What's new

Bubba Smith (1945-2011) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Bubba was my friend. His generosity was far larger than his physical stature," Guttenberg tells TMZ.com "Only his gift for caring about his friends and family could compare with his achievements on the football field, film and television. He also laughed like no other," added Guttenberg. Smith's body was found by his caretaker Wednesday in his Baldwin Hills home in Los Angeles. He was 66. Officials believe he died of natural causes.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-guttenberg-bubba-smith-death-219378 :( Rest in peace, Hightower. You were a big part of my '80s experience.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This sucks. To say I grew up with those movies (and Officer Hightower's...well...towering, near-silent machismo) would be a gross understatement. R.I.P., Bubba. (On an extreme side-note, am I the only one who'd be interested in an Apatow-produced Police Academy remake with Donald Glover in the Mahoney role?)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This was very sad news, as I much enjoyed Bubba Smith's work on the Police Academy films (the first six in the series). He was part of an entertaining ensemble cast, but could stand on his own. I would call him 'the gentle giant'. That was how he came across in the series. More recently I've seen Bubba Smith in the film Black Moon Rising (1986).

It just wasn't the same without him and Marion Ramsay in Mission to Moscow (1994), the seventh in the Police Academy series.

Had read there were plans for an eighth Police Academy film, but not much more than that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Another of my childhood memories was of Bubba Smith and his football days. I especially remember his days with the Baltimore Colts, as Johnny Unitas is my all-time favorite quarterback.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Something I find myself wondering about is if Smith will be included in the TCM Remembers montage at the end of the year. TCM mentions more talents than the Oscars In Memoriam, so Smith might have a chance to be included there. As I think about his work, he played a nice guy in many of his movies, indeed rather a "gentle giant". I saw "Black Moon Rising", though, and that was proof that he could get vicious when he needed to. Sincerely, John Kilduff... Also, as I've collected various retro broadcasts, I've seen many of the Miller Lite commercials he did. Those were funny also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks