). On the film's IMDb company credits page it dosen't mention a DVD (or VHS) release.

#2 of 16 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,123 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 12:14 PM

I've seen BODY PUZZLE and I remember it being pretty decent, if derivative. Raro does a good job with its discs (and has reissued the faulty SECRET OF DORIAN GRAY).

#3 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted September 01 2011 - 10:58 AM

Body Puzzle is now available for DVD pre-order on Amazon.com.

#4 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 10:22 AM

Final front cover artwork for the Raro US release of Body Puzzle (1992):

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Can't seen to find any possible DVD extras information about this title.

#5 of 16 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 26 2011 - 12:35 AM

I've never seen this film. I'm going to make a blind purchase of it on the strength of the label's fine previous work and just hope the film isn't a turd.

#6 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted October 27 2011 - 10:02 AM

Going to be a blind buy for me as well (never seen it in the TV schedules), even though I don't know what extras there will be (if any).

#7 of 16 Eric_M

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 01:55 PM

This is a 1992 Bava film so you've been warned. I honestly can't remember if I saw this one or not so how knows but keep in mind some of these once great directors were running on empty by the 90's so you are really chancing it with this one. I guess just don't go in expecting Macabre, Demons, Blade in the Dark or anything like that.

#8 of 16 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 02 2011 - 02:55 AM

This is a 1992 Bava film so you've been warned. I honestly can't remember if I saw this one or not so how knows but keep in mind some of these once great directors were running on empty by the 90's so you are really chancing it with this one. I guess just don't go in expecting Macabre, Demons, Blade in the Dark or anything like that.

The company releasing Body Puzzle, Raro Video, hasn't disappointed yet... I'm confident that they're not going to waste time and money releasing a total crapfest on purpose.

#9 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 10:29 AM

Have confidence in this release. Even though it will be a blind buy, it's one of the kinds of films I like. Is there a website for Raro Video USA? This question is in relation to whether there will be any extras.

#10 of 16 Eric_M

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 01:40 PM

The company releasing Body Puzzle, Raro Video, hasn't disappointed yet... I'm confident that they're not going to waste time and money releasing a total crapfest on purpose.

The only release I have of theirs is The Perfume of the Lady in Black which I have not seen yet. They seem to have a few titles I'd be interested in though. "Crapfest" is pretty subjective. Plenty of companies that have released tons of great titles have also put titles not worthy of being coasters. It's all a matter of opinion, obviously.

Have confidence in this release. Even though it will be a blind buy, it's one of the kinds of films I like. Is there a website for Raro Video USA? This question is in relation to whether there will be any extras.

I really wish I remembered if I ever saw this one. So many movies it's hard to keep track. I would like to see this at some point but I wouldn't be expecting much out of it just like any film from a director that is way past their prime. As far as extras I hear there is only an interview. http://www.rarovideo.../StartPopup.htm http://www.diabolikd...-(Lamberto-Bava)-(Raro-USA)-(NTSC-All-Region).html

#11 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 03 2011 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Eric. Wasn't expecting a load of extras, maybe just one or two extras. Does a theatrical/video trailer for Body Puzzle exist? Now I know a lot of trailers show the best bits of a film, but it's nice to know they're there on the DVD (and Blu-ray) releases. These days the trailer is still included but not stated on the rear boxart, or it's not included at all.

#12 of 16 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 04 2011 - 12:03 AM

Bava has a new film out called GHOST SON. It's getting mixed reviews and people are classifying it as a chick flick/suspense thriller - not a horror film. It's a rental, at best. And I agree that these once-great directors (in Bava Jr's case, he's only made a couple of good ones) haven't areally aged well when it comes to their later films. John Carpenter is a good example - his most recent film, THE WARD, is just another throwaway girlie ghost drama featuring the usual bad CGI and cheap jump scares. It's very sad. But, these guys do have bills to pay just like the rest of us so they agree to churn out a movie-of-the-week every now and then for studios seeking product.

#13 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 10:19 AM

Whilst checking some horror film reviews on Hysteria Lives! (a website about the slasher horror genre) in the last couple of days, one of the new titles which I hadn't read about before was A Blade in the Dark (1983), mentioned above in post #7. Was wondering if it was available on DVD. Released on DVD in the US by Anchor Bay and Blue Underground.

#14 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 09:18 AM

The DVD release of Raro Video USA title Body Puzzle has been pushed back to Tuesday 6th December (source: Amazon.com).

#15 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 11:10 AM

Three reviews of Raro Video USA's release of Body Puzzle:

Body Puzzle - DVD Beaver review

Body Puzzle - DVD Drive-In review

Body Puzzle - Mondo Digital review

#16 of 16 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 08:07 AM

Have asked for this thread's title to be changed to 'Raro Video (DVD distributor) discussion thread', so that other Raro Video titles, both the Italian and USA releases can be discussed in this thread.

This past Tuesday (May 22nd), the 1976 film Plot of Fear was released by Raro Video USA, starring future Bond girl Corinne Clery. Some reviews of this title below:

Plot of Fear (1976) - DVD Beaver review

Plot of Fear (1976) - DVD Drive-In review

Plot of Fear (1976) - DVD Talk review

Plot of Fear (1976) - Mondo Digital review