Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Honeymooner Lost Episodes 60th Anniversary Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 05:41 AM

Just a note to all Honeymooners fans out there. It looks like MPI is releasing a new boxset on October 4th containing the lost episodes restored (1951-1957).  It will be interesting to see how these episodes look compared to the ones MPI released on dvd years ago. Some of those looked pretty grainy.  UCLA Film and Television archives have been working on restoring the lost episodes for the last 2 years.

Personally, I can't wait to get this.  What a great show this was.

MPI home video has the description and box cover art on their website - click on coming soon.

#2 of 62 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hope we can finally get to see the 1957 Trip to Europe series as well as a number of episode remakes that have never been released.

#3 of 62 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 11:31 AM

Just an update; I see that TVshowsondvd.com   now also has a writeup on this upcoming boxset.

I really hope MPI did a great job on this.  This show definitely deserves it.

#4 of 62 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 02:25 PM

Just a note to all Honeymooners fans out there. It looks like MPI is releasing a new boxset on October 4th containing the lost episodes restored (1951-1957).  It will be interesting to see how these episodes look compared to the ones MPI released on dvd years ago. Some of those looked pretty grainy.  UCLA Film and Television archives have been working on restoring the lost episodes for the last 2 years.

Personally, I can't wait to get this.  What a great show this was.

MPI home video has the description and box cover art on their website - click on coming soon.

#5 of 62 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 02:40 PM

Sorry everyone for the duplicate post above.

John,  its possible you might get your wish.  The info says that there are some episodes in this set that have never been on dvd before.

#6 of 62 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 04:05 PM

Anyone dig up a list of episodes/original dates in the set?

#7 of 62 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 02:28 AM

I wonder if the last B&W episode, which was the last show Audrey Meadows appeared in, before the reunion shows, " The Adaption" will ever be released? This was in the early 60's I believe ,so seems unlikely to be included in this set. A clip of the show was shown during one of the Honeymooners or Jackie Gleason retrospectives. I also think it was remade it color. I would like to see the original. Anyone have info about this episode?

#8 of 62 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 08:02 AM

I wonder if the last B&W episode, which was the last show Audrey Meadows appeared in, before the reunion shows, " The Adaption" will ever be released? This was in the early 60's I believe ,so seems unlikely to be included in this set. A clip of the show was shown during one of the Honeymooners or Jackie Gleason retrospectives. I also think it was remade it color. I would like to see the original. Anyone have info about this episode?

I seem to recall that sketch being repeated on a TV retrospective in the early 1990s -- I want to say it may have been the one hosted by Audrey Meadows in the Kramdens' apartment -- that special is on the "Classic 39" set as an extra but all the "Lost Episodes" clips are removed (I am guessing for licensing reasons). But I'm not certain. Though I believe it did show up somewhere.

#9 of 62 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 10:01 PM

TV LAND aired "The Adoption" around 2000, It was in B&W. The Show didn't Switch to color until the following season.

#10 of 62 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 07:41 AM

Actually, there are two versions of "The Adoption", roughly a decade apart. The first, which aired live on March 26, 1955 has been released on video before and will most likely be on the new DVD set. The second version, which was Audrey Meadows' final CBS appearance as Alice, aired on January 8, 1966 and I believe there were musical numbers included. I have never seen the '66 version, and that's one episode I'd love to see. That, and the original "Trip to Europe" shows from the 1950s have yet to be put out on home video.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#11 of 62 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 07:51 AM

Does anyone know if this will include surviving Dumont footage of Pert Kelton as Alice?

#12 of 62 OFFLINE   davidkk

davidkk

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 09:59 AM

There has been no announcement so far on TVshowsonDVD.com and there is currently no pre-order listing on Amazon, but today a listing for "The Honeymooners Lost Episodes: Complete Restored Series (60th Anniversary Edition)" was added to the MPI website's "Coming Soon" page with a 10/4/11 release date. This is great news to all of us here that have been waiting for this restored set, here's the link: http://www.mpihomevi....p?ProdID=10869 Play Poker | free poker

#13 of 62 OFFLINE   davidkk

davidkk

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 10:00 AM

There has been no announcement so far on TVshowsonDVD.com and there is currently no pre-order listing on Amazon, but today a listing for "The Honeymooners Lost Episodes: Complete Restored Series (60th Anniversary Edition)" was added to the MPI website's "Coming Soon" page with a 10/4/11 release date. This is great news to all of us here that have been waiting for this restored set, here's the link: http://www.mpihomevi....p?ProdID=10869 Play Poker | free poker

#14 of 62 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 03:40 PM

Does anyone know if this will include surviving Dumont footage of Pert Kelton as Alice?

I hope so -- it would appear that way since it says "1951-1957" and it was Pert Kelton from 1951-52. At least I believe this is correct. EDIT: Here's a list from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....ooners_episodes

#15 of 62 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 11:54 AM

Good news- not only will the new set include the surviving Pert Kelton footage, but for the first time anywhere, all eight of the B/W "Trip to Europe" shows! http://tvshowsondvd....ed-Series/15757
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#16 of 62 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 01:29 PM

That is good news! However, the price is bad news for me.

#17 of 62 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 12:55 AM

I hope so -- it would appear that way since it says "1951-1957" and it was Pert Kelton from 1951-52. At least I believe this is correct. EDIT: Here's a list from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....ooners_episodes

I wonder if any of the Sullivan appearances will be in the box?

#18 of 62 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 07:16 AM

Its too bad they couldn't include the few early 1960's sketches with Sue Ane Langdon as Alice and the previously mentioned "The Adaption" from 1966. That would truly be as complete a set of unreleased Honeymooners as possible. I will be getting this set in any case. I also wish that MPI, the Gleason estate, and CBS would get together and release a super set of everything that still exists including the classic 39 in one set. This new release is so close to that.

#19 of 62 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 07:23 AM

I wonder if any of the Sullivan appearances will be in the box?

They would have to lease that material from the company that controls of the Sullivan show, SOFA Entertainment. If SOFA hasn't released this material yet and if it presumably has value, I would think SOFA would release it themselves rather than lease it. Of course there could be problems with the rights to the characters if the Gleason estate owns those rights.

#20 of 62 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 07:56 AM

I only have one set of the last episodes so I'm glad I can buy a complete set of Lost episodes.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex