What's new

Let Me In plot question (1 Viewer)

Wondering

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Why did Abby's father-figure/aide even carry acid around with him? This was in both movies and it was unclear to me why he had it with him at all. Was it just his version of a cyanide pill in case he was caught? If so, seems like there would have been better alternatives. Any theories?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I was under the impression it was to help with the bodies he was piling up - burn off fingerprints, melt the body, ect. They didn't show him using it for anything else in the movie, so that is just a guess. I would expect that whoever has read the book the story was based on would know the answer.

Wondering

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Seems like a reasonable guess! Thanks! I forgot it was based on a book. Maybe I'll try to get ahold of it some day...

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I really want to read the book. There is so much more detail on the Abby character. I was a little disappointed that Let Me In was based on the previous movie and didn't incorporate more from the book.

Wondering

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Yes, the movies were very similar. I found the pool scene in both to be very effective and creepy, but the hospital wall climbing scene was much better in the first. In the second one, it looked like they'd hired a stunt person to clumsily climb; in the first one (as I recall) Abby shimmies swiftly up the wall. Much more like I'd imagine a vampire doing it :) Also, the flames in the fire room looked very computer created :) But small gripes. I enjoyed both movies very much.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In the original Swedish film AND in the novel, the character's name isn't Abby. It's Eli. "Abby" was only used in the American remake.

seanmovie

Auditioning
Real Name
sean
its off topic, however i just wanted to you know that abby's fake father is not what he seems. in the picture that owen picked up when he visited abby's apartment for the first time, it contained the picture of abby and a boy wearing glasses; the boy in the picture is abby's present day fake father after years of aging. As well, the movie contains the symbol of a circle and love, with the clues that points abby's fake father was abby's previous boyfriend and his love for abby made him to commit countless murder against his will; at the end of the movie, we see that owen travels with abby to a new town, thus the circle repeats as owen takes up the role of abby's fake father and foreshadowing their deathly future.

Wondering

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
I'd forgotten about the photo, Sean! Interesting and insightful theory about it! I actually just finished reading the book a couple of days ago. It answers my original question about the acid (I won't give it away here) and presents a lot of plot/character details that, of course, did not make it into the movie. Many characters that have minor or non-existing roles in the movie are expanded upon in fascinating (and frequently disturbing) ways in the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks