What's new

HDMI TV OUT loses picture (1 Viewer)

mystagename

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I purchased a Onkyo TX-NR509 and hooked up my blueray, satellite box and appletv via HDMI. I used the HDMI out to the tv so I can control all the switching through the Onkyo. This worked fine for the first day, then last night I lost the picture. It didnt matter what component I tried, they were all fading in and out and eventually went black. The audio continued to work. I had this same problem with a Sony unit I returned as defective. Now I'm thinking there must be something else going on. Can anyone help? The TV is a Sony LCD 1080p. I have no video issues when the componenet video is sent directly to the TV, only when running through the receiver.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Next time the picture goes black, turn off the receiver only and then back on. If the picture comes back, the receiver is the problem. My Onkyo 805 does the same thing, so I went straight to tv from the cable box with component cables. No big deal. I bought the receiver for the audio anyway, not the video. When I can get another HDMI cable, I may try that instead of the component cables, and see if it works any better. My wife likes the easier switching when going through the receiver. With mine, it's not the HDMI Out, because everything else works like a charm. Component into the receiver is upconverted to HDMI, and sent out to tv via HDMI. So, it's either the component connection being upconverted that's the problem, or a board in the receiver for component connections is bad. Good luck!

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried a new/different hdmi cable from the receiver out to the tv? I had this same problem a couple of months ago with my setup (an HK receiver out to a Sony tv) (sound but no picture). I assumed it was the receiver's fault as my HK model has had issues per different audio/video forums. I tried everything I could think of until an HK technician suggested I try/replace the cable. I did that and it has worked fine ever since.

mystagename

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Thanks for the advice. I have tried various HDMI cables with the same result. I get the video issues with each unit (all connected via HDMI) - satellite, appletv, and blueray. once the video goes bad with one (after a period of time, sometimes 20 minutes to an hour after turning on) it is bad via each connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks