-

Photo
- - - - -

Let Me In plot question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Wondering

Wondering

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 01:40 AM

Why did Abby's father-figure/aide even carry acid around with him? This was in both movies and it was unclear to me why he had it with him at all. Was it just his version of a cyanide pill in case he was caught? If so, seems like there would have been better alternatives. Any theories?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted August 08 2011 - 07:08 AM

I was under the impression it was to help with the bodies he was piling up - burn off fingerprints, melt the body, ect. They didn't show him using it for anything else in the movie, so that is just a guess. I would expect that whoever has read the book the story was based on would know the answer.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Wondering

Wondering

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 07:58 AM

Seems like a reasonable guess! Thanks! I forgot it was based on a book. Maybe I'll try to get ahold of it some day...

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted August 09 2011 - 08:54 PM

I really want to read the book. There is so much more detail on the Abby character. I was a little disappointed that Let Me In was based on the previous movie and didn't incorporate more from the book.
Hong Kong DVD Reviews and News
http://www.loveandbullets.com

New Jersey Punk Rock
http://www.NJPUNKONLINE.COM

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Wondering

Wondering

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 05:09 AM

Yes, the movies were very similar. I found the pool scene in both to be very effective and creepy, but the hospital wall climbing scene was much better in the first. In the second one, it looked like they'd hired a stunt person to clumsily climb; in the first one (as I recall) Abby shimmies swiftly up the wall. Much more like I'd imagine a vampire doing it :) Also, the flames in the fire room looked very computer created :) But small gripes. I enjoyed both movies very much.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,201 posts

Posted August 10 2011 - 07:03 AM

In the original Swedish film AND in the novel, the character's name isn't Abby. It's Eli. "Abby" was only used in the American remake.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   seanmovie

seanmovie

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 19 2011 - 03:21 PM

its off topic, however i just wanted to you know that abby's fake father is not what he seems. in the picture that owen picked up when he visited abby's apartment for the first time, it contained the picture of abby and a boy wearing glasses; the boy in the picture is abby's present day fake father after years of aging. As well, the movie contains the symbol of a circle and love, with the clues that points abby's fake father was abby's previous boyfriend and his love for abby made him to commit countless murder against his will; at the end of the movie, we see that owen travels with abby to a new town, thus the circle repeats as owen takes up the role of abby's fake father and foreshadowing their deathly future.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Wondering

Wondering

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 20 2011 - 01:12 AM

I'd forgotten about the photo, Sean! Interesting and insightful theory about it! I actually just finished reading the book a couple of days ago. It answers my original question about the acid (I won't give it away here) and presents a lot of plot/character details that, of course, did not make it into the movie. Many characters that have minor or non-existing roles in the movie are expanded upon in fascinating (and frequently disturbing) ways in the book.