Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

In Wall vs. In Ceiling Speaker Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 DrGerm

DrGerm

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 04 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hello, I am doing research to install a 7.1 system in a 14.5 x 13.5 room with 10 ft ceilings and hard wood flooring. I just figured out that the clearance from the side of the 60" TV I'm going to wall mount to a door frame at best is 12 inches (I don't have measurement yet, need to get access back to this house to measure again). It might only be like 3 inches (uggh). I had wanted to do in-wall speakers for the center, fronts, and sides with in-ceiling installation of the rear speakers. Since it's a possibility that I couldn't center everything on the desired wall the way I'd like, I was wondering if installing the front speakers in the ceiling would be any problem. I am primarily wanting to make sure I get the best quality experience I can squeeze out of my situation. The distance from the wall to the sitting position is 10 feet, which is the height of the ceilings. But, for some reason, I just think this might be an odd thing to do... Thanks!

#2 of 7 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted August 05 2011 - 08:05 AM

In-ceiling speakers are a really bad idea for the front channels. Imaging will be poor (i.e. pans and L/R separation), and there will be a significant loss of the high frequencies with the tweeters being so far off-axis from the listening position. I’m not sure if your goals of the “best quality experience” possible is tied more to the video side of the equation than the audio. To facilitate the latter, I’d suggest going with a smaller screen size that would better accommodate optimal speaker placement, which would ensure the best surround-sound experience. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 05 2011 - 10:14 AM

Is 12" the room left on both sides of the TV? Is there room above and/or below the TV for the speakers? Depending on these answers, you have a couple options. 1) Mount the 3 speakers above or below the TV. 2) Use just 2 front speakers above or below the TV. 3) Use a soundbar for the fronts. It's hard to picture the setup without a pic.

#4 of 7 DrGerm

DrGerm

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 05 2011 - 10:56 AM

Is 12" the room left on both sides of the TV? Is there room above and/or below the TV for the speakers? Depending on these answers, you have a couple options. 1) Mount the 3 speakers above or below the TV. 2) Use just 2 front speakers above or below the TV. 3) Use a soundbar for the fronts. It's hard to picture the setup without a pic.

Problem is I won't be able to go back to that house to re-measure for a couple weeks (haven't closed yet). Based on my measurements (because I failed to measure exactly where the door is on the wall in question... uggh...), I'll either have 3" or 12"... If 12" then, I'll offset placement a couple inches from center and it's all cool. That 3" or 12" is between the left side of the TV (anatomical left) and the edge of the door frame leading to a hallway. The other side would have plenty of room (like 4 or 5 feet). http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ In case you're wondering, the other three walls are the same problem or worse due to another door (to a closet) and a HUGE window. So, I'm just stuck with the layout I've been given. Regarding the size of TV (Samsung UN60D8000), it's just the TV I have and need to figure out how to make everything work. After doing some other research, what I think I'll do is place a good soundbar directly beneath the TV. What was recommended to me is the Triad OnWall Mini LCR 3.0 SE. I have time to research this further before moving though. Thanks!

#5 of 7 DrGerm

DrGerm

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 05 2011 - 10:59 AM

Sorry, This forum won't let me upload a pic, here is a link: https://lh3.googleus...2520Problem.png

#6 of 7 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,632 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 05 2011 - 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerm 

This forum won't let me upload a pic, here is a link: https://lh3.googleus...2520Problem.png

Sorry Kevin, it was awaiting validation in our spam filter.

#7 of 7 DrGerm

DrGerm

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 05 2011 - 01:00 PM

Sorry Kevin, it was awaiting validation in our spam filter. 

Oh, and I thought it was because of my 1st grade drawing abilities on the diagram :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users