Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone gone mirrorless?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 of 160 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 13 2011 - 11:47 AM

But don't get us wrong -- the NEX 5 is a damn fine camera, and before the 5n existed the 5 was the best high-ISO camera available. Whether you want the upgrade that the 5n provides depends on whether $300 is a lot of money to you or not. If $300 is a lot of money, then stick with the 5. There are after all schools of thought that say to always buy last year's model, for the savings it brings. And that way if it ever breaks, you can see it as a good thing, a chance to upgrade!
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#42 of 160 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted December 14 2011 - 10:38 AM

If $300 is a lot of money, then stick with the 5.

argh!! You know...Im just going to keep the 5. I wont be able to tell the difference and I am just doing the photography as a casual thing and wanted a portable option as my Canon 5D (not the mark2) is way too heavy when I travel internationally. (ive already way over spent this Christmas.)

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#43 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 15 2011 - 07:27 AM

You'll love it, just wanted to make sure you were informed. Like any big purchase, buy what you think will meet your needs and never look at a review site or sale flyer again.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#44 of 160 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 09:09 PM

That's great. I think there have been some firmware updates for the NEX you might want to try out. Maybe become a regular reader of sonyalpharumors.com too, for fun.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#45 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 07:06 AM

The Nex-7 DPReview review. So bummed that mine has not shipped yet: http://www.dpreview....views/sonynex7/

Conclusion - Pros Three dial interface offers extensive fingertip control Superb build quality Excellent 2.4 million-dot OLED EVF in compact, slimline body 920K dot tilting rear screen Very high-resolution 24MP CMOS sensor with impressive high-ISO performance Exceptionally 'deep' feature set including Auto HDR and Sweep Panorama Seamlessly-integrated movie mode with full manual control Class-leading video resolution Fast and responsive operation Class-leading continuous shooting performance Live View maintained during continuous shooting (at 3.75 fps) Huge degree of control customization available Conclusion - Cons Out-of-camera JPEGs don't show off the 24MP sensor to its best extent Auto ISO limited to maximum of 1600 Top-plate dials indistinguishable by touch (most problematic when using EVF) Mystifying default control setup (e.g. easier to change JPEG sharpness than flash mode) No custom settings memories EVF proximity sensor can keep camera 'awake' and rapidly drain battery Movie button prone to accidental activation Limited autoexposure bracketing options Menu system disorganized and confusing Additional dials poorly-integrated into existing NEX interface (e.g. in playback mode) Somewhat incoherent controls (functions behave differently depending on how they're accessed) Unnecessarily complicated to navigate between stills and movie playback modes No built-in wireless flash control (needs accessory flash) No touchscreen (e.g. for touch focus point selection) Overall conclusion When the NEX-7 was first announced, it looked as though Sony had gathered together a set of enthusiasts' wish lists and built a camera to exceed them all. From the compact 'rangefinder style' body with its built-in electronic viewfinder, through the high resolution sensor offering 24MP stills and Full HD 60p video, to the triple-control-dial interface, it ticked all the right boxes on paper. There's little doubt that the NEX-7 is one of the most exciting cameras of 2011. In the flesh, it lives up to almost all of that initial promise. The EVF is excellent, stills image and video quality both superb, and the handling is remarkably good for such a small camera. The use of three dials to control each of the main exposure parameters makes so much sense that it seems odd no-one's done it quite like this before. The fact that these dials can also be used to change a wide range of other settings, cycled through by pressing a button on the top plate, borders on genius. In fact the NEX-7 is so good in so many respects that any criticism almost feels like nit-picking. It's not perfect, but then again no camera is, and its imperfections can generally be overcome.

#46 of 160 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 19 2011 - 10:41 AM

Popular Photography had reviews on the Sony NEX-7 and Nikon mirrorless cameras in their most recent issue. The Sony sounds like a home run for a dSLR user looking for something smaller. As for the Nikon, I'm not sure what they were thinking. If I was looking for such a camera, I would seriously consider the NEX-7.

#47 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted January 04 2012 - 08:34 AM

I don't think DSLRs are dead dinosaurs but Trey makes some compelling arguments. http://www.stuckincu...are-the-future/ The systems aren't as built out as they need to be to kill off DSLRs but give them time.

#48 of 160 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted January 05 2012 - 07:08 AM

Too bad my wife isn't into photography, or I'd consider getting something like this for her -- I'm shopping for a digicam for her now that we've decided not to go w/ a smartphone for her.

Thinking I'd just go w/ the Fuji F505 for ~$170 from Amazon.  Probably more camera than she'll ever need/use, but there doesn't seem to be any better choices unless she'd much rather have smaller size over quality in this ballpark range (and below).  I will probably end up using it occasionally, especially if the video aspect is any good at all.  OR maybe she will end up swapping w/ my daughter for the old Fuji F20, which actually used to be my wife's camera.

As for myself, can't really see ditching DSLR for this anytime soon and can't really justify owning 2 separate systems either although I would consider it if it becomes good-and-easy enough for me to use as a full-featured quality HD cam, especially if that happens before I eventually upgrade my DSLR body to use that for occasional video shooting as well.  I'm currently still just getting by on an old Canon miniDV cam (the Optura Xi) for the occasional video shoots I do -- mainly for the kids' music recitals -- and whatever else I can get my hands on for quick impromptu videos, which is admittedly rare so far despite having a BB (w/ camera) for 2 years now...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#49 of 160 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 05 2012 - 07:39 AM

I have received my NEX5, with extra 16mm lense, and an underwaterhousing, and I am loving it!! thanks for the recommendations. Question: The flash is a toy. What can I upgrade to? The connection is not a standard hotshoe. Is there an adapter available? TIA. Gregg

#50 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted January 05 2012 - 08:56 AM

Well, you could upgrade to the NEX-7 when those start shipping. It's $1299 and has a real hot shoe. The floods in Taiwan have delayed them over 4 months, mine ordered on day one still hasn't shipped. But on the 5, no, there is no real upgrade available to you. you can order this replacement flash if you lost yours: http://store.sony.co...552921666347923 Or try something crazy like this; http://www.seriousco...h-upgrade-5340/ Which turns a $400 flash into an optical slave. :laugh

#51 of 160 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have received my NEX5, with extra 16mm lense, and an underwaterhousing, and I am loving it!! thanks for the recommendations. Question: The flash is a toy. What can I upgrade to? The connection is not a standard hotshoe. Is there an adapter available? TIA. Gregg

But on the 5, no, there is no real upgrade available to you. you can order this replacement flash if you lost yours: http://store.sony.co...552921666347923

That is indeed an upgrade over the included flash. It includes the ability to bounce the flash, and is several times more powerful. Posted Image Like the Olympus cameras, you're supposed to be able to use these cameras without ever needing the flash. But frankly for parties and such, a flash is handy to have.

#52 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 02:13 AM

Interesting. I barely use my flash but when I do it's been effective enough at moderate ISOs.

#53 of 160 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 10 2012 - 05:54 AM

hi Will I saw that is is the xxx-20 model...about $120 ish I think. A good flash can make a world of difference in dark conditions. the current flash is kind of a joke / toy, but it works very well with close up shots. Totally sucks when trying to take a shot with some depth to it. Also, when using the 18-55 lense, the stock flash hit off the lense hood and cause a shade viginette.

#54 of 160 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 10 2012 - 06:21 AM

btw, the waterproof case is insanely cool. Definitely a must have item!! Ebay has them for about 100-$130.

#55 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 03:18 AM

Fuji has a new lil monster (with a monster price) http://www.luminous-...o1_launch.shtml

#56 of 160 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 02:48 AM

Anyone intrigued by the Canon G1X? http://www.dpreview....views/canong1x/
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#57 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 03:24 AM

Looks good but very expensive for a fixey.

#58 of 160 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 05:55 AM

Well, hoping it streets for around $650-$700 (from it's $800 MSRP). But with just a small flash unit (like a Canon EX430), it'd be a decent traveling camera setup without a lot of baggage.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#59 of 160 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:19 AM

Anyone intrigued by the Canon G1X? http://www.dpreview....views/canong1x/

Interesting. I had not been keeping up with the PowerShot G line. That could be a great backup travel body or portable body for a dSLR user. I owned a PowerShot G3 many years ago, and it was a very good point & shoot for it's time -- manual controls and RAW file support. Add in the larger sensor they are putting in the G1 X, and it's a very intriguing alternative to the mirrorless ILC bodies.

#60 of 160 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,097 posts

Posted February 06 2012 - 08:09 AM

Engadget NEX-7 review: http://www.viddler.com/v/86795f69 http://www.engadget...._medium=twitter Mine still has not shipped. =( At this rate I may get my D4 first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users