Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
362 replies to this topic

#41 of 363 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 19 2011 - 11:44 AM

We will know more about the Lions in the next three weeks. Next week they travel to Minnesota (where they have not won since 1997), then to Dallas, and finally a home Monday Night game against the Bears. While Detroit has played very well the first two weeks, I am still tempering my expectations until then. They beat a decent Tampa team on the road, but Kansas City is awful. They are favored in Minnesota for the first time I can ever remember (although I'm sure it's happened once or twice). Buffalo has been a surprise, but a bigger one is Washington, IMO. I figured the 'Skins would win the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes, but instead they are 2-0. Right now the early leaders in the race for Andrew Luck seem to be KC and Seattle. Indy could be a dark horse in the race if Peyton misses the entire season. The thing that hurts all three teams chances are that each play in a division with at least two other bad teams, giving them a chance to win some divisional games against weak foes. So, if you are looking for a bad team stuck in a division with three good teams, then Miami may be the Luck winner -- assuming the Bills are for real.

#42 of 363 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted September 19 2011 - 12:35 PM

I don't think my Seahawks can find a football little lone win a game. I hate to say it I'm not sure the Seahawks are smart enough to draft Luck we would take another O-Line because it has worked out so far... ;)

I'm pretty impressed with Buffalo and Detroit! Time will tell but I think it should be interesting over the next few weeks. My other thing is can Cam get over the hump and win a game.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#43 of 363 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 25 2011 - 11:38 AM

Both the Lions and Bills erase 20 or more point deficits! Buffalo's is probably more impressive, coming against the Pats. Meanwhile, no deficit is safe against the Vikings. :laugh:

#44 of 363 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted September 25 2011 - 11:46 AM

After this week the Raiders losing to the Bills doesn’t look all the bad. Break up the Bills!

#45 of 363 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 10:32 AM

Both the Lions and Bills erase 20 or more point deficits! Buffalo's is probably more impressive, coming against the Pats. Meanwhile, no deficit is safe against the Vikings. :laugh:

I thought about you when watching the Lions beat the Cowboys, Scott. :)

#46 of 363 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 03:30 PM

Wow, the Lions are 4-0. That's hard to believe, but I'm coming around to thinking they are the real deal. There is still a long way to go though.

#47 of 363 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted October 02 2011 - 04:47 PM

Well the Seahawks almost won their second game but they fell short. It is going to be a very long season...

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#48 of 363 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 02 2011 - 11:55 PM

Wow, the Lions are 4-0. That's hard to believe, but I'm coming around to thinking they are the real deal. There is still a long way to go though.

Yes, there is still a long way to go. I've been watching the Lions since 1970, so I am very gun-shy about getting overly excited. However, the comebacks these past two weeks have been amazing to watch. Tony Romo certainly helped with his 2nd half meltdown, but I have to give Detroit credit for not giving up, even though they were getting destroyed in the first half. The Bears come to Detroit this week for the first Lions home MNF game in over a decade. Tickets are going for an outrageous amount of money for an early season game. It should be quite an event. Hopefully the Lions of the past half-century do not resurface anytime soon.

#49 of 363 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,420 posts

Posted October 03 2011 - 12:47 AM

"Hopefully the Lions of the past half-century do not resurface anytime soon." Scott, the "Curse of Bobby Layne" is over. Believe it. ;) Some sports writers are starting to believe that the Lions and Packers may both be undefeated when they match up on Thanksgiving Day. :)

#50 of 363 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 03 2011 - 03:40 AM

Some sports writers are starting to believe that the Lions and Packers may both be undefeated when they match up on Thanksgiving Day. :)

Sports writers are known to drink a lot. :laugh: The Packers look very impressive, but the Lions still have some issues. Their offensive line struggles at times, as does the secondary. I doubt they will remain unbeaten through this upcoming three game home stand against Chicago, San Fran and Atlanta. Still, if they could somehow win 2 of 3, they would be 6-1 and in solid contention for a playoff spot. It's been a long time since a Lions fans has seen that! In any case, at least they shouldn't give the nation indigestion on Thanksgiving for once. :)

#51 of 363 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 03 2011 - 04:25 AM

The Pack just looks like they are playing a different game then everyone else. They are the team to beat. Tonight will be interesting; Indy is in the race for Andrew Luck; Tampa Bay is trying to be a time on the rise, and their loss to Detroit looks better now. But I don't know who.. except for injuries.. stops the pack right now

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#52 of 363 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted October 03 2011 - 04:59 AM

I really thought the Falcons were going to lose after their defense couldn't deal with the Seahawks no-huddle offense in the second half, and the Falcon offense went flat in the second half as well. Not all that optimistic about the Falcons play-off chances this season, got to find some defense...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#53 of 363 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 03 2011 - 06:34 AM

The Pack just looks like they are playing a different game then everyone else. They are the team to beat. Tonight will be interesting; Indy is in the race for Andrew Luck; Tampa Bay is trying to be a time on the rise, and their loss to Detroit looks better now. But I don't know who.. except for injuries.. stops the pack right now

While no team is a lock (who would have thought the 16-0 Patriots would lose the the Giants?), the Pack do look unstoppable right now. Rodgers can be put in that elite QB tier with Brady, Peyton and Brees. The receiving weapons he has are impressive, and the defense is solid and opportunistic. Green Bay stands an excellent chance of beating the odds and repeating as champs. I think the only team in the NFC that can get in their way is New Orleans. The Lions are not ready yet, Mike Martz will get Cutler killed in Chicago, and the NFC East looks like a bunch of overrated teams right now. In the AFC, I think it's either Baltimore or New England. The biggest worry with the Pats is their defense, while with the Ravens it's whether Flacco is good enough to get them to the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh's offensive line is terrible and getting Big Ben killed, while Houston seems to struggle putting teams away -- they just do not seem to know how to win. San Diego is a dark horse, but it's hard to imagine Norv Turner coaching a team to the SB.

#54 of 363 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted October 03 2011 - 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

the NFC East looks like a bunch of overrated teams right now.

Especially the Eagles, which was proved more of the case, with the way they lost to the mediocre 49ers. And this was suppose to be their soft portion of the schedule.

It's not surprising that the Lions have a zero in their win-loss record. What is surprising, is that which one of win-loss has the zero. Posted Image

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#55 of 363 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Screenwriter

• 1,894 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted October 04 2011 - 03:39 AM

Remember, last year the Packers started 3-3.  It's way too early to count anyone out (or in.)

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#56 of 363 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,679 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 04 2011 - 05:07 AM

Remember, last year the Packers started 3-3.  It's way too early to count anyone out (or in.)

I think I'll take a chance and count the Colts and Dolphins "out". :)
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#57 of 363 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 04 2011 - 06:06 AM

I think I'll take a chance and count the Colts and Dolphins "out". :)

Add the Vikings to that list.

#58 of 363 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,394 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 04 2011 - 06:24 AM

My chargers are 3-1, so they've broken the cycle of slow starts, right? I don't think so. Every one of the wins has been a struggle, they've not dominated or convincingly beat anyone. All their wins came agains teams who have, after 4 games, combined for 1 win. That 1 win came when 2 of the 3 played each other. If you can't look good against these opponents, you are not looking good at all. They've played one quality team (the Pats) and they lost by 2 TDs. The chargers have a chance at going 4-1 when they play Denver in Denver this coming week. Unfortunately, the chargers like to play down to the level of their opponent and that can get you burned on the road. All 3 of the chargers victories were at home. In the coming weeks road games include the Jets, Bears, Jaguars, Lions and the Raiders. Everyone will be tough. Never thought I'd be saying that about the Lions. I just did my own count, and I figure the chargers have 8 remaining games against "quality" teams. They're going to be tested real good. Even with the 3-1 start, even with being in a week conference (not so weak anymore with the resurgent Raiders) making the playoffs is no cinch.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#59 of 363 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 06:31 AM

Please stop with the nervous Nelly crap. While the Chargers are hardly a threat to win the Super Bowl they will make the playoffs because they are better than the other teams in the West. The Raiders are probably going to be 8-8 and you can already add Denver and K.C. to the done list. Those last 2 teams are just awful.

#60 of 363 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,394 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 04 2011 - 02:15 PM

Please stop with the nervous Nelly crap. While the Chargers are hardly a threat to win the Super Bowl they will make the playoffs because they are better than the other teams in the West. The Raiders are probably going to be 8-8 and you can already add Denver and K.C. to the done list. Those last 2 teams are just awful.

I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to post my opinions in this thread. Can you provide a list of names of those allowed to post?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend