What's new

If you've been thinking about buying an Apple Laptop today is the day, RUN and buy a Kindle Special (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
20% off any laptop at Amazon with a KSO coupon, the i5 13" Air comes out cheaper than the 11" without discount =) http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=809152&t=3178897 Thinking I'm getting the 13" i5 128 for $987 tho the doubled disk comes out to under $1300 instead of close to $1600...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I bit on the 13 with the 256GB drive. I was sooo tempted to get the 128 to keep it under a grand but at the end of the day I'm going to want the extra space. As this to complement my 2011 17" fully specced out i7 MBP I don't need it to be the all encompassing power beast but I still have reservations that it is going to be enough to cover me for short trips. Since I doubled the RAM to 8GB on the 17 I've got to say it was a huuuuuge improvement for Parallels. It's going to be interesting to see if I can live with running the one game I care about (EQ1) with only that much RAM or if I am going to have to bootcamp it. The graphics card should be faster than my old 2007 era MBP by far so I'm not worried there, and I know it will run great in Bootcamp, but if I can make it all work under Parallels this will really save my back... The idea here is that the Air will be used on my short trips where I won't have much need for media edits so can travel light, but when I'm going to really need Lightroom and FCPX I'll still have the 17 when I need it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You're a bad influence, Sam. I ordered a Kindle with special offers yesterday, had it delivered today, got the coupon, and now need to decide which laptop to get. Even with the Kindle purchase, I come out ahead with that 20 percent discount.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
AWESOME!!! What are you trying to decide between, I can spend other people's money just as well as I can my own =) Don't forget, if you redeemed your coupon you do NOT have to use it today, it's valid till september 8th!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I was trying to decide between 13 inch models of the Air. Last night, I played with a friend's 13/128 which he picked up at the Apple Store last weekend. It was sweet, but I know I will tend to use the maximum hard drive space available. So I ordered the 13/256 as you did. With the coupon and no sales tax, I paid less than my friend did for the 13/128 at retail (with sales tax), even with the cost of the Kindle factored in. I also had $65 in Amex Rewards to redeem, which made it even less. Of course, by the time I get AppleCare, the net savings will diminish. But I have a year to get that. Now to wait a month or more for Amazon to ship!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Love the New Air, I picked up a Maxed out 11" and I already had a Maxed out 13" from 2010. I really like the size of the 11" thou, so I think the 13 is going up for sale.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Amazon bumped up delivery of my 13"-er by 2 weeks, I should have it Tuesday!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Congrats! I bumped up my shipping to 1-day for $3.99, and it shows Shipping Soon with delivery set for Monday. But I've sometimes had Friday 1-day deliveries show up on Saturday, so I am impatiently waiting to see what the shipping notice actually says.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
First impressions: Holy crap the disk in this thing is fast. I've got the Quad Core i7 17" don't forget and the slower i5 in the MBA -feels- faster because of the snappiness of the disk. Installed all of my apps from the cloud last night, including the extra copy of Parallels that I picked up on sale last month, just need to get a Win7 ISO on there today/tomorrow to see how badly being stuck in 4gb is going to affect that and if I can even run my game on it. If that isn't satisfactory I'll bootcamp it. If I was a college student again there is no doubt this would be my first choice for a laptop. Damn it's light, bright, and just looks great. Semi-gloss isn't bothering me AT ALL. In fact I forgot about it completely until I started writing this up. Of course I'm not going to be doing much photo and video editing on it to start with, but time will tell.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mine got to the DFW metroplex at 4:11am today, and there it sits. I won't be seeing it until Monday. Sigh.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ye gods! Amazon merchants are selling the MBA 13/256 for far above retail price of $1599. Prices range from $1740 to $2998. One merchant even lists if for $29919 (which I hope is a typo). Amazon is the lowest price ($5 off retail) but temporarily out of stock. Amazon does not even have the 11-inch in stock, and the other merchants are once again selling at far above retail. I'm glad I got in when I did, especially with that coupon!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I just looked at the online Apple Store, and all the "stock" versions of the MacBook Air show "Ships: Within 24 hours. Free shipping". At the Amazon site, there's one guy trying to sell a USED MacBook Air for $1850 + $7.99 shipping. You can have a new one for $1699 by custom-ordering a MBA with the Core i7 upgrade from Apple.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Shipping may be free at Apple, but they charge sales tax. Ordering from Amazon (with Amazon as the merchant) saved me the 20 percent coupon and another 8.25 percent sales tax. Even with the cost of the Kindle with Special Offers thrown in, I saved almost $200 plus tax. Truly unbeatable. All I had to do was wait a week or so for delivery. The Amazon merchants are insane if they think their high prices will fly. I'd definitely order from Apple or go to the Apple Store if dealing direct with Amazon.com was not an option. Granted, you can only get the Core i7 configuration via custom order from Apple.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Sam Posten said:
I dont think the i7 is a worthwhile upgrade on the air personally.
In this case, the Amazon Marketplace seller offering the overpriced, used, MacBook Air for sale specified that it had the Core i7 upgrade. It didn't seem fair to compare his asking price for a used Core i7 model to Apple's asking price for a new Core i5, so I looked up what Apple wanted for the Core i7 configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks