What's new

Parametric Equalizer on Yamaha RX-V3900 (1 Viewer)

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
can anyone pls explain the the value of Q in parametric equalizer? Yamaha suggests, lower the value of Q; wider is the bandwidth and viz a viz. Is there any formula to calculate it or just trying different values and judging the effect by gutt feeling is the only resort??? Being an engineer myself, I don't go on gutt feeling and need to know the exact thing. Any help is highly appreciated....

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless specified like on the BFD, it is an arbitrary measurement. The BFD specifies the Q as 1/60 octave. Have you tried to contact Yamaha or ask in the Receiver section of the forum?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Filter Q refers to bandwidth – how wide an area the filter affects. Since you’re an engineer, here’s an on-line calculator. Since you mention “trying different values,” I assume you’re already using an equalizer. As you can see from the graphs at this post, functional bandwidth can vary from one to the next for a given value (i.e. how wide a path they cut). Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
Thanx Wayne ... that's what i was looking for. It's a great link and huge help on your part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks