-

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: The Naked Gun, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Airplane! (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 07 2011 - 11:26 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

THREE CLASSIC COMEDIES DEBUT ON BLU-RAY

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES

AIRPLANE!

THE NAKED GUN:

FROM THE FILES OF POLICE SQUAD

Uproarious Films Arrive in High Definition September 25,
Locked & Loaded with Special Features

Planes, Trains And Automobiles Includes a Nearly Hour-Long, Brand New Retrospective on the Work and Legacy of Writer/Director John Hughes

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. – Surely everyone will want to own three of the funniest comedies of the 1980s in high definition.  Thankfully, PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES, AIRPLANE! and THE NAKED GUN: From the Files of Police Squad make their Blu-ray debut exclusively at Best Buy on September 25 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  And don’t call me Shirley.

Written and directed by John Hughes, the hilarious classic PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES stars Steve Martin and John Candy as a businessman and traveling salesman forced together by circumstance as they try to get home in time for Thanksgiving.  The Blu-ray features a brand new, in-depth retrospective on
John Hughes’ career that includes new interviews and explores his indelible impact as a writer and filmmaker.  Additional features include “Getting There is Half the Fun: The Story of Planes, Trains And Automobiles”, “John Hughes For Adults”, a tribute to John Candy and a deleted scene.

A masterpiece of off-the-wall comedy, AIRPLANE! tells the story of an ex-fighter pilot who takes control of an airliner when the crew is incapacitated—and skewers airplane disaster flicks, religious zealots, television commercials and everything else in its path along the way.  The wildly quotable comedy features an all-star cast including Leslie Nielsen, Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty, Robert Stack,
Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and more.  The Blu-ray includes a trivia track, an enhanced version of the film with deleted scenes, interviews and more, commentary by producer Jon Davison and writers/directors Jim Abrahams,
Jerry Zucker and David Zucker and the theatrical trailer.

Leslie Nielsen stars as Police Squad's own granite-jawed, rock-brained cop Frank Drebin, who bumbles across a mind-control scheme to assassinate Queen Elizabeth in THE NAKED GUN: From the Files of Police Squad. Priscilla Presley,
Ricardo Montalban, a stuffed beaver, two baseball teams and an odd assortment of others join the wacko goings-on.  The Blu-ray includes commentary by director
David Zucker, producer Robert Weiss and Peter Tilden and the theatrical trailer.

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES Blu-ray

The PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Spanish 2.0 Surround Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Bonus features are presented in standard definition except where noted:

• John Hughes: Life Moves Pretty Fast (HD)—NEW!
    • John Hughes: The Voice of a Generation
    • Heartbreak and Triumph: The Legacy of John Hughes
  • [*] Getting There is Half the Fun: The Story of Planes, Trains And Automobiles [*] John Hughes for Adults [*] A Tribute to John Candy [*] Deleted Scene—“Airplane Food” (HD)

AIRPLANE! Blu-ray

The AIRPLANE! Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 2.0 Surround Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Bonus features are presented in standard definition except where noted:

• Commentary by producer Jon Davison and writers/directors
    Jim Abrahams, Jerry Zucker and David Zucker
  • Long Haul Version: Includes Deleted Scenes, Interviews and More
  • Trivia Track
  • Theatrical Trailer (HD)
NAKED GUN: From the Files of Police Squad Blu-ray

The NAKED GUN: From the Files of Police Squad Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Bonus features are presented in standard definition except where noted:

• Commentary by David Zucker, Robert Weiss and Peter Tilden
  • Theatrical Trailer (HD)
About Paramount Home Entertainment  

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES

Street date:                            September 25, 2011

Suggested Retail Price:           $19.99 U.S.

Runtime:                                 92 minutes

U.S. Rating:                            R

Canadian Rating:                   PG

AIRPLANE!

Street date:                            September 25, 2011

Runtime:                                 87 minutes

U.S. Rating:                            PG

Canadian Rating:                   14A

NAKED GUN: From the Files of Police Squad

Street date:                            September 25, 2011

Runtime:                                 85 minutes

U.S. Rating:                            PG-13

Canadian Rating:                   PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 12:33 AM

Fantastic news. Barring any terrible reviews, I'm in for all 3 of these. I've enjoyed many of these BB exclusives. While some are against BB exclusive, I've found them to be priced right and to feature some great films. I've picked up many of them. Hope all of the Naked Guns and both Airplanes finally get released. And great to see another Hughes film! I want them all.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 08 2011 - 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by David Deeb 

Fantastic news. Barring any terrible reviews, I'm in for all 3 of these.

I've enjoyed many of these BB exclusives. While some are against BB exclusive, I've found them to be priced right and to feature some great films. I've picked up many of them.

Hope all of the Naked Guns and both Airplanes finally get released. And great to see another Hughes film! I want them all.

You are so right, all of the exclusives, whether they are Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or Target, have been good buys.  I'll end up getting only Airplane.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 01:14 AM

I am in the camp of not particularly liking Best Buy exclusives at all.

As someone who avoids going to retail stores at all costs and orders

all my Blu-rays through Amazon, I don't find that having to travel to

Best Buy to get these titles is convenient.

Besides that, I have found that Best Buy doesn't always do a good

job of displaying these sale titles and sometimes they get lost in the

general population rack.  There are even many members who have
gone to stores to find titles out of stock whereas if they had been
ordered online, they would have been guaranteed a copy.

The only upside to these exclusives would be the $10 pricetag

that sometimes accompanies these releases.  However, that is not

always guaranteed.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 08 2011 - 02:03 AM

I'm with the others that enjoy the exclusives and their low prices.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 08 2011 - 02:03 AM

When I go to Best Buy for exclusive or sale titles (like Spy Kids) I buy online and use the in store pickup.  That way I don't have to spend the time trying to find the BDs, then finding an employee to help me find the BDs.  Its the only way to shop if you know what you want.

All three titles are currently listed for $19.99 each.  Hopefully that will be reduced by street date.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 02:16 AM

When I go to Best Buy for exclusive or sale titles (like Spy Kids) I buy online and use the in store pickup.

That's good for stores that actually put those titles online for pickup.

My store has repeatedly shown OUT OF STOCK online while the
title was actually available.

Ronald J Epstein

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 03:30 AM

I hope the Airplane! Blu will offer the option of watching all of the extra features without being forced to sit through a three-hour presentation of the movie.

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 08 2011 - 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brisby 

I hope the Airplane! Blu will offer the option of watching all of the extra features without being forced to sit through a three-hour presentation of the movie.

Not sure I understand your comment.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 04:59 AM

I understand the comment.

The last Special Edition of this DVD had supplemental

material worked into the film itself instead of separately.

So, instead of having the material presented to you in

a separate PIP window while you were watching the film,

they actually had a "long haul" version that placed the

supplements within the film itself.

I never thought that was a good idea, because essentially,

you were sitting there watching a 3-hour film with all this

extra material.

That all being said, there really is a good bunch of
supplements here -- many describing flubs in the film.

My favorite was the "springboard" stunt within the

take-off scene of Saturday Night Fever.

Look at 2:56 point where Robert Hayes is thrown
to the right of the screen.  As he allegedly crash lands

on the floor, you can already see him crouching behind

the cast extras waiting to springboard back.

It's so blatant, but yet until it was pointed out on the

DVD, nobody ever caught it.

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 07:17 AM

I am in the camp of not particularly liking Best Buy exclusives at all.

As someone who avoids going to retail stores at all costs and orders

all my Blu-rays through Amazon, I don't find that having to travel to

Best Buy to get these titles is convenient.

Besides that, I have found that Best Buy doesn't always do a good

job of displaying these sale titles and sometimes they get lost in the

general population rack.  There are even many members who have
gone to stores to find titles out of stock whereas if they had been
ordered online, they would have been guaranteed a copy.

The only upside to these exclusives would be the $10 pricetag

that sometimes accompanies these releases.  However, that is not

always guaranteed.

There's no particular reason you should have to go to the store--you can order Blu-rays online from Best Buy's website, exactly as you do from Amazon.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 07:19 AM

There's no particular reason you should have to go to the store--you can order Blu-rays online from Best Buy's website, exactly as you do from Amazon.

How much is their shipping?  I get free shipping with Amazon.

Generally, there is no real upswing for me to purchase from Best Buy over Amazon.

Ronald J Epstein

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 08 2011 - 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

I understand the comment.

The last Special Edition of this DVD had supplemental

material worked into the film itself instead of separately.

So, instead of having the material presented to you in

a separate PIP window while you were watching the film,

they actually had a "long haul" version that placed the

supplements within the film itself.

I never thought that was a good idea, because essentially,

you were sitting there watching a 3-hour film with all this

extra material.

That all being said, there really is a good bunch of
supplements here -- many describing flubs in the film.

My favorite was the "springboard" stunt within the

take-off scene of Saturday Night Fever.

Look at 2:56 point where Robert Hayes is thrown
to the right of the screen.  As he allegedly crash lands

on the floor, you can already see him crouching behind

the cast extras waiting to springboard back.

It's so blatant, but yet until it was pointed out on the

DVD, nobody ever caught it.

I missed that DVD release all together and guess I am glad I did.  I can see it can be frustrating.  Thanks for cluing me in.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 09:00 AM

Just updated information we received from the studio in
the original post above.  Enjoy!

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 10:21 AM

Just updated information we received from the studio in
the original post above.  Enjoy!

Thanks. I wonder if the "Long Haul Version" means those deleted scenes & interviews are incorporated back into the 3 hour viewing rather than being stand alone supplements. :( I hope not. Like Brisby said, i'd prefer to watch supplements individually.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 08 2011 - 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

I'm with the others that enjoy the exclusives and their low prices.

Crawdaddy

I enjoy them, but I confess that I don't get it.  Whats the point of paying for an exclusive if you are heavily discounting it?  This will the Best Buy Exclusive Rio 3D was cheaper than the Amazon pre-order coming out later this month.

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 11:56 AM

It all sounds pretty good. But yeah, it would be nice to be able to access the "Airplane" features outside the film. And as for Naked Gun, there a few bits of deleted footage that turn up in the TV version of the movie, why still hold that stuff back?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,149 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 08 2011 - 02:03 PM

I'll be buying Airplane but thats it for now, surely there will be a three movie set of the Police Squad films, all together.
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted August 08 2011 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
surely there will be a three movie set of the Police Squad films, all together.

I'll refrain from answering that question with the typical "Airplane" reply Posted Image

My best educated guess is that this will be a simple port of the DVD
Special Edition so the "Long Haul Version" will be the same as it was

whereas you have to sit and watch an extra-long movie with all the

supplements included in it instead of in a PIP window.

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,267 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 09 2011 - 12:12 AM

As entertaining as The Naked Gun films are, I'd much rather have the television original Police Squad! on Blu. Of course, that's not going to happen.