Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Parametric Equalizer on Yamaha RX-V3900

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   BraveHeart123

BraveHeart123

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted August 04 2011 - 03:26 AM

can anyone pls explain the the value of Q in parametric equalizer? Yamaha suggests, lower the value of Q; wider is the bandwidth and viz a viz. Is there any formula to calculate it or just trying different values and judging the effect by gutt feeling is the only resort??? Being an engineer myself, I don't go on gutt feeling and need to know the exact thing. Any help is highly appreciated....

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,182 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 04 2011 - 09:12 AM

Unless specified like on the BFD, it is an arbitrary measurement. The BFD specifies the Q as 1/60 octave. Have you tried to contact Yamaha or ask in the Receiver section of the forum?

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,937 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted August 04 2011 - 09:35 AM

Filter Q refers to bandwidth – how wide an area the filter affects. Since you’re an engineer, here’s an on-line calculator. Since you mention “trying different values,” I assume you’re already using an equalizer. As you can see from the graphs at this post, functional bandwidth can vary from one to the next for a given value (i.e. how wide a path they cut). Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   BraveHeart123

BraveHeart123

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted August 04 2011 - 05:42 PM

Thanx Wayne ... that's what i was looking for. It's a great link and huge help on your part.