What's new

In Wall vs. In Ceiling Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

DrGerm

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello, I am doing research to install a 7.1 system in a 14.5 x 13.5 room with 10 ft ceilings and hard wood flooring. I just figured out that the clearance from the side of the 60" TV I'm going to wall mount to a door frame at best is 12 inches (I don't have measurement yet, need to get access back to this house to measure again). It might only be like 3 inches (uggh). I had wanted to do in-wall speakers for the center, fronts, and sides with in-ceiling installation of the rear speakers. Since it's a possibility that I couldn't center everything on the desired wall the way I'd like, I was wondering if installing the front speakers in the ceiling would be any problem. I am primarily wanting to make sure I get the best quality experience I can squeeze out of my situation. The distance from the wall to the sitting position is 10 feet, which is the height of the ceilings. But, for some reason, I just think this might be an odd thing to do... Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In-ceiling speakers are a really bad idea for the front channels. Imaging will be poor (i.e. pans and L/R separation), and there will be a significant loss of the high frequencies with the tweeters being so far off-axis from the listening position. I’m not sure if your goals of the “best quality experience” possible is tied more to the video side of the equation than the audio. To facilitate the latter, I’d suggest going with a smaller screen size that would better accommodate optimal speaker placement, which would ensure the best surround-sound experience. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Is 12" the room left on both sides of the TV? Is there room above and/or below the TV for the speakers? Depending on these answers, you have a couple options. 1) Mount the 3 speakers above or below the TV. 2) Use just 2 front speakers above or below the TV. 3) Use a soundbar for the fronts. It's hard to picture the setup without a pic.

DrGerm

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Jim Mcc said:
Is 12" the room left on both sides of the TV? Is there room above and/or below the TV for the speakers? Depending on these answers, you have a couple options. 1) Mount the 3 speakers above or below the TV. 2) Use just 2 front speakers above or below the TV. 3) Use a soundbar for the fronts. It's hard to picture the setup without a pic.
Problem is I won't be able to go back to that house to re-measure for a couple weeks (haven't closed yet). Based on my measurements (because I failed to measure exactly where the door is on the wall in question... uggh...), I'll either have 3" or 12"... If 12" then, I'll offset placement a couple inches from center and it's all cool. That 3" or 12" is between the left side of the TV (anatomical left) and the edge of the door frame leading to a hallway. The other side would have plenty of room (like 4 or 5 feet). In case you're wondering, the other three walls are the same problem or worse due to another door (to a closet) and a HUGE window. So, I'm just stuck with the layout I've been given. Regarding the size of TV (Samsung UN60D8000), it's just the TV I have and need to figure out how to make everything work. After doing some other research, what I think I'll do is place a good soundbar directly beneath the TV. What was recommended to me is the Triad OnWall Mini LCR 3.0 SE. I have time to research this further before moving though. Thanks!

DrGerm

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Sorry, This forum won't let me upload a pic, here is a link: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-frPrFGCj8DQ/Tjx1o_WvPXI/AAAAAAAAAYM/iMVvDRwAxUo/s800/Wall%252520and%252520Door%252520Problem.png

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by DrGerm

This forum won't let me upload a pic, here is a link: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-frPrFGCj8DQ/Tjx1o_WvPXI/AAAAAAAAAYM/iMVvDRwAxUo/s800/Wall%252520and%252520Door%252520Problem.png

Sorry Kevin, it was awaiting validation in our spam filter.

DrGerm

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Adam Gregorich said:
Sorry Kevin, it was awaiting validation in our spam filter. 

Oh, and I thought it was because of my 1st grade drawing abilities on the diagram :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks