-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

PHE Press Release: Friday The 13th: The Ultimate Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,237 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 06:56 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

31 YEARS OF THE 13TH

IN ONE KILLER BOX SET

FRIDAY THE 13TH

THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION

Eight Feature Films Plus Hours of Special Features Debut in Limited Edition DVD Set October 4, 2011 with Collectible Hockey Mask

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. – Take a ride down memory lane with everyone’s favorite psychotic killer Jason Voorhees in the to-die-for DVD set FRIDAY THE 13TH THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION arriving just in time for Halloween on October 4, 2011 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  When the originalFriday The 13th debuted in 1980, it captured audiences’ imaginations and permeated our collective psyche.  31 years later, the iconic machete-wielding killer continues to haunt, fascinate and terrify a new generation. This comprehensive set includes every murderous moment from Friday The 13th-Uncut Deluxe Edition, Friday The 13th Part 2 Deluxe Edition, Friday The 13th Part 3-3D Deluxe Edition (with two pairs of 3D glasses), Friday The 13th-The Final Chapter Deluxe Edition, Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning Deluxe Edition, Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives Deluxe Edition, Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood Deluxe Edition and Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan Deluxe Edition.  This extraordinary collection, which will be released in a Limited Edition of only 50,000 numbered units worldwide, includes a replica of Jason’s hockey mask, an 8-page Collector’s Booklet and hours of special features including slashed scenes, making of featurettes, killer commentaries and much, much more.  FRIDAY THE 13TH THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION will be available for the suggested retail price of just $39.99 U.S./$42.00 Canada.

DVDs

The FRIDAY THE 13th-Uncut Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish Mono along with English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Commentary by director Sean S. Cunningham with cast and crew

·         Fresh Cuts: New Tales from Friday the 13th

·         The Man Behind the Legacy: Sean S. Cunningham

·         Friday the 13th Reunion

·         Lost Tales From Camp Blood – Part 1

·         Theatrical Trailer

The FRIDAY THE 13th Part 2 Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish Mono along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Inside “Crystal Lake Memories”

·         Friday’s Legacy: Horror Conventions

·         Lost Tales from Camp Blood – Part 2

·         Jason Forever

The FRIDAY THE 13th Part 3-3D Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish Mono along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Disc contents are as follows:

·         3D Version of the film (includes 3D glasses)

The FRIDAY THE 13th THE FINAL CHAPTER Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish Mono along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Commentary by director Joe Zito, screenwriter Barney Cohen and editor Joel Goodman

·         Fan commentary by Adam Green and Joe Lynch

·         Lost Tales from Camp Blood – Part 4

·         Slashed Scenes

·         Jason’s Unlucky Day: 25 Years After Friday the 13th The Final Chapter

·         The Lost Ending

·         The Crystal Lake Massacres Revisited Part I

·         Jimmy’s Dead Dance Moves

The FRIDAY THE 13th PART V: A NEW BEGINNING Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish Mono along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Commentary by director/co-screenwriter Danny Steinmann with cast and crew

·         Lost Tales from Camp Blood – Part 5

·         The Crystal Lake Massacres Revisited Part II

·         New Beginnings: The Making of Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

The FRIDAY THE 13th PART VI: JASON LIVES Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround and French and Spanish Mono along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Commentary by director Tom McLoughlin with cast and crew

·         Lost Tales from Camp Blood – Part 6

·         The Crystal Lake Massacres Revisited Part III

·         Jason Lives: The Making of Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

·         Meeting Mr. Voorhees

·         Slashed Scenes

The FRIDAY THE 13th PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround, French Mono and Spanish Mono along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Killer Commentary by director John Carl Buechler and actors Lar Park Lincoln and Kane Hodder

·         Jason’s Destroyer: The Making of Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

·         Mind Over Matter: The Truth About Telekinesis

·         Makeover by Maddy: Need a Little Touch-Up Work, My Ass

·         Slashed Scenes Intro

·         Slashed Scenes

The FRIDAY THE 13th PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN Deluxe Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround along with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Bonus material includes:

·         Killer Commentary by actors Scott Reeves, Jensen Daggett and Kane Hodder

·         New York Has a New Problem: The Making of Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

·         Gag Reel

·         Slashed Scenes

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

Friday the 13th The Ultimate Collection

Street date:                          October 4, 2011

S.R.P.                                     $39.99 U.S./$42.00 Canada

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,684 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 07:28 AM

Is there any new material here, or is this simply a compilation of the prior SE releases they've been doing over the last couple of years?

#3 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,638 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 27 2011 - 08:27 AM

Is there any new material here, or is this simply a compilation of the prior SE releases they've been doing over the last couple of years?

It's a compilation. In terms of special features, I think these discs are as good as F13 is ever going to get. And when you consider that you'll be getting 8 movies for $30 or $25, I think it's easily worth it.

#4 of 21 dlbsyst

dlbsyst

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 08:39 AM

The price is good but I don't want to buy these movies again on DVD since I have done so many times in the past. Give them to me on Blu-ray or no sale.

#5 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,638 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 08:43 AM

The price is good but I don't want to buy these movies again on DVD since I have done so many times in the past. Give them to me on Blu-ray or no sale.

I was in the same boat up until about a month ago when I gave up waiting for the Blu-rays and picked up parts 4 to 8 between $4 and $6 each.

#6 of 21 dlbsyst

dlbsyst

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 08:48 AM

Yea, I noticed Amazon has them for pretty cheap.;)

#7 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 27 2011 - 10:13 AM

I'd prefer this on Blu. I might bite on this just to get the uncut ones since I bought that first set and never upgraded. I'm not losing sleep wanting to watch the series again, so maybe the blurays will come out before I buy this ha ha.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#8 of 21 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 10:25 AM

Are they kidding with this?? Where are the rest of the BLU-RAYS already?? Like Travis, I was waiting for Blu-rays of 4-8 forever, but I eventually caved in and boughts 4,5,6,7, and 8 for only $5.00 each on regular DVD at BIG LOTS about a year a ago. I bought them just to get the EXTRA FEATURES. FRIDAY THE 13TH has a big audience -- can anyone figure out why they're not releasing 4-8 on Blu-ray instead of re-issuing these things over and over on standard DVD?

#9 of 21 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 28 2011 - 05:19 AM

Your guess is as good as mine. This is the equivalent of releasing a fancy boxset on VHS seven years after DVDs are introduced. Very strange.

#10 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,638 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 05:21 AM

As much as I don't like it, the answer as to why there's no Blu-ray set is obvious- the first three Blu-rays didn't sell as well as they wanted. If they had, the other 5 would be available.

#11 of 21 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 28 2011 - 05:41 AM

As much as I don't like it, the answer as to why there's no Blu-ray set is obvious- the first three Blu-rays didn't sell as well as they wanted. If they had, the other 5 would be available.

I don't buy that (no pun intended). The Friday the 13th series is definitely a top moneymaker for the studio, as evidenced by the endless sequels and subsequent endless home video releases. This is just as baffling as their decision to stop releasing Family Ties two seasons short. Maybe they're holding out for a tie-in to the next installment, who knows.

#12 of 21 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 01:44 AM

I don't buy that either. It's silly. People love to say "Because it didn't sell!!" at the drop of a hat., for everything. It's a pointless catchphrase that's always used when there's nothing else to say. We heard the reason that ISLAND OF LOST SOULS hadn't ever come out on DVD was because "the old VHS tape did not sell" ... and yet here we are, getting IOLS.. on Criterion... and not only DVD, but BLU-RAY, no less! ALL IN THE FAMILY was halted on Sony DVD "because it didn't sell well" --- and then, whaddaya know, SHOUT steps in and releases seasons 7,8, and 9 like wildfire! So people who already have all these FRIDAY THE 13TH movies on regular DVDs are going to re-re-re-buy them all again on this new ULTIMATE COLLECTION? When the same people always saying what "doesn't sell" are the first to claim that DVD itself is dead?? How in the world can re-re-re-re-leasing the F13 movies on DVD again be a "good moneymaking proposition"? I'm sure we'll get all the Blu-rays at some point. There is a reason they're holding off, but it can't be because DVDs are "selling better the fourth time around", or because "nobody wants the Blu-rays, the first 3 didn't sell"

#13 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,638 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 03:56 AM

I don't buy that either. It's silly. People love to say "Because it didn't sell!!" at the drop of a hat., for everything. It's a pointless catchphrase that's always used when there's nothing else to say.

Common sense is a meaningless catchphrase? If you don't think that sales determine future releases then you're essentially saying that a corporation (which I think we can all agree wants to make as much money as it possibly can) is deliberately holding back a product that can make them money. What possible reason do they have for not wanting to make money? I'm not saying that Paramount's sales expectations for the first 3 blu-rays were reasonable but if they had been met, the rest would have come out. I don't like that the rest of the movies aren't on Blu-ray but it's just simple logic that sales are a big part of if there are or aren't future releases.

#14 of 21 rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted July 29 2011 - 05:57 AM

It would be nice to get these on Blu-ray.  They could do this set as a limited edition on Blu-ray and they wouldn't have to make that many, and if the run sells out then maybe do a second pressing.  I'll probably get this even though I do have the Blu-rays of 1-3, because I have the old Crystal to Manhattan set with 2 movies per disc and I wouldn't mind getting a bump in quality since I'm not sure if Blu-rays are in the future.  Plus I've got a huge Friday weakness.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#15 of 21 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 06:40 AM

How in the world can re-re-re-re-leasing the F13 movies on DVD again be a "good moneymaking proposition"?"

It gets them shelf space and notice that they wouldn't otherwise get and it probably doesn't cost much of anything. It may also be that the existing transfers aren't up to snuff for a blu-ray release and Paramount estimates that potential sales won't provide enough of a profit to justify making new ones.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#16 of 21 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 07:04 AM

Common sense is a meaningless catchphrase? If you don't think that sales determine future releases then you're essentially saying that a corporation (which I think we can all agree wants to make as much money as it possibly can) is deliberately holding back a product that can make them money. What possible reason do they have for not wanting to make money? I'm not saying that Paramount's sales expectations for the first 3 blu-rays were reasonable but if they had been met, the rest would have come out. I don't like that the rest of the movies aren't on Blu-ray but it's just simple logic that sales are a big part of if there are or aren't future releases.

But you're just making an assumption as though it's a fact ("Oh, since they didn't release the other Blu-rays yet, the first three definitely did not sell well enough"). You don't know that, and neither do I... but it's the first "moral" that always comes up any time something is not released! Did you not read the examples I provided with ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and ALL IN THE FAMILY? Everyone was so positive they'd never get released too, weren't they? I'll bet you the remaining Blu-rays are issued in 2012 or 2013. "What reason do they have for holding back?" -- I don't know, but obviously THEY do. That's also a marketing strategy too at times, you know.

#17 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,638 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 07:59 AM

But you're just making an assumption as though it's a fact ("Oh, since they didn't release the other Blu-rays yet, the first three definitely did not sell well enough"). You don't know that, and neither do I... but it's the first "moral" that always comes up any time something is not released! Did you not read the examples I provided with ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and ALL IN THE FAMILY? Everyone was so positive they'd never get released too, weren't they? I'll bet you the remaining Blu-rays are issued in 2012 or 2013. "What reason do they have for holding back?" -- I don't know, but obviously THEY do. That's also a marketing strategy too at times, you know.

I am making an assumption but it's a logical one to make. If the first three had sold well, Paramount wouldn't have let the video release of the remake and the last two (and now three) Octobers go by without releasing the other sequels on Blu-rays. That being said, I do think that they will see the light of day at some point but Paramount's expectation of sales is the only logical reason for it being nearly 2 and a half years since there was a F13 Blu-ray. I read your examples of All In The Family and Island Of Lost Souls but neither prove your point at all. Both were licensed out from mega corporations (Sony and Universal) to much smaller companies (Shout and Criterion) who have much smaller sales expectations. The studios 'unloaded' them on to independents since they weren't doing enough for them to really care about their release.

#18 of 21 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 09:06 AM

Travis -- the hilarious part is when you point out how ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and ALL IN THE FAMILY got licensed out to smaller companies. It's true, of course, but what's funny to me is how these HUGE, MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR corporations are supposedly worried about "losing money", yet there's no problem at all for smaller mom and pop outfits to get them right out! It's always humorous to me how the big moguls think they'll go broke or something for taking a little hit. Let me put it another way... I didn't get a computer until the year 2000. Once I got online, all I ever heard was "This won't sell!", "That does not sell!", "That was put out before but did not sell!" (or whatever other variation you want to toss in there). AND YET --- here we are, some 11 years later, and practically EVERYTHING they were saying "won't be out because it won't sell" ---- has come out! >>>>Both were licensed out from mega corporations (Sony and Universal) to much smaller companies (Shout and Criterion) who have much smaller sales expectations. The studios 'unloaded' them on to independents since they weren't doing enough for them to really care about their release<<<< Well, that proves what I've always said -- it's not that these things "don't sell".. it's that these billionaires only are satisfied with the Big Bucks! It's like the old joke where the Three Stooges are counting the millions of dollars they've found, and as they're counting they come across a $50 dollar bill and say "How did that get in here?", and they throw it away! It's greed.

#19 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,638 posts

Posted July 29 2011 - 10:26 AM

Travis -- the hilarious part is when you point out how ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and ALL IN THE FAMILY got licensed out to smaller companies. It's true, of course, but what's funny to me is how these HUGE, MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR corporations are supposedly worried about "losing money", yet there's no problem at all for smaller mom and pop outfits to get them right out! It's always humorous to me how the big moguls think they'll go broke or something for taking a little hit.

That's why I should always try to refer to it as "not meeting the company's sales expectations" rather than "poor sales". I'm sure any independent label would be ecstatic to get a title as popular as Friday The 13th but it's apparently not even worth the time of Paramount right now.

#20 of 21 Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 29 2011 - 01:54 PM

I noticed that Part III, like the previously released DVD, doesn't contain the extras that were present on the BD.

So, in this so-called 'Ultimate Collection', buyers will be missing, for example, Lost Tales from Camp Blood III. Doesn't sound very 'ultimate' to me...