What's new

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With the labor dispute settled, players reporting to training camp, free agents being signed, and the pre-season games starting in two weeks, I thought it was a good time to start a new thread. After the quietest offseason in memory, it's nice to be able to discuss football again!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^ Yes it is good to discuss NFL football again. Especially when it concerns the playoff-bound Detroit Lions. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There's been lots of player movement already, even though free agents cannot officially be signed until Friday. Verbal agreements and player cuts include: 1. Matt Hassleback signing with Tennessee 2. Tavarias Jackson signing with Seattle 3. Donovan McNabb traded to Minnesota 4. Baltimore to cut MacGahee, Mason and Heap 5. Dallas to cut Barber, Roy Williams and Leonard Davis There are rumors that Seattle may also sign Matt Leinhart. The Seahens may have the worst collection of QB's in the league -- competing with Washington, Carolina and Arizona. Rumors are that either Kolb or Orton will be traded to the Cardinals, though. The Lions free agent focus will hopefully be at linebacker and cornerback. These are by far their weakest starting groups. They also need some depth on the offensive line.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sidney Rice signs with Seattle. Interesting move, spending big money on a WR when you have nobody to throw him the ball. Maybe the Seahawks are planning on winning the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes this season. :) Albert Haynesworth is traded to New England for a fifth round draft pick in 2013. Washington was just trying to get him off the roster, as they did with McNabb.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm reminded of the season the Pats signed Rodney Harrison and Rosie Colvin over the course of a day or two. Big exciting deals for Pats fans. Of course, Colvin got hurt a few games into that season but Harrison worked out.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I hope both Haynesworth and Ochocinco work out for New England. These guys have got to think that they at least have a better-than-average chance of acquiring a ring with the Patriots.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I love the hate towards the Seahawks this board seems to have...

I as a Seahawk fan I do not yet understand our QB plan... We are making moves on offense but not this position, these clipboard QB's drive me crazy.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
dmiller68 said:

I as a Seahawk fan I do not yet understand our QB plan... We are making moves on offense but not this position, these clipboard QB's drive me crazy.
No hate involved -- just giving my opinion regarding their QB situation, which you seem to agree with. Seattle is just another team to me. My personal dislike is reserved for Dallas and Oakland.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Scott Merryfield said:
dmiller68 said:

No hate involved -- just giving my opinion regarding their QB situation, which you seem to agree with. Seattle is just another team to me. My personal dislike is reserved for Dallas and Oakland.
We agree on Dallas I dislike them as well but I still call them by their name. :) Anyway I'm shocked if we where going to dis Matt that we didn't have a plan to get one in the draft or one of the top 3 available.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
dmiller68 said:
We agree on Dallas I dislike them as well but I still call them by their name. :) Anyway I'm shocked if we where going to dis Matt that we didn't have a plan to get one in the draft or one of the top 3 available.
I've been known to refer to Dallas as the Cowgirls and Minnesota as the ViQueens, so don't take it personally. :) I usually reserve much more foul labels for our Lions. :laugh: The Bears have traded TE Greg Olsen to Carolina. Since Mike Martz has no clue on how to use a pass catching tight end, I guess the Bears at least got something for a decent receiver.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
New Orleans grabbing Sproles is a great pickup for them. He's a hard runner with breakout speed potential, good receiving arms, and an incredible upgrade in the running game. Yes, he's small and he'll never be an every down back. But used in doses, he's worth it.

And he definitely fits their game better then Reggie Bush.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Philly has made some nice moves. They get the big free agent prize -- CB Nnamdi Asomugha -- and also add Vince Young as a backup QB. Throw in CB Rogers-Cromartie from the trade with the Cards for QB Kolb, and the Eagles look like the favorites in the NFC East.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I think the Seahawks have an interesting mix. I think we are going to regret not having the right QB. I'm pretty happy with the WR and TE pickups and we signed the key defensive players.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Seattle's biggest advantage is playing in that horrible division. They added enough talent at positions other than QB to compete for the division title with St. Louis. Arizona seems headed in the wrong direction, and the 49ers are a mess. I guess it's time for my 2011 predictions. With the lack of an offseason, young teams and those with new coaching staffs will be at a big disadvantage this year, so that is taken into account with my picks. NFC North 1. Packers -- still the best in the division 2. Bears -- could finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th 3. Lions -- still one more good offseason away 4. Vikings -- headed in the wrong direction NFC East 1. Eagles -- going for broke with all the acquisitions 2. Giants -- may not be as strong this year 3. Cowboys -- new coach, but roster not getting better 4. Redskins -- a disaster NFC South 1. Saints -- tough to pick the top 3 in this division 2. Falcons 3. Bucs 4. Panthers -- better than last year, but play in tough division NFC West 1. Rams -- going against my theory of young teams being at a disadvantage 2. Seahawks -- 2nd place by default 3. Cardinals -- keep losing players from Super Bowl team. Unproven QB. 4. 49ers -- Poor Jim Harbaugh Wildcard: Falcons, Bucs AFC North 1. Steelers -- have questions on OL 2. Ravens -- purged numerous veterans 3. Browns -- 3rd by default 4. Bengals -- another disaster AFC East 1. Patriots -- added enough to stay ahead of NY 2. Jets -- still a bridesmaid 3. Bills -- 3rd by default 4. Dolphins -- yet another disaster in the making AFC South 1. Texans -- the Colts have to not win the division eventually 2. Colts -- team getting older 3. Jags -- 3rd by default 4. Titans -- going in the wrong direction AFC West 1. Chiefs -- best of a weak division 2. Broncos -- will finish lower if Tebow plays QB 3. Chargers -- will they finally fire Norv Turner? 4. Raiders -- new coach, same team Wildcard: Jets, Colts Super Bowl: Eagles over Patriots #1 draft pick: Redskins, beating out Cincinnati and Miami

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Philly has made some nice moves. They get the big free agent prize -- CB Nnamdi Asomugha -- and also add Vince Young as a backup QB. Throw in CB Rogers-Cromartie from the trade with the Cards for QB Kolb, and the Eagles look like the favorites in the NFC East.

I think it should definitely translate to a division title for them, but how far in the playoffs, I'll just have to wait and see. Andy Reid's playcalling and time management tends to hold the team back.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter C said:
I think it should definitely translate to a division title for them, but how far in the playoffs, I'll just have to wait and see. Andy Reid's playcalling and time management tends to hold the team back.
Yes, Andy Reid's clock management skills have always been entertaining to watch. I think the Super Bowl is wide open this year, and struggled with who to pick in each conference. Every team has some flaws. Another concern for Philly is whether Michael Vick can (1) repeat last year's performance, and (2) stay healthy. I picked the Eagles basically because I think the NFC is a little easier to predict this year than the AFC. The Steelers, Ravens and Colts could win their divisions, or not even make the playoffs. I think, barring injuries to critical players, the Eagles, Packers and Patriots are all very good bets to make the playoffs.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
AFC West 1. Chiefs -- best of a weak division 2. Broncos -- will finish lower if Tebow plays QB 3. Chargers -- will they finally fire Norv Turner? 4. Raiders -- new coach, same team
:laugh: at the Broncos finishing 2nd. They'll finish last in the West regardless of who plays QB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
:laugh: at the Broncos finishing 2nd. They'll finish last in the West regardless of who plays QB.
My pick is more an indictment of San Diego slipping than the Broncos being good. This is the 2nd weakest division in the league -- behind the NFC West -- so it will not take much to finish 2nd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks