Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The official Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-ray discussion thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1989 replies to this topic

#1 of 1990 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,888 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 15 2011 - 06:13 AM

We will have the opportunity later this week to talk with Dennis Muren the Creative Director of ILM about the VFX of the Star Wars films, Matthew Wood of Skywalker Sound about the audio mix for the Blu-rays and Kayleen Walters from Lucasfilm Ltd about the Blu-rays.

What do YOU want to know?

UPDATE:  Read the first series of posts about the sneak peak of the Star Wars Blu-Ray release!

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#2 of 1990 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 06:23 AM

Why won't they just release on Blu-ray (or heck, even anamorphic widescreen DVD!) the original versions of the films--you know, the ones that made all that money, won all those awards, garnered all that critical praise, and with which many of us grew up and came to love?

#3 of 1990 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 06:30 AM

Were the glitches regarding lightsaber colors, color timing, and sound fixed for this release compared to the previous two releases? If no, why not?

#4 of 1990 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 15 2011 - 06:32 AM

Carl wrote it, not me!!!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 1990 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 06:47 AM

I'm going to assume that most replies would probably be repeats of the same general idea, simply because as consumers / fans of "Star Wars" for the most part we don't have a lot of questions about them, just a few simple questions, already noted by Bryan and Carl, that for reasons seemingly beyond all reason / comprehension are always refused a straight-forward answer that isn't an insult to the intelligence of everyone who asks! (Talk about a run-on sentence) Sure there will be more questions about other content but the questions about the technical presentations have always been few, simple and yet so hard to answer. At least answers beyond the usual nonsense of "Lucas' creative vision" as a blanket statement.

#6 of 1990 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 909 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 06:50 AM

Why won't they just release on Blu-ray (or heck, even anamorphic widescreen DVD!) the original versions of the films--you know, the ones that made all that money, won all those awards, garnered all that critical praise, and with which many of us grew up and came to love?

Totally agree. I've seen reports of "40 hours" of extras and such; I don't care about any of them. Blu-rays of the original films as released? THAT I'd care about. That, of course, is what we won't get.

#7 of 1990 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:09 AM

+1 on the OOT release question. It is the one that made all the money, established the legacy, and was worked on by hundreds of hardworking artists (not just George) whose work deserves to be seen in the highest definition format available. Another question would be: have you restored Greedo shooting first in Star Wars and "Bring My Shuttle" in Empire? Those are the two biggest and most controversial changes in the Special Editions, the reversal of which would quiet a lot of the furor over the changes.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#8 of 1990 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:20 AM

BTW thanks for sharing this opportunity with us, Adam. When can we expect to hear about responses to our questions? Thanks.

#9 of 1990 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:35 AM

Thank you, Adam! --Will the Yoda puppet in TPM be replaced by digital Yoda? --As has been mentioned....saber colors in OT fixed? And orignal cut of Han/Greedo shootout? --Will there be any new CGI work that we'll notice in any of the films? --Any audio work done to the OT, like dialog enhancements or re-leveling?
"He is not Herbert. We reach!"

#10 of 1990 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:50 AM

I would like to know if these are new 4K scans or are using older 2005 masters.

I'd also like to know if the sound mix on The Phantom Menace has been changed, it was excellent and a very aggressive mix on DVD and apparently more so on Laserdisc, i want to know its been retained and they haven't changed it to make it sound less agressive.

I'd like to know if the surround channels being reversed error on one of the films has been fixed.

Have they fixed the sound mix issue where the glorious score was drowned out with effects sound during the death star attack sequence in the original Star Wars.

Have Lucasfilm applied heavy grain reduction to the original trilogy in order to make them look more like the digitally shot prequels, same question goes for The Phantom menace which was shot on 35mm film.

Can you ask why they cannot provide the original theatrical sound mix for the original trilogy as well as the super duper re-mixes and can you ask if they have added any new sound effects to each mix.

A good question would be regarding 4K scans, just how does that work with Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith since both were shot 2K digital.

My gut instinct tells me that Lucasfilm may be trying to make the original trilogy look as grain free as possible and i would personally not like this as i want them looking like films of their time and not shiny and all new.

Perhaps ask why Greedo still shoots first as it significantly alters the character arc of Han Solo, i mean if he's good to begin with his redemption and change of heart and his finding of a cause worth dying for at the end of the film is diluted quite a bit.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 of 1990 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, Adam, for letting us know. It is nice that they want to take questions, and I don't want to be impolite, but I agree with the general consensus. My biggest question is why won't Lucasfilm spend a fraction of what these (in the opinion of many, unnecessary) 3D conversions are going to cost on restoring the actual original trilogy for Blu-ray? Other than that; I guess I just want to know what the source of the picture is (is it actually the 2004 masters?), and what's been done about the audio. Have the flipped surrounds on A New Hope been fixed, and has the balance between sound effects and score on IV-VI been re-adjusted? Extra features are nice, and I'm sure they spent a lot of time and effort putting them together, but the presentation of the films is really the main thing I care about.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#12 of 1990 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,888 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan Ri 

BTW thanks for sharing this opportunity with us, Adam.

When can we expect to hear about responses to our questions?

Thanks.

I can't guarantee I'll have an answer for every question, but I will do my best.  I *hope* to have everything up by late Saturday.

#13 of 1990 OFFLINE   AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:30 AM

Yeah, the original versions. I'm sure they're tired of hearing about it, but that topic isn't going away in any of our lifetimes.

#14 of 1990 OFFLINE   johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:44 AM

1) I'd like to know which versions of the original trilogy they honestly like best, and why... 2) With this new Blu-ray set, does Mr Lucas now finally consider the films finished to his satisfaction at last (the Blu-ray set represents the 4th revision of the original films now I believe)? Are you happy with them also? 3) Who shot first? (sorry couldn't resist!) Thanks :D - John

#15 of 1990 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:44 AM

For Mr Muren: I read in 'ILM: Into The Digital Realm' that some of the changes to the Death Star assault in Star Wars came from yourself and not Mr Lucas. Did you feel as cut up as Mr Lucas did regarding the way those original shots turned out? Or was that sequence something he was actually happy with and it was more at your instigation that stuff was changed? For Mr Wood: why remix Star Wars yet again (which we heard about from you on a podcast some time ago)? The 2004 DVD mix certainly had some glaring technical issues, but surely they simply needed correcting rather than doing another new mix? For Ms Walters: Re: the original trilogy, are the Blu-rays derived from new transfers or the 2004 masters? And where are the existing special features from the DVDs, including the excellent documentaries 'The Beginning' (Episode I) and 'Empire Of Dreams' (OT)? Cheers Adam.

#16 of 1990 OFFLINE   Joe_G

Joe_G

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:45 AM

- If new, pristine masters were created for the blu-ray's, or if they just used the existing masters from the dvd's. Color timing issues been resolved? - Have ALLof the lightsaber issues in the OT been corrected, or just in a select few shots? - If all of the audio issues in the OT have been fixed, and if new mixes have been created, to what extent and who was involved? Rydstrom (side project away from Pixar)? Randy Thom? Were they done to be as dynamic and balanced as Rydstrom's work on TPM and AOTC? Episodes 3-6 just aren't anywhere near the quality of TPM and AOTC, imho. Hopefully they didn't mess with Rydstrom's mixes and brought down Episodes 1 and 2 to the level, quality-wise, as 3-6. - Has the choppy editing/cues to the music in AOTC been addressed? - Have any changes to the OT, from 1997 -2004, been undone and restored back to the original versions? - If the extended scenes to the PT and additions/changes to the OT, from 1997-2004, still exist, has the sfx shots been cleaned up/redone, so they the quality of the rest of the films? The Yazzum, Sarlaac pit and extended Pod Race sequence in particular. Has any other shots from the OT had comp work/ been re-composited, ala the Rancor scene in Jedi? Will the cgi Yoda replacement on TPM be on the blu-ray? - Reason why none of the extras from the DVD's, other than the commentaries, weren't carried over to the blu's. Why not at least include the documentaries from Episodes 1-4, and "Empire of Dreams"? -If there are additional changes to the films, have they been made and will they be present on the blu-ray release, or will they be tackled when each film goes through the 3-D conversion?

#17 of 1990 OFFLINE   Kenny Kraly Jr

Kenny Kraly Jr

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:53 AM

Question for Mr. Wood: How good are the sound mixes for the original trilogy and the prequels for the blu-ray relase? Did Episode 4 A New Hope get a new sound mix or is it from 2004?

#18 of 1990 OFFLINE   Kenny Kraly Jr

Kenny Kraly Jr

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:57 AM

Question for Mr. Wood : how good are the new DTS HD Master Audio mixes for all 6 star wars films on blu-ray? And is the mix of Episode 4 A New Hope from 2004 or is it a new audio mix for the blu-ray release?

#19 of 1990 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 09:00 AM

Question for Mr. Wood : how good are the new DTS HD Master Audio mixes for all 6 star wars films on blu-ray? And is the mix of Episode 4 A New Hope from 2004 or is it a new audio mix for the blu-ray release? Thanks : Kenny

#20 of 1990 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,888 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder 

A good question would be regarding 4K scans, just how does that work with Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith since both were shot 2K digital.

I may be misunderstanding your question, but it shouldn't matter as they don't need to be scanned since they are already digital.