11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 RolandL

RolandL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 27 2011 - 12:36 AM

The Student Prince was released today - http://shop.tcm.com/...276&directHit=1 but I don't see any reviews.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#2 of 12 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 08:35 AM

I just ordered my c opy this morning and should have it in a few days. Will check back in.

#3 of 12 RolandL

RolandL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 03 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hi Joe, Have you received your copy yet?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#4 of 12 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted August 04 2011 - 03:37 AM

I ordered this from Movies Unlimited. They sold out of this title immediately. Its on perpetual backprder from warner Archive, who, on a daily basis, faisl to send more copies to MU.

#5 of 12 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 04 2011 - 05:38 AM

I received my copy but have only spot-checked it. It's a very nice anamorphic transfer with stereophonic sound. The color is on a par with other Ansco-colored titles from this time and looks quite nice if not as vibrant as Technicolor. Being an archive title, there's no extensive digital cleanup that I could see, just a fresh remastering from the best available existing material. I don't know the exact details on the sound, but it sounds full and rich. The only extra is a typically unrestored trailer which plays up the singing voice of Mario Lanza. Not sure what else I can add. For the price I paid, I wish they could have added an isolated score, but for a bare-bones release, it's as good as you could expect from the Warner Archive. Of course, if they had paired it with the Norma Shearer/Ramon Novarro version, I would have paid even more. But I still have my laserdisc double-feature and it's nice to have an anamorphic upgrade on the CinemaScope version.

#6 of 12 Art_AD

Art_AD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted August 04 2011 - 08:47 AM

Agreed .........I too would have like the Shearer / Novarro verion to be included. I had hoped like the two previous MacDonald / Eddy exclusive releases there would be an audio outtake section that they could have included the Jane Powell / Vic Damon pre recording test they did when Mario Lanza was dropped from the film (before it was decided they would recast and use his recorded voice). That is why I am hesitant to pre order the next two exclusives from Movies Unlimited (until I know more of the extras) for some reason I assumed all their exclusive releases would all have extras.

#7 of 12 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 04 2011 - 11:18 PM

Both STUDENT PRINCES were available on the original laserdisc.
Charles Hoyt

#8 of 12 RolandL

RolandL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 06 2011 - 11:21 PM

I received my copy but have only spot-checked it. It's a very nice anamorphic transfer with stereophonic sound. The color is on a par with other Ansco-colored titles from this time and looks quite nice if not as vibrant as Technicolor. Being an archive title, there's no extensive digital cleanup that I could see, just a fresh remastering from the best available existing material. I don't know the exact details on the sound, but it sounds full and rich. The only extra is a typically unrestored trailer which plays up the singing voice of Mario Lanza. Not sure what else I can add. For the price I paid, I wish they could have added an isolated score, but for a bare-bones release, it's as good as you could expect from the Warner Archive. Of course, if they had paired it with the Norma Shearer/Ramon Novarro version, I would have paid even more. But I still have my laserdisc double-feature and it's nice to have an anamorphic upgrade on the CinemaScope version.

Does the dialog stay in the center channel or is it directional (follows the actor on the screen)?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#9 of 12 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 07 2011 - 03:35 AM

It's directional.

#10 of 12 Vern Dias

Vern Dias

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted August 07 2011 - 07:05 AM

I have watched this a couple of times now.  I also have the LD, and there is no question that the DVD is well worth the investment.

While there has been no digital cleanup, the transfer is excellent with accurate grain and good detail.  The AR is 2.55:1, which is correct for early CinemaScope mag prints.  There is some color instability in a few scenes, but it's not too bad.

The audio is Dolby Digital 2.0 with directional dialogue and I believe it's from the same master as the LD.

Now, let's see some more early Scope musicals, WB please....

Vern

#11 of 12 M90GM

M90GM

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 07:14 PM

I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS FILM - HAD EXPECTED A FULL RELEASE YEARS AGO AS PART OF A BOXED MGM MUSICALS PACKAGE. THIS RELEASE IS FAIRLY GOOD, WE HAVE THE ORIGINAL 2.55 RATIO, STEREO (THOUGH NOT 5.1) ALTHOUGH SOME OF THE SONGS SEEM TO BE MONO. A WARNER ARCHIVE RELEASE ORIGINALLY RELEASED EXCLUSIVELY TO MOVIES UNLIMITED, BUT FINALLY AVAILABLE THROUGH WARNER ARCHIVE. IT IS A SPECIAL FILM. ONE OF THE BEST CINEMASCOPE MUSICALS.

#12 of 12 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 05:11 AM

I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS FILM - HAD EXPECTED A FULL RELEASE YEARS AGO AS PART OF A BOXED MGM MUSICALS PACKAGE. THIS RELEASE IS FAIRLY GOOD, WE HAVE THE ORIGINAL 2.55 RATIO, STEREO (THOUGH NOT 5.1) ALTHOUGH SOME OF THE SONGS SEEM TO BE MONO. A WARNER ARCHIVE RELEASE ORIGINALLY RELEASED EXCLUSIVELY TO MOVIES UNLIMITED, BUT FINALLY AVAILABLE THROUGH WARNER ARCHIVE. IT IS A SPECIAL FILM. ONE OF THE BEST CINEMASCOPE MUSICALS.

Sounds pretty good, but when it comes to the musicals I really wish they'd turn their attentions towards bluray from this point on--or at least offer these films in both formats on the same release days. I've always enjoyed TSP; before his death last year, I was acquainted with actor Charles Davis who played Hubert in the film. He appeared in dozens of films, but he seemed especially fond of this particular movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users