Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Recommend 6.5" in-ceiling speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   tempo

tempo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 02:19 PM

I would like to upgrade the five in-ceiling speakers that came with my house. I am on a budget and hoping to find something under $150/speaker. What I’ve got now are five “builder-grade” 6.5” speakers. They are labeled New Wave Audio IC-6S - oh yeah (specs). I would like to maintain as close as possible to my current ID, which is listed as 7.75”. I have up to 12” depth (absolute maximum). Usage is your typical mix of home theater and music. I use an older Denon home theater receiver that is getting on in years but still works well. I have an 8” powered Paradigm subwoofer. A true bonus would be speakers that are sealed; today the stereo simultaneously rocks the room above the TV room quite well. Help? :confused: Here is a pic of my room: http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted August 09 2011 - 09:28 AM

I'm sorry, but my comment will be of little use to you. Builders who design HTs like this should be tarred and feathered.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted August 09 2011 - 09:29 AM

Love the photographs on the wall, though.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted August 09 2011 - 02:34 PM

I personally wouldn't invest in different ceiling speakers. Even the best ceiling speakers are still, well, ceiling speakers. :D Having said that, I've always hear Speakercraft as the goto brand for ceiling speakers. YMMV.