Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix Strategies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 01 2011 - 11:25 AM

Seems the forums lineups have changed since I last paid attention, so I hope this is the appropriate place for this thread. Just wondering what other Netflix customers are thinking about the huge price increase recently announced. Netflix wants to separate their streaming service and have it stand on it's own as a viable product. My problem with this is that it represents a 50% price increase but with no increase in service. I would love to see subtitles, HD content and maybe even some BD Live type features, but none [as far as I can tell] are available with Netflix streaming. Some content says it's HD, but I've never been able to get HD with my 30MBPS Internet connection. I've weighed some options and still cannot identify a clear strategy. Wal-Mart is getting back into the game, but their a lacarte [sp] pricing seems woefully antiquated to me. Amazon has their "Prime" instant videos, but their content does not seem on par with Netflix. I've heard that Redbox wants to get into the game too, but I have yet to see anything from them. I know there are other options, but they are more on the premium HD level and will not be price competitive with either Netflix or Wal-Mart. So, is Netflix still the reigning king despite their shortcoming, or is there a better alternative out there that I am just unaware of.
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,644 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 01 2011 - 11:39 AM

There's been some discussion here about the changes:

http://www.hometheat...or-1-bluray-out

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 01 2011 - 11:41 AM

Well..

Walmart owns VuDu.   What ends up coming from that will be interesting.   Because while I find Vudu a bad deal at $6 a whack (especially when most DVD titles are about $20), Walmart's policy of "buy a BD, get a free Vudu Rental" make it an attractive way to "try" movies out to see if they are anything I -might- want to buy.

Walmart might expand that.

I can't figure out what Netflix is doing.   Their library of online is shrinking, and their rental library has wiped out most of the more obscure titles, which is what they used to pride themselves on.

Amazon isn't really a rental service and the "free with Prime" titles are largely crap and the quality is pretty darn poor.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 02 2011 - 04:06 AM

I've never been a Netflix customer, but their pricing structure is not attractive to an occasional renter like me. I recently upgraded to a new Panny BDT210 BluRay player which supports numerous streaming services. Between signing up for a new account and getting additional credits for some BD purchases, I had $21 worth of credits for Vudu. I have tried one movie so far, and the quality is pretty good. I cannot envision renting from them too much at their current regular prices, though, as $6 for a high definition rental is too steep. We still have a local Blockbuster story nearby where I can rent a BD for $2. Walmart needs to get their Vudu pricing closer to that in order to get my regular business.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 655 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 05:28 AM

That's a good point about price increase without increase in service. I get that studios are sticking it to Netflix by jacking up their licensing fees, and so Netflix has to pass that cost along. And I also understand their desire to get out of the DVD mailing game, reducing their cost, but since not every title is available to streaming, it's creating a lot of ill feelings. As a Netflix subscriber, I've been pretty happy with the service. But with the new rates, I'm seriously considering dropping the DVD portion and only keeping the streaming portion. And the only reason I'd keep that is because I have a Netflix enabled blu-ray player, and may want to stream something every once in a while. But I'll continue to look for less expensive alternatives.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:01 AM

I absolultly love Netflix. The price prior to the increase was so low, that even after the increase it's still a good deal. I just have Netflix and an OTA antenna.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:12 AM

As a Netflix subscriber, I've been pretty happy with the service. But with the new rates, I'm seriously considering dropping the DVD portion and only keeping the streaming portion. And the only reason I'd keep that is because I have a Netflix enabled blu-ray player, and may want to stream something every once in a while. But I'll continue to look for less expensive alternatives.

I feel the same way, and an increase of a dollar or so would have been acceptable to me. Their current strategy seems purposefully designed to jettison customers. The streaming service [their apparent future] isn't ready to stand on it's own yet. maybe one day it will be and at that time I would be happy to pay a higher price for it.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:15 AM

I absolultly love Netflix. The price prior to the increase was so low, that even after the increase it's still a good deal. I just have Netflix and an OTA antenna.

Well, we disagree about the pricing, but I have always loved Netflix too. That's what's so sad about this whole thing. Why change a winning strategy? Why abandon the very features that made them who they are? I too have just Netflix, an OTA antenna, and whatever I can get from the Internet.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:23 AM

Well..

Walmart owns VuDu.   What ends up coming from that will be interesting. 

Yes. I'm waiting for Wal-Mart to come up with some more realistic pricing. I figure they'll get it right eventually.

I can't figure out what Netflix is doing.   Their library of online is shrinking, and their rental library has wiped out most of the more obscure titles, which is what they used to pride themselves on.

Looks to me like they are getting rid of customers they consider unprofitable. I'm no financial whiz, but I guess "fewer is better" may work in some situations.

Amazon isn't really a rental service and the "free with Prime" titles are largely crap and the quality is pretty darn poor.

Just figuring this out myself. Too bad.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

Well..

Walmart owns VuDu.   What ends up coming from that will be interesting.   Because while I find Vudu a bad deal at $6 a whack (especially when most DVD titles are about $20), Walmart's policy of "buy a BD, get a free Vudu Rental" make it an attractive way to "try" movies out to see if they are anything I -might- want to buy.

Walmart might expand that.

According to Home Media Mag WM is starting to add some $.99 titles to Vudu http://www.walmart.c...Demand-by-VUDU/

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:57 AM

shouldnt this discussion be in the topic that was started by Sam, seems like the same thing just a different header.
facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 07:03 AM

shouldnt this discussion be in the topic that was started by Sam, seems like the same thing just a different header.

There's been some discussion here about the changes:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-it-s-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out

Sorry. I should have checked for similar discussions.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels