Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO Press Release: Gia (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,624 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 07:23 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Gia / Street Date:November 8, 2011

Gia, an HBO original film, features superstar Angelina Jolie's breakout role which earned her a Golden Globe® for Best Actress. It's 1970s New York.  Designer jeans, disco and drugs are rampant.  America's first supermodel, Gia (Jolie), appears to have a charmed life.  Sex, money, power, and fame are all here for the taking.  When she falls victim to life in the fast lane, however, her career and life become a casualty of life on the edge.  Along with Jolie, the film stars Faye Dunaway (Midnight Bayou) who received the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her role, Mercedes Ruehl (The Fisher King), Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost) and Mila Kunis (Black Swan)Gia has been re-mastered and re-packaged for its Blu-ray Disc debut. (Order Date: October 4, 2011,SRP: $14.98,Runtime: 125 minutes,Rating: Unrated, Discs: 1)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ArchMike

ArchMike

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 07:36 AM

Quick summary of why this is a first day buy for me. Young Angelina Jolie goes full nudity. If that's not worth $20...

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 07:43 AM

Quick summary of why this is a first day buy for me. Young Angelina Jolie goes full nudity. If that's not worth $20...

Ten years ago she did a lot of nudity...

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 08:04 AM

History of the World Part 1? Where did that come from?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 10 2011 - 08:47 AM

It's a surprisingly good film.   The previous DVD release - and all showings of the movie since - have been shortened with slightly more then 6 minutes of the film removed; mostly involving nude and drug scenes with Jolie.

If this film is available in it's full, unedited version it's a must buy.   If it's edited, I will pass.

The edited version of the film isn't just short Jolie being naked, but it lacks the real fall of Gia into a more boozed, drugged, debauched state that was the downfall.  It's hard to cut those moments out and have the impact be as meaningful.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 06:04 PM

It's a surprisingly good film.   The previous DVD release - and all showings of the movie since - have been shortened with slightly more then 6 minutes of the film removed; mostly involving nude and drug scenes with Jolie.

If this film is available in it's full, unedited version it's a must buy.   If it's edited, I will pass.

The edited version of the film isn't just short Jolie being naked, but it lacks the real fall of Gia into a more boozed, drugged, debauched state that was the downfall.  It's hard to cut those moments out and have the impact be as meaningful.

OK, I'm a bit confused here.....so you are saying there are 3 versions? The R-Rated DVD (120 minutes) which came out in 1998, the Unrated DVD which came out in 2004 (126 minutes) and the original HBO version which you say adds another 6 minutes?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 11 2011 - 03:04 AM

No, the unrated DVD, which came out in 2004, is "not quite" complete.  It adds back 6 minutes, but there is still about 38 seconds if I remember right that is wrong.   There has actually been a debate about this several times elsewhere; I'd have to look it up because the last time this came up was when the unrated DVD came out. 

Still, the unrated DVD.. which is laughable considering that it was as it was originally aired, and the R-Rated was ONLY on DVD, never aired that way on HBO was wrong.   Just as long as the BD is basically the unrated or full, that's all good.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3