What's new

NBC eyeing "dark, edgy" Munsters update (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Darker, edgier, and a look at the origins of Herman and Lily. Part of me wants to say Bryan Fuller has earned a look. The rest of me says :rolleyes:
NBC has decided to give "Pushing Daisies" scribe Bryan Fuller's revamp of the classic '60s series "The Munsters" another shot, putting the series back in development after initially giving the idea a pass, a source familiar with the project confirms to TheWrap. The proposed series would be a still-humorous, though edgier and darker, hour-long offering that would delve into the origins of Herman Munster, Lily Munster and their monstrous clan. The network initially greenlit the pilot in September. While NBC brass passed on Fuller's initial script, recently installed NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt was keen enough on the idea to order a second go at the script.
http://thewrap.com/tv/article/nbc-puts-munsters-revamp-back-development-30027 All this and a Bewitched revamp, too (that one over at SeeBS).

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I gotta say I've really enjoyed all of Fuller's shows (own all of them on DVD) but I'm a little weary of this. Not only because it's a remake, but because of the whole "delve into the origins" thing. Granted I was never a huge fan of the original, but I liked it enough mostly because there was no explanation on where they came from. They were just this strange family based on Hollywood's versions of classic horror characters. I think exploring their past may take some of the fun out of it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Any time I hear the phrases "edgy," "remake" (or re-anything), or "backstory", I run screaming for the hills.

This might actually make The Munsters Today look good. I actually watched the first episode on Hulu, which has the whole series (it actually ran a year longer than the original!), and I laughed at how unbelievably bad it was. It was like rejected Munsters scripts performed by a community theater. Watch it if you dare.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It's great ideas like this that keep NBC's primetime line-up at #1! Here's hoping it lasts at least as long as The Paul Reiser Show!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SD_Brian said:
It's great ideas like this that keep NBC's primetime line-up at #1!
Hehehe. Sadly, NBC has the two best shows on network TV but few people seem to watch them. Meanwhile, Ashton Kutcher's Two And A Half Men premiere will probably draw in 25 million viewers.
MatthewA said:
Any time I hear the phrases "edgy," "remake" (or re-anything), or "backstory", I run screaming for the hills.
The funny thing is that it's most likely still a comedy but, this time around, they'll have some dramatic elements thrown in. However, somone at NBC thinks that people will be more interested if they hear that it's "dark and edgy!" but that type of marketing BS has turned people off even more than they already were by it being a remake.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Greg Kettell said:
Can a "Green Acres" reboot with Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton be far behind?
Didn't they already do that? Only it was called "The Simple Life" and Nicole Richie was playing the Kim Kardashian role.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
TravisR said:
Sadly, NBC has the two best shows on network TV but few people seem to watch them.
You can't just drop something like that without explanation. I'd say Chuck is one for me, and Parenthood used to be, though the bloom is a little off the rose.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
You can't just drop something like that without explanation. I'd say Chuck is one for me, and Parenthood used to be, though the bloom is a little off the rose.
I was referring to Community and Parks And Recreation. I kinda wish I stuck with Parenthood a little longer but I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and couldn't get into it. And don't hate me :) but I've never seen Chuck. I've only heard good things though. Either way, I'd say that NBC's ratings drought are a big reason why any of those shows are still on the air. Since they couldn't get ratings, they had to keep the well reviewed shows.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
TravisR said:
And don't hate me :) but I've never seen Chuck.
You're the reason we can't have nice things. :( Just kidding! I think you're right that Chuck benefited greatly from NBC's woes. I think the Jay Leno fiasco bought it some time by itself. I'm sorry it's ending, but five years was a long shot and at least it can go out on its own terms now.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This isn't going to work. I would love a series set as a prequel in the 50's when Herman first met Lilly but to make this today is a mistake. The actors brought so much to the show that they became the characters in real life to the fans. I am sure they all weren't thrilled about it while others embraced it. They should call it something other than the Munsters and give it a better chance.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Honestly, I prefer they did an Adams Family show instead of the Munsters. I loved the first two films, the original TV show wasn't that bad, and I never really got into the Munsters (on Nick at Night).

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Why do many visits to the past need to be "darker" and "edgier"? People still like to have fun, and the material of the past is still fun. Of course, the enjoyment varies from person to person. Some enjoy it genuinely while others enjoy it from the guilty pleasure/hipster perspective, but it's still being watched. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy serious entertainment, but "The Munsters" was just a comedy. Sincerely, John Kilduff... It would be like doing a realistic take on Disney fairy tale mov...Oh, right. They've already done that. "Enchanted", anybody?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
One step closer to reality: http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/its-official-nbc-picks-up-bryan-fullers-reboot-of-the-munsters-to-pilot/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks