Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

More Confused (Long)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   no respect

no respect

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted July 25 2011 - 12:47 PM

In my research i've learned that my HTR may be too small to have rear surround speakers. When the back row leans back in thier seats they will be nearly touching the back wall. So I thought I'll install bipoles closer to the center of the room. I've deceided to go with PSB's for my front and rear speakers, now bipole speakers. Reading PSB's overview it says they are great speakers when you place them BEHIND your center of listening. Now I don't know what do to. Any help always appreciated.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,391 posts

Posted July 25 2011 - 11:13 PM

If you are already running a 5.1 system, then I have to ask why bother with the 7.1 rear surrounds? It doesn't sound like it's worth the effort in your environment, especially considering most movies are 5.1 anyway. On the other hand, if these speakers are meant to be the 5.1 surrounds, be aware that they are supposed to be placed on the sides, slightly behind the listener; not in the rear.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,325 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted July 26 2011 - 02:59 AM

I have to agree with Al.  If your room geometry doesn't lend itself well to a 7.1 speaker configuration I wouldn't worry about it one bit.  A good 5.1 system can work wonders.  The benefits of adding rear surrounds (7.1) is only apparent in larger rooms.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of PSB S5 bipole surrounds (or whatever was equivalent about 5 years ago) to the sides of my listening position and they sound great.  My room is large, and I have my (ancient) PSB Alphas on the back wall at least 6 feet behind the sofa.  They aren't used that often and I have no plans to upgrade those speakers ever.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   no respect

no respect

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted July 26 2011 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It's actually calming as I was freaking out when I realized that the headrests would reach nearly to the back wall. I was going for a 7.1 but now realize that's not practical. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users