-

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations please: Integra 30.3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   ericc22

ericc22

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 03:35 AM

Greetings, I have a small home office and a Samsung plasma. I want to add 5.1 sound. I'll use this for movies, and probably more often, for listening to music via CD or itunes. My local store has recommended the Integra 30.3. I can't find a lot of info on it and was curious for feedback from others. My office is small so I don't need a lot of power. I do want the ability to connect the receiver to the internet to play Pandora eg. I also want something that is easy to setup. One thing I like about the integra is that I can easily recalibrate it based upon where in my office I am sitting. I like its feature and interface better then the Pioneer Elite's I've looked at. Anyone have any recommendations on this receiver? I believe it is a different forum but I also welcome feedback on speakers. I am aiming for the Monitor RX1 Silver for the fronts and center and a sunfire sub though perhaps the sunfire is overkill for a small room? I also heard the Definitive's at Best Buy and B&Ws and prefer the Monitor's though it is a bit hard to compare as they are at different locations. All suggestions are most welcome!! Eric

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,713 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 16 2011 - 11:10 AM

The 30.3 is pretty similar to the Onkyo 609, with probably some things added for the custom installer. You should also look at the Onkyo 709. It's probably near the same price, or even a little cheaper, and should have all you are looking for as well as a better version of Audyssey. Also the Denon 2112 and Marantz 5006. It might not have all the features of the Onkyo or Denon but it will have the core performance of any of them. You can also move up a notch or save some money by buying last years models off the net (from an authorized dealer). Integra however isn't available on-line. The Onkyo HT-RC360 looks like it has what you asked for (but please double-check :) ) and is only $399 shipped from Crutchfield.com http://www.crutchfie...60.html?tp=179. In any event, down-load the manuals before you buy and give them a good looking over.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted August 16 2011 - 11:31 AM

accessorites4less.com is also authorized for Onkyo online and has new items and factory refreshed ones too (and you can get an extended warranty). I like Integra. I bought a used Integra DTC 9.8 as a pre/pro at a great deal (I have a separate preamp with HT bypass) and was so impressed with it for HT, I bought a refreshed Onkyo 1000 for the secondary basement system from accessories4less.com (along with extended warranty) and am very happy with it.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   brwnsfan

brwnsfan

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 12:41 AM

Got a question for the pros here, buying something in a matter of days. After 5-6 years of living with a Denon 2805 that has now died, I'm ready to go back to my Adcom GFA6000 amp. It's driving a pair of B&W 805 Matrix in a 5-speaker+sub setup. I can buy a demo Integra 30.3 for $550 from a local dealer or a refurb Onkyo 709 for $419 from accessories4less.I plan to use it as a pre-pro and tuner, possibly move it in years to come to the basement system and use the amps also there. Is the Onkyo more internet radio capable ? I read the Ethernet on the integra is for updates only. Is this something I need to consider? The Onkyo states it has internet connectivity. How is this accomplished, are they the same in this regard? The Onkyo unit also has Audyssey MultiEQ whereas the Integra has a lesser version. Is this really a big deal? Two more HDMI inputs on the Onkyo, I don't see this being a decision maker. I will buy with an AMEX and get a second year of warranty free on the Onkyo so the warranty difference of 1 year on the Onkyo to 3 for the Integra is narrowed. Here's my chief concern: Is the sound quality of the pre-pro section the same or does the Integra offer higher fidelity & better sound? Thanks!

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,713 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 10 2012 - 01:50 AM

They are both 2012 models and should have similar internet capabilities. They both list internet steaming and internet radio in the "Features" section on the websites under "Connections". As was said earlier in this thread, the 30.3 is based on the Onkyo 609. Biggest difference is 2EQ vs MultEQ XT. MultEQ XT uses 8 mic positions, has a 7 band EQ and EQ's the subwoofer (5 bands). 2EQ uses 1 mic position, 5 bands and no sub EQ. I'd take the 709 over the 30.3 for that reason alone. The 40.3 is comparable to the 709. For $50 ac4l has a 5 year warranty from Warrantech. 709 http://www.us.onkyo....ss=Receiver&p=i Manual http://filedepot.onk...776246573447471 30.3 http://www.integraho...ss=Receiver&p=i Manual http://filedepot.onk...776246573447471
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   brwnsfan

brwnsfan

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 03:05 AM

Thanks, I'm buying the 709 today. My questions about internet streaming stem from a visit I had with an Integra dealer. He mentioned the Ethernet input on the Integra was only good for updates. I have never owned a component that connects to the Internet so this confused me a little. Here come some stupid questions: If they don't connect through the Ethernet port, then how do they connect? Wi-FI? I was told there is a Wi-Fi adapter for the 30.3. Also for the 709? Do I need this for online services or just for playing things already on my desktop? If these units are Internet streaming capable, then I do not need an add-on box to receive Pandora, etc? For Netflix and streaming video, I will still need an Apple TV, Roku, etc? It's obvious I have been at a standstill for awhile and need to catch up. Finally paid off the daughters college, time for new gear and a trip to Europe this fall. Thanks in advance.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   brwnsfan

brwnsfan

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, I'm buying the 709 today. My questions about internet streaming stem from a visit I had with an Integra dealer. He mentioned the Ethernet input on the Integra was only good for updates. I have never owned a component that connects to the Internet so this confused me a little. Here come some stupid questions: If they don't connect through the Ethernet port, then how do they connect? Wi-FI? I was told there is a Wi-Fi adapter for the 30.3. Also for the 709? Do I need this for online services or just for playing things already on my desktop? If these units are Internet streaming capable, then I do not need an add-on box to receive Pandora, etc? For Netflix and streaming video, I will still need an Apple TV, Roku, etc? It's obvious I have been at a standstill for awhile and need to catch up. Finally paid off the daughters college, time for new gear and a trip to Europe this fall. Thanks in advance.

Correction. After talking to an Accessories4Less rep, I was informed that they have had more Onkyos returned in the past 2-3 years than any other brand. Maybe a Denon AVR 3311 or 3312?

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,713 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 11 2012 - 05:05 PM

That doesn't surprise me. I've also heard that their CS isn't the greatest either. But they have like 35% of the receiver market so you're going to get more returns and problems reported with them than any other brand. Denon would be a better choice, or Marantz. I think the 2312 (and Marantz 6006) is the direct competetor of the 709. The 3312 is a step up but the 3311 is a year older so might not have the internet streaming, etc. you're looking for. BTW, I'm not really up on the latest internet streaming and Apple Apps, etc. I'm a core audio guy. Newegg.com was selling the Pioneer 1121 new for $399 shipped a couple of months ago so real good deals can be found sometimes. But they sold out pretty quickly of course. I just bought a refurbished Marantz SR5005 (and 7006 BR player, 4003 CD player) from ac4l and it looks and performs like new. The 3 or 5 year extended warrant might be a good idea though. Wish I had sprung for it.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   pandaname

pandaname

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 12:01 PM

so good ! Posted Image

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   pandaname

pandaname

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 12:03 PM

good !Posted Image