Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Meet Me In St. Louis (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 02:16 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Judy Garland Classic

Nominated for Four Academy Awards® [1]

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

Premium Blu-ray™ Book Debut on December 13

With a Bonus CD Soundtrack Sampler

Burbank, CA., August 15, 2011 – Meet Me in St. Louis, the Hollywood musical classic starring the incomparable Judy Garland (Wizard of Oz, A Star is Born), will become available on Blu-ray™ disc for the first time on December 13 from Warner Home Video (WHV).

The fan-favoritenominated for four Oscars® and headlined by one of the most talented and beloved stars of the 20th century, stars two other Hollywood’s legendary leading ladies as well -- Margaret O’Brien (Jane Eyre-1943, Little Women) and Mary Astor (Maltese Falcon, The Great Lie). Meet Me in St. Louis was one of the two highest grossing MGM releases in 20 years.

Meet Me in St. Louis will be offered in WHV’s premium Blu-ray™ book packaging ($35.99 SRP) including more than 40 pages of photos, trivia and more. Pre-order date is November 8. This disc contains a wide variety of bonus features (see below).

About Meet Me in St. Louis

In a role considered one of her favorites, a 22-year-old Judy Garland stars in this warm turn-of-the-century delight presented for the first time on Blu-ray™. Set in 1903, the captivating musical is a slice of Americana, dealing with the Smith family’s experiences during the year of the St. Louis World’s Fair. Directed by Vincente Minnelli (father of Liza),Judy Garland has never been more winning as she pines for “The Boy Next Door,” tells a seven-year-old Margaret O’Brien (awarded a special Oscar® as 1944’s outstanding child actress) to “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and sings about the clang-clang-clang in “The Trolley Song.”

Meet Me in St. Louis’ extra content features include:

• Introduction by Liza Minnelli
  • Commentary by Garland biographer John Fricke with Margaret O’Brien, screenwriter Irving Brecher, songwriter Hugh Martin and daughter of producer Arthur Freed, Barbara Freed-Saltzman
  • Meet Me in St. Louis: The Making of an American Classic (Narrated by Roddy McDowall)
  • Hollywood: The Dream Factory (Emmy-Award winning 1972 MGM-TV special, narrated by Dick Cavett-- First time on home video)
  • Becoming Attractions: Judy Garland (1996 TCM special)
  • Meet Me in St. Louis (1966 TV pilot with Shelley Fabares and Celeste Holm)
  • Bubbles (1930 Warner Bros. short featuring Judy Garland at age 7)
  • Skip To My Lou (Rare 1941 musical short with Meet Me in St. Louis composers Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane)
  • Audio Vault
    • Boys and Girls Like You and Me outtake (reconstruction using still photographs)
    • Lux Radio Theater Broadcast from December 2, 1946

Run Time: 113 minutes

Rating: NR

Price: $35.99SRP

Catalog #: 1000202875

** (Special Features subject to change)

About Warner Home Video

Warner Home Video Blu-ray™ Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

[1] Academy Award(s)®, Oscar(s)® , Academy- Award-winning® and Oscar-winning® are the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

-

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 03:21 AM

Really looking forward to this. I was hoping we'd also get "Raintree County" before Christmas, but that's looking less likely.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 15 2011 - 04:10 AM

To get this and Scrooge in 2011 makes this Christmas season one to really look forward to!

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 04:28 AM

I'll pre-order this whenever it's availabe, no matter the price (most everything I buy are Hollywood classics, and they're so scantily released I don't even bother the price that much anymore). Besides, it's a digibook with a sampler cd so I guess I'll feel like it's worth it. This is great news.!

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:56 AM

Great movie but please Warner pleaseeeeeeeeee up your bitrates and stop degraining your releases to the point where they become watchable and "just good enough"

In fact the reason for degraining is to enable you to keep bitrates low, stop it, stop it, stop it, a million times over stop it, its 2011, HD DVD is dead, up the bitrate and preserve all the film grain.

It could be worse, this might have been a Universal release with all that implies, hopefully being a film classic it will be treated better than most Warner releases.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,308 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 15 2011 - 10:35 AM

Warner Bros.: The studio that killed Matthew's bank account. Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 07:16 AM

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 07:49 AM

Glad this is coming but man I sure do hate clearing shelf space for these by getting rid of the DVDs. Those warner DVDs sets sure were classy, with great poster art. Wish they could have used that here.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 07:54 AM

I am really happy Warners is releasing more classic films, and since I have purchased this particular title on VHS, laser disc and DVD, I really hope the picture quality is stunning beyond belief.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 08:20 AM

Woah, outside of the feature itself and perhaps the digibook format, this looks like real downgrade in terms of extras. Edit: Nevermind, didn't read the first post. Not sure why they're not included in the ad, though. It does say they're subject to change....could this be confirmation the special features in the press release won't be included?

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 03:17 AM

Classicflix included the release on their website, which also reports that some of the extras are missing on the Blu-ray release.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,308 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 17 2011 - 05:58 AM

Why such a huge discrepancy in the press releases? Note how the press release and the print ad both say "include."

And the cover art is awful. Are all catalog titles now required by law to have ugly and generic covers?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

And the cover art is awful. Are all catalog titles now required by law to have ugly and generic covers?

Yes.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,587 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 17 2011 - 08:27 AM

Am I thrilled with the cover art? No. But, as the next classic MGM musical I was expecting to get was Singin' in the Rain next year, this comes as such a wonderful surprise that I'm not going to bother protesting.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 17 2011 - 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Why such a huge discrepancy in the press releases? Note how the press release and the print ad both say "include."

I agree that the cover art is the worse the Warner's has come up with, but will not deter me from acquiring it.  Hope the product sheet was produced before the extras were set and the announcement is correct.  It would be sad if not all of the extras from the DVD were not included, for that might deter me.  It seems they should have produced a two Blu-ray disc set, one for the movie and the other for the extras as they did for A STAR IS BORN.
As an Edit - I never have liked any of the one-sheets for the movie either.  The were either just large heads or looked like a messy still collage.  The best cover I ever saw was the DVD special edition cover.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2011 - 12:34 PM

Any picture of Judy makes my day....so, I love the cover art!!!! And Tom Drake isn't bad to look at either...they make for a handsome couple.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Felipe Noronha

Felipe Noronha

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 03:18 PM

The cover is terrible. Here's hoping they'll keep all the special features on the blu-ray.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,308 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 17 2011 - 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

Am I thrilled with the cover art? No. But, as the next classic MGM musical I was expecting to get was Singin' in the Rain next year, this comes as such a wonderful surprise that I'm not going to bother protesting.

Overall I'm more concerned with what's in the disc than the box it comes in. But a package that didn't scream "Photoshop tutorial" would be nice. Though I doubt that's the reason, I wouldn't be surprised if these titles aren't selling because the boxes are so undistinguished that people just pass them by when browsing through the Blu-Ray section.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 02:03 PM

Overall I'm more concerned with what's in the disc than the box it comes in. But a package that didn't scream "Photoshop tutorial" would be nice. Though I doubt that's the reason, I wouldn't be surprised if these titles aren't selling because the boxes are so undistinguished that people just pass them by when browsing through the Blu-Ray section.

The font they used for the logo looks weird. Does it have any significance? Was that logo used on any 1940s poster art or newspaper ads? It looks like something from the 60s, not the 40s.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted August 20 2011 - 10:56 PM

Now available for preorder.  Please support HTF.

Ronald J Epstein