What's new

One Eyed Jacks on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One Eyed Jacks has been released on Blu-ray disc in Germany under the title Noch Hänge Ich Nicht which translates roughly as "I'm not hanging yet". This BRD seems to be region free and will play on Zone A Blu-ray players.
Unfortunately this is not a good BRD. It comes from a French print which has severe color fading. For most of the movie, blue is almost completely absent and skies are often a sickly grey. In a good print Charles Lang's cinematography - in Vista Vision and Technicolor - is quite beautiful and when One Eyed Jacks was first seen, many people remarked that the movie was an unusually beautiful looking film.
In addition, there is very little definition in long and medium shots. I've seen more depth of focus in many DVDs.
Do I regret buying this BRD? No, because it is at least watchable and for a long time One Eyed Jacks has been available only on unwatchable bootleg DVDs. This very sub-standard BRD can be recommended only with strong reservations to Western fanatics who absolutely must have One Eyed Jacks in their collection. Normal movie lovers should avoid it!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for the alert.
Would you say the new French DVD, called La Vengeance aux deux visages, is better?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Intergroove Media is releasing US blu-ray edition on November 8. Cover artwork is the same as German blu-ray:
706bc168_169048-d0.jpg

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Richard--W said:
Thanks for the alert.
Would you say the new French DVD, called La Vengeance aux deux visages, is better?
If you mean the Wild Side DVD - that is clearly the same print which is used for the German Blu-ray, so it's a bit less sharp. I agree with everything Robin says about the German BD but as a huge fan of the film I'm happy to have the German disc until something better comes. The Intergroove Media version is bound to be exactly the same.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The best quality One-Eyed Jacks remains the Paramount laser-disc:
5c615953_OneEyedJacks-LASER.jpeg

and the port to DVD by Front Row Features:
05eeb4a9_OEJ-FrontRow.jpeg

MikeIMH

Grip
On November 8th, One Eyed Jacks is being released on Blu-ray. And that's the day after tomorrow.
In the United States, it is being released by Entertainment One and is on sale on Amazon.com for $12.99.
In Canada, the studio is listed on Amazon.ca as Koch, and the price is $19.54.
Since the cover art is identical, I can only assume it is the same release.
Unfortunately, I can not find a review of either disc.
I may be inclined to buy it on a whim for thirteen bucks, but to pay almost twenty dollars plus 13% tax for it in Canada, I would like to read a review before making a purchase.
Does anyone know if there are any reviews out there?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
The best quality One-Eyed Jacks remains the Paramount laser-disc:
5c615953_OneEyedJacks-LASER.jpeg
I don't know about other versions but the LD did indeed look better then the German Blu-Ray when I made an A/B test.
I think it is simple: If money is spent on One Eyed Jacks we will know and it will not be through some 4th tier company that releases crappy stuff from LD times (not talking about the specific release at hand but in general). I would guess that a quality product might come from Paramount directly or possibly Criterion.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
First off, the best quality transfer of One-Eyed Jacks is the Wild Side DVD from France - hands down.
Second off, not only is this US "version" of One-Eyed Jacks the same crap transfer as the German Blu-ray, it's the EXACT SAME DISC! German menus, German "copyright" notice (what a joke), and anyone who purchases this does so at their own peril. If you like completely faded color, French main titles, and a horrible looking mess this is the disc for you. :) You have been warned.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/313317/one-eyed-jacks-on-blu-ray#post_3868714
Thanks for this information, Bruce. What a crushing disappointment!
It was what I expected especially at that pricepoint. As soon as I saw the titles I realized this was the German BRD. Anyhow, despite it being a very mediocre presentation, I at least have a copy of the film that I can watch until something better comes along.

Crawdaddy

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I really recommend the Wild Side DVD - it's not perfect, but it's so far and above any other version, with pretty good color - better than the laserdisc, IMO and anamorphic.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So, the new German Blu-ray and the new French DVD are different transfers or from different sources?
Picture quality is not the only consideration.
Isn't the 4% PAL speed-up really noticeable on the new Wild Side DVD from France?
As if Brando's voice wasn't high enough already.
And then there is the dramatic timing.
Some people don't notice it, other people do.
I notice it on the Les Films de ma Vie DVD and the Paramount DVD both from France.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was so hoping that we were going to get a Blu-ray comparable to the miracle wrought on The African Queen. With this out, Paramount won't go within a hundred miles of a decent release.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Richard--W said:
So, the new German Blu-ray and the new French DVD are different transfers or from different sources?
Picture quality is not the only consideration.
Isn't the 4% PAL speed-up really noticeable on the new Wild Side DVD from France?
As if Brando's voice wasn't high enough already.
And then there is the dramatic timing.
Some people don't notice it, other people do.
I notice it on the Les Films de ma Vie DVD and the Paramount DVD both from France.
Completely different transfers from completely different sources. The PAL thing was not a problem for me because at least the image was viewable.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Crap - I ordered this thinking it was a Warner release (judging by the artwork). So what we have here is a foreign hack job distributed in the U.S. by a fly by night? Even at $12 it's a rip off if it looks as bad as it's being said here. I'm actually hoping the movie isn't good so I can give it away.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon.com is now showing opinions from people who have bought the American BRD. The opinions are uniformly hostile and make clear that this BRD comes from the same source as the German BRD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks