What's new

Another Hitchcock set from Universal....and NO BLU-Ray??? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
From today's DIGITAL BITS post: "Universal has announced a new Alfred Hitchcock: The Essentials Collection DVD box set for release on 10/4, due to include Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds." After viewing a list (nearly a year ago) of fifteen or so catalog titles we could expect on Blu-ray soon, I am wondering why Universal is recycling five titles (but including a Warner Bros title this time) yet again for DVD but not even THE BIRDS has been announced for Blu-ray. Exasperating!

davyblu

Auditioning
Real Name
David Wayne Fox
I feel your pain on this. . .why would they go to the trouble of putting together yet another package with these movies without releasing them on Blu-ray---especially since a couple of them are ALREADY on Blu? One of the most exasperating announcements I've heard. . .unless it's incomplete? Maybe? Please?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am very upset about this. I went to Amazon and yes it is just dvd's. I already had my Birds on pre order in BD but this box set is a slap in the face to fans.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
even criterion can't be arsed to put their Hitchcock on bluray. I guess he a poor seller?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't believe Criterion holds the rights to release Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious any more. Seems like MGM has those rights now.

Oh, were you thinking of The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps? Aren't they working on them? Seems like we got some sort of hint about them a few months ago. I suspect they need a lot of tender, loving care considering their age.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As to the DVDs, I really see no need for this release unless the previous editions of these five films have now gone out of print. And Rear Window, The Birds, and Vertigo just happen to be the Hitchcock classics many people are really waiting for.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
As someone rightly pointed out The Birds has been announced on BD and I have had it on order since Oct last year from Amazon but like other Universal Rays from Universal there seems to have been a huge delay. Some have come thru recently. The reason never seems to revealed.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Me,i'm just waiting for Vertigo.That's it. Oh,and Rebecca (Joan Fontaine..sigh ) And The 39 steps.right. I remember seeing this Premiere collection with tons of extras on each dvd.These would be phenomenal on Blu. The link here lists all the synopses,but has the wrong one for the Laird Cregar Lodger from 1944.Pfff. http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/alfred-hitchcock-premiere-collection.html Although that one is a terrific film also.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Adam_S said:
even criterion can't be arsed to put their Hitchcock on bluray. I guess he a poor seller?
Probably has to do with rights or film elements. The Lady Vanishes had a new HD transfer for its 2-disc reissue, but The 39 Steps hasn't been upgraded since its first DVD edition. The UK Blu isn't that great. Criterion does have a lot of iTV (formerly Granada and Carlton) titles under license, but MGM also managed to get The Lodger, Young & Innocent, and Sabotage from the same library.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I want To Catch A Thief a 2002 dvd which i have. Rebecca Criterion which i have. Foreign Correspondent from WB and the rest are Universal dvds Vertigo Rear Window Marnie The Trouble With Harry. I have been waiting for HD release's. I wish they could hand out a better Foreign Correspondent. I do not understand maybe will get To Catch a Thief. I have held off veiwing some titles for hope of release. I guess I might as well put them the blu ray player and enjoy them. I did that last weekend with Rear Window. I also do not like this business of another version of Casablanca. I must check Amazon out to see if it is up for preorder. I have my BD version so why buy another???

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw the Bits' update of this news story as well. Kind of just rolled my eyes... Yeah. I would be buying the Hitchcock films if they would put them out on blu ray. I am in for Rear Window, The Birds (October 2011 is the rumor that I have heard for this one) and Vertigo from the announced DVD set. I really think at times the studios are really over saturating the market with dvd releases. It seems they release stuff over and over again on DVD! In this case, I am very puzzled why there hasn't been more news on other Hitchcock films coming to blu ray. Universal has stated that they are working on more Hitchcock titles, but they have not stated which ones. Hopefully they will have an update soon. Robert Harris has commented that all of the restoration work done in the 90's on several of the titles is not good enough for blu ray release. Check out post #89... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294159/a-few-words-about-north-by-northwest-in-blu-ray/89 and post 93: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294159/a-few-words-about-north-by-northwest-in-blu-ray/93

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
and i keep thinking all this nonsense about bluray slowly dying away keeps popping up here and there if stuff like this keeps turning up right ? I'm willing to bet some exec somewhere is even more nostalgic than i am,and is pushing right this minute for a laserdisc comeback ( With new and IMPROVED ROT !!! ) :rolleyes:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
you know its not only universal, i am noticing a trend, repackage, bundel and push the dvd all over again, WB seems to be going that route as well, up comming Thin Man 4 film set.

Criterion and its Hitchcock box well i would love to see that if done corectly, but after criterion MGM/Fox released the premier collection that had some of those titles, and am uncertian if they still have those titles to release, the problem is so many good films, and work needed to present them corectly

HaigH

Agent
I agree with the broad consensus that said release is highly unnecessary. It will only create consumer confusion and frustration and detract from the inevitable Blu-Ray releases; releases I am certain many would be glad to pay a premium for.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
This seems like the right time to post this clip here for your enjoyment. 9 glorious minutes of Hitch on The Dick Cavett show from 1970 talking about mcguffins,Hitch and his confusion about a laxative commercial but most fascinating is the training of all those birds.Stuff about Psycho near the end. Hitch while being funny tries very hard to keep a poker face,but always ends up with a tiny mischievious smirk.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks