What's new

Win a copy of Dexter S5 on Blu-ray: Upcoming Q&A with Emmy nominated sound mixers Kevin Roache and P (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
imgrepo
HTF is will have the opportunity to talk with Kevin Roache and Pete Elias both Emmy nominated sound mixers.

Kevin has worked on multiple shows including Dexter (Emmy nominated), Eastbound & Down, True Blood, Ugly Betty, Monk, Fairly Legal, and many more.

Pete has worked on multiple shows including True Blood, In Plain Sight, The Killing, Fairly Legal, Dexter, Grey's Anatomy, Party Down, Kyle XY and many more.

Do you have any questions about sound design or mixing for TV and the eventual DVD and Blu-ray releases? Post them here and we will try to get them answered!

Submitting a question is your chance to win a copy of Dexter season 5 on Blu-ray. We will be choosing one member who asked a question at random to win, Good Luck!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I know almost nothing about the technical challenges of sound design, so please forgive the probably naive question, but here goes. Is it generally more difficult to do sound design for busy interior or busy exterior scenes (and why)? Thanks. PS--Dexter is one of my two favourite shows on television at the moment and ranks in the top ten of all time for me (and I've been watching TV since 1973 with some degree of seeking "what I like"). Kudos for your work on an excellent series.

Ally

Agent
Real Name
Ally
how do you know while filming, exactly which sounds you want in a movie and which sounds you don't? I have seen many of the shows you have participated in and some are my favorites including Dexter and Greys Anatomy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
When creating your own sound effects, specifically the sound of blood squirting, what is the best method used to create the sound of blood squirting. :D

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
When listening to final (or near final) mixes, do you only listen to them on the studio system (I assume a calibrated and flat response system), or do you also listen to them on a few different outside sources as well (actual TVs, other systems)?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
When I shot my first short film, on location in a forest, I made an effort to record sounds for footsteps. When mixed back in, however, they sounded like someone eating popcorn - well, anything but footsteps! Are there times when you have to resort to a "fake" sound effect because it sounds more authentic than the real thing? (Or was it just my cheap audio equipment?!) :D

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My son has always been interested in sound/audio (Film/TV/Music+) and will be graduating HS soon. With all the options from standard 4 year Liberal Arts colleges to Do it Yourself backyard to the For Profit schools (Full Sail and the like) to old school Apprenticeship, is there any advice you would give to the up and coming. Among the standard 4 year schools are their 3/4/5 which stand out in the education/training of the young crop of Sound/Audio professionals and is there really any long term advantage to East Coast vs West Coast education these days within the field.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
(Not in it for the prize)

Shows like Dexter now come with a 5.1 sound mix. But a great deal of your viewing audience will be watching on a flat TV in stereo. Some will watch via the Showtime Apps on iPad and so on. A movie can focus on knowing almost all theaters will be surround. What challenges are present when you know your audience will be listening in very different environments.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
mattCR said:
(Not in it for the prize)

Shows like Dexter now come with a 5.1 sound mix. But a great deal of your viewing audience will be watching on a flat TV in stereo. Some will watch via the Showtime Apps on iPad and so on. A movie can focus on knowing almost all theaters will be surround. What challenges are present when you know your audience will be listening in very different environments.
Your question is kind of related to my question. Do you mix for perfection (5.1, flat response, on a perfect system), and let the equipment it's played on sort it out (downmix to stereo/mono), or mix for a type of compatibility?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Feel free to keep submitting questions, but Ally (Mike) is our first winner according to the random number generator. Once the interview posts there will be some additional chances to win. Mike- can you please PM me your address?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Question: For a show like Dexter, do you revisit the mix for the disc release, or just create a single mix for the broadcast and then that gets ported to the disc? Also, have the powers-that-be at Showtime discovered yet that most HT systems cannot reproduce closed captions from DVDs and they're the only company (as far as I can tell) that still, at least as of Dexter S4, doesn't bother to put actual English subtitles on their disc releases? (Not that I expect these guys to know. . .I just have the urge to mention that whenever possible.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks