-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: Dressed To Kill (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,322 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 08:08 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

A BEAUTIFUL STRANGER HAS A NAUGHTY SECRET…

Brian De Palma’s Sexy Crime Thriller
DRESSED TO KILL
Makes Its Blu-ray Debut on September 6

LOS ANGELES (August 16, 2011) – Relive every suspenseful, erotically-charged fantasy captured in the timeless MGM classic DRESSED TO KILL, making its Blu-ray debut September 6 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.  Written and directed by critically-acclaimed filmmaker Brian De Palma (Scarface, The Untouchables), DRESSED TO KILL is a dark, psychological crime thriller with twists and turns around every corner.

Kate Miller (Angie Dickinson, “Police Woman”) is a sexually-repressed housewife who seeks treatment from Dr. Robert Elliott (two-time Academy Award®-winner Michael Caine, Hannah and Her Sisters, The Cider House Rules).  While secretly leaving a hotel after a one-night affair, Kate is mysteriously murdered by a tall blonde woman wearing sunglasses.  The only witness is a high-priced call girl, Liz (Nancy Allen in a Golden Globe®-nominated performance), who becomes the killer’s next target.  With the help of Kate’s grown son, Peter (Keith Gordon, A Midnight Clear), Liz discovers that the murderer is connected to Dr. Elliott, and the pair come face-to-face with a shocking surprise.

DRESSED TO KILL will be available on single-disc Blu-ray and includes four behind-the-scenes featurettes and a photo gallery.  The ARP for Blu-ray is $16.99.

DRESSED TO KILL Special Features

• Unrated Cut Blu-ray
  •  

•       “The Making of a Thriller” Full-Length Documentary including interviews with Brian De Palma, Angie Dickinson, Nancy Allen and Dennis Franz

•       “Slashing Dressed to Kill” Featurette

•       “Dressed to Kill: An Appreciation by Keith Gordon” Featurette

•       “Comparison of the Unrated, R-rated, and Network Versions” Featurette

•       Animated Photo Gallery

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

DRESSED TO KILL DVD: (Catalog #M124694)

Street Date:                 September 6, 2011

Screen Format:            Widescreen 2.35:1

Audio:                         English: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio / French: Mono                                   

Subtitles:                     Dubbed: English & French / Subtitled: English, French & Spanish

U.S. Rating:                 Unrated

Total Run Time:         105 minutes

Closed Captioned:      Yes

--

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 26 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,850 posts
    • LocationNew York City

Posted August 17 2011 - 08:33 AM

Glad this is making the jump to hi-def, even if DePalma's 70's fiilms look like they were shot with vaseline on the camera lens. I don't know why anyone would choose to shoot a film like that but, hey, whatever. Great artwork. I see they got rid of the "From the Maker of Scarface" sticker from the cover. Movies should be judged on their own, not compared to a director's other work. Dressed To Kill was made BEFORE Scarface, anyway.

#3 of 26 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,633 posts
    • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 17 2011 - 09:51 AM

Good to see this coming.  It was one hell of a flick when it came out and still is.  Had to go and shoo out the theatre ushers from that screen when the movie started.  Nothing was getting cleaned up nor tickets torn.  That is one good compliment to Angie Dickinson.

I liked the way DePalma filmed it as in soft focus for it helped the film's eerie atmosphere, but interested in how this is going to look on Blu-ray.  I laughed at the above Vaseline on the lens reference, for the first time I saw DRESSED TO KILL, I told the projectionist to clean the lens and projection window not realizing it was DePalma focus.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 26 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 10:37 AM

Are MGM's Blu-ray discs region locked?

Excellent film Dressed to Kill (1980). Sir Michael Caine's films around the late 70's through to the early 80's have had a bit of criticism in recent years, but he made some pretty good films and Dressed to Kill is one of them. Also like the way the film was shot, and if you recommend this film to a friend don't say anything about the twist. Not knowing what happens only helps to enhance the enjoyment of this thriller. Atmospheric, frightening and dramatic it's one of the best films I've seen.

#5 of 26 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,693 posts
    • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 17 2011 - 12:09 PM

Dressed To Kill is my second favorite DePalma movie. It's nice to see others appreciate it too.

#6 of 26 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 02:06 PM

No original mono option? Drat. :(

#7 of 26 DeanR

DeanR

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 02:42 PM

As lovely as Angie Dickenson was in this movie a body double was used for the nude scenes, although if memory serves me Dickenson initially denied it. Great movie, will buy it the day it is released!

#8 of 26 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 03:28 PM

As lovely as Angie Dickenson was in this movie a body double was used for the nude scenes, although if memory serves me Dickenson initially denied it.

De Palma even used the idea for his later film Body Double.

#9 of 26 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,633 posts
    • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 17 2011 - 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by DeanR 

As lovely as Angie Dickenson was in this movie a body double was used for the nude scenes, although if memory serves me Dickenson initially denied it. Great movie, will buy it the day it is released!

I think everyone denied at the time.  Who wouldn't?

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 26 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts
    • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted August 18 2011 - 04:28 AM

This is a favorite of mine since I first discovered it on The Movie Channel when I was a kid.  In fact I had just watched it from I think Retro HD and it looked pretty good, but I wasn't sure if it had an HD master or was an upconvert. Then I was browsing thru the upcoming releases at Amazon a couple of weeks ago and to my surprise I saw it available for pre-order, so I jumped on it right away.  It was one of those that I just had for whatever reason just not gotten on DVD, so I was glad to finally get it and in HD no less.  Very fun fall for me, as there are so many movies coming to Blu-ray that I'm really looking to, and many that I wouldn't have guessed would be coming out at all.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#11 of 26 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 05:52 AM

Doesn't the DVD contain both unrated and R-rated cuts accessible via seamless branching? It would be nice if the Blu-ray had that option, too. Vincent

#12 of 26 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 11:19 AM

The opposite will probably happen, knowing how many remakes get made these days, but I hope Dressed to Kill doesn't get remade. When it had this atmosphere of dread and suspense and an involving story, you just can't see it being re-created for a remake. But I'd like to be proven wrong.

Nancy Travis played a good part in this film (Dennis Franz made a memorable appearance as well).

#13 of 26 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,633 posts
    • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 18 2011 - 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by WaveCrest 

The opposite will probably happen, knowing how many remakes get made these days, but I hope Dressed to Kill doesn't get remade. When it had this atmosphere of dread and suspense and an involving story, you just can't see it being re-created for a remake. But I'd like to be proven wrong.

Nancy Travis played a good part in this film (Dennis Franz made a memorable appearance as well).

If it is remade then there will be CGI shot and not a body double in the opening shower scene.  Posted Image

#14 of 26 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 19 2011 - 10:15 AM

Dressed to Kill was like a film of two halves,

starting off with Angie Dickinson, then with Nancy Allen's character becoming one of the film's focuses later on.

#15 of 26 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,693 posts
    • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 19 2011 - 10:25 AM

^ I'm Travis, she's Nancy Allen. :)

#16 of 26 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 19 2011 - 10:30 AM

I keep getting her surname mixed up with another actress. lol Thanks for correcting me. Posted Image

#17 of 26 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,175 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 19 2011 - 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by WaveCrest 

Dressed to Kill was like a film of two halves,

starting off with Angie Dickinson, then with Nancy Allen's character becoming one of the film's focuses later on.

Which of course is patterened on

Psycho, where the focus switches from Janet Leigh to Vera Miles.

#18 of 26 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,077 posts

Posted August 21 2011 - 05:02 AM

In my first post I mentioned the twist in Dressed to Kill.

Now if my memory is correct you could say there are two twists, the first one involving Angie Dickinson's character and the piece of paper she finds in the drawer.

Has a soundtrack of Dressed to Kill been released on CD?

#19 of 26 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted August 21 2011 - 06:53 AM

Has a soundtrack of Dressed to Kill been released on CD?

It was released by Varee Sarabande, although the CD might be out of print at the moment. Wonderful Pino Donaggio score. :)

#20 of 26 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,998 posts

Posted August 22 2011 - 01:34 AM

It figures. I've recently watched my DVD of this twice in the past few months, once with my girlfriend and another time with my nephew. I'm kinda "Dressed-to-Killed Out", and now I gotta get the Blu-ray!