Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 12 2011 - 12:14 PM

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted August 12 2011 - 01:28 PM

Very sad indeed. For one of the best comedies we've seen in the last 3 decades they sure did not give it the respect it deserves.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 19 ONLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,354 posts

Posted August 12 2011 - 02:36 PM

Transfer issues aside did any of these 80s comedies ever look all that great? I love FAST TIMES, AIRPLANE!, etc,, but none of them really cry out for Blu treatment.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted August 12 2011 - 03:47 PM

Is this release missing commentary? I the DVD releases, the Crowe/Heckerling commentary went several minutes past the film (It would be them talking over a black screen) However, I checked on the BD and it seems to end after the credits without the commentary extension. Can anyone else confirm.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 12 2011 - 07:36 PM

Will, you are absolutely right.  I will add the note to my review.  Thanks for pointing it out. I checked my 1999 DVD and the movie runs an additional 7 minutes after the credits with the commentary going as Heckerling and Crowe continue to discuss things like Sean Penn's character work (he stayed in character on set and then reintroduced himself to the crew once he finished the part, only this time as himself and not the character).  They also carry on a joke they were starting before the end of the credits about returning to do additional commentaries together on other appropriate films - in this case ZAPPED! starring Scott Baio.  And they sing a few bars of "Goodbye, Goodbye" to wrap it up. On the Blu-ray, the commentary just stops after the "R" Rating screen.  Thankfully, it's not in mid-sentence, but it's still a strange choice to lop that off.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,154 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 13 2011 - 09:52 AM

darn. One of my most wanted upgrades. I still have the first release DVD. Will wait for a substantial price decrease.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 04:29 AM

On the Blu-ray, the commentary just stops after the "R" Rating screen. Thankfully, it's not in mid-sentence, but it's still a strange choice to lop that off.

If I recall correctly, the commentary extension on the DVD versions must have been a separate title on the disc. If you didn't have the commentary on, the movie would end after the end credits as normal. Maybe it just got overlooked, or whoever authored the disc just said "F it" It's a bit dissapointing, however
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,154 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 08:50 AM

Other reviewers have been kinder with this title. But I saw some image samples that support this review here.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 09:13 AM

Transfer issues aside did any of these 80s comedies ever look all that great? I love FAST TIMES, AIRPLANE!, etc,, but none of them really cry out for Blu treatment.

They were shot on 35mm film just like 99% of every movie ever made. The problem with these Universal blurays are the video masters, not the films.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 09:14 AM

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but I realize it may come across that way.  For better or worse, I'll make a call, and if I'm off, I always know that the readers here will keep my feet to the fire.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted August 14 2011 - 10:53 AM

The only pet peeve I have with this disc is the huge bit of dirt that sticks to the right center of the frame for about the first five minutes. While I understand how a complete cleanup may be a problem, couldn't someone at Universal have cleaned up that annoying blob???

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted August 16 2011 - 01:00 AM

The only pet peeve I have with this disc is the huge bit of dirt that sticks to the right center of the frame for about the first five minutes. While I understand how a complete cleanup may be a problem, couldn't someone at Universal have cleaned up that annoying blob???

Yes that little blob appears to be baked into the opening titles, possibly the result of a dirty optical comprising that entire opening sequence. Other than some visible ringing on some high contrast areas, I was fairly pleased with the way this looked on my 92in FP set-up. No real complaints. Retired (but held on) to my 1999 DVD.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 09:18 AM

I assume all the original music is in this release?

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 09:23 AM

I received my copy in the mail today, from Netflix. Looking forward to watching it as I haven't seen it in a very long time.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 09:40 AM

I believe all the original music is in.  At least all the songs I remember are there. Everything from "We Got The Beat" through the "Best Years of Our Lives" song that drives the mayhem at the football game through the great Jackson Browne song for Stacy's extracurriculars through the mighty Oingo Boingo finale of "Goodbye, Goodbye". If anyone notices a song missing, I'll be curious to hear about it.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted August 16 2011 - 11:07 AM

All the original music is there. I graduated from high school the year this was released (1982) and it always serves as a perfect time capsule for that era. Many of the musical acts (Jackson Browne, The Go Gos) were favorites of mine in high school and it was cool to hear them in this movie for the first time back then. Now, it's a time warp that's fun to revisit whenever the mood strikes.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,997 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 16 2011 - 11:37 AM

All the original music is there. I graduated from high school the year this was released (1982) and it always serves as a perfect time capsule for that era. Many of the musical acts (Jackson Browne, The Go Gos) were favorites of mine in high school and it was cool to hear them in this movie for the first time back then. Now, it's a time warp that's fun to revisit whenever the mood strikes.

I grew up watching this movie on TV and while I didn't go to high school until about a dozen years after it was released, Fast Times is still the quintessential high school movie for me. I think one thing that helped this movie age fairly well is that the differences in clothes, trends, slang and music aren't as extreme as alot of the other teen movies that came out soon after this one.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cinescott 

So very true, I graduated in 85 and this movie pretty much defines the 80's more than any other. It was such a joy to sit and watch, and flash back a little. The 80's music now is considered "classic rock" and is played just about anywhere you go around here. From the malls, to the grocery stores and so on, so very cool.

For anyone who lived on SoCal back in the 80's and remembers Knott's Berry Farm and their Cloud 9 and Studio K dance clubs in the park they did a one night reunion featuring Richard Blade as DJ last April. I missed out, sadly, but I used to go almost weekly back in the day. Anyway, sorry for the flash backs...

To be honest, I wasn't too disappointed in the transfer. It looked pretty darn good. It's a bit soft and grainy but not too bad. Better than the dvd.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,154 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 09:35 AM

This was one of the first R-rated flicks I ever saw at the movies. I was barely 17. Porkys was the other one. Hee hee! We didn't even have cable yet. Oh! What an amazing time that was. I'd gladly have those brains cells removed if somebody had a time machine and I could go back and relive that. Me and my buddy Kevin, who was younger but looked older and bought our tickets, didn't stop talking about these.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users