What's new

Best or very good region free blu ray player?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hello - I am looking for some help on finding a blu ray player in region A (US) that will play all region Blu ray discs.
I have read that Oppo's blu ray players will play other region blu ray's if a mod kit is installed.
Are there any other players that are good quality, but a bit more affordable?
I currently have a Panasonic BD55 and was looking to upgrade at some point.
Thanks for the help and advice! I appreciate it!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just to clarify. I am looking for a player that will play Region A, B and C blu ray discs.
Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tim,

I don't know if the Sherwood 5400 BRD player is still available, but it has given me great service and does a wonderful job playing other region DVDs and BRDs.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Have never purchased from these guys, don't know anything about their track record, but when I searched for region-free players, this site pops near the top of the list.
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/multi_region_blu_ray_dvd_player.htm
Their prices seem pretty good. Maybe if you e-mailed them, you could get a better idea of prices, choices, after-sales service, etc etc.

rouged

Auditioning
Real Name
Cassie
Hi guys,
I'm also after a region free blu-ray player. I've read here http://www.reviewmaze.com/2011/08/region-free-blu-ray-player-software.html that there are some cheaper alternatives of Oppo like Sherwood or LGs. But I'm more inteested has someone tried the software alternatives mentioned there? It seems really cheap to have 2 or even 3 different software players or to use a program that easily change region codes. Any experience with these is welcomed.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tim Haxton said:
I have read that Oppo's blu ray players will play other region blu ray's if a mod kit is installed.
Are there any other players that are good quality, but a bit more affordable?
I don't know if you can still get the ones that can play all regions; but I bought a Best Buy Insignia player earlier this year. They had two models-NS-WBRDVD4 and NS-BRDVD4 that could be adapted to region free use via a code on the remote. However, I believe later firmware updates overrode that option, so I left mine unconnected to the internet so the firmware would not update. Look around; you may still find one. Mine was around $100. Quite a decent player, and did good upconverting. I used it only for foreign discs as I did not want to wear it out with everyday use.
I recently bit the bullet and bought an Oppo BDP93. I've had two Panasonics that went bad (BD60 had to have the entire drive replaced under warranty; LAN connection no longer works on BD65 out of warranty). Rather than pay to have the BD65 repaired, I bought the Oppo.
Yesterday, I installed the region-free mod that connects outside the machine. So far, works great. Considering that I have a fair number of SACDs and DVD-A discs; the Oppo has turned out to be a great purchase. I just wish it offered Amazon VOD streaming.

rouged

Auditioning
Real Name
Cassie
Hi David,
Does this mean you have now 2 region free players? Is the Insignia Ok or something has gone wrong with it and that's why you've bought the Oppo?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Cassie, the Insignia still works. I had been eying an Oppo for some time so that I could use it to play my SACDs and DVD-Audio discs in addition to DVDs and BDs. Being able to convert the Oppo BDP93 to region-free was the final thing that sold me on it.
I think I read somewhere that there is a way to roll back the firmware on the Insignias to keep them region-free. I do not know which models of the Insignias worked for the region fix other than the ones I mentioned in my post. Basically, if you enter "9113" while in the setup menu, it adds an item to the menu that says "Configure Player". Once you click on Configure Player, you can set Blu-ray and DVD regions. I believe the later firmwares nuked that option.

rouged

Auditioning
Real Name
Cassie
Thanks for the info, David! I have not taken a final decision yet so it could be a helpful information.

avnoob2

Auditioning
Real Name
peter
theonemacduff said:
Have never purchased from these guys, don't know anything about their track record, but when I searched for region-free players, this site pops near the top of the list.
Their prices seem pretty good. Maybe if you e-mailed them, you could get a better idea of prices, choices, after-sales service, etc etc.
Wow! Just looked at link and found out this is at a warehouse a few blocks down from my old office. I'm gonna check them out.
I guess I could say they are legit because use to drive by the warehouse during workdays and it looks like they've been around for a long time.
They got some very competitive deals, prices and sales too.
Thanks for bringing them up.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
theonemacduff said:
My boss purchased the Region A/B/C verison of the player from them around Christmas (present for his daughter), so they're plenty legit. I, personally, have bought from World Gift Center (world-import.com) in the past (over 10 years ago) and they're legit, too. They have the same player, but it's a little more expensive.
These are hardware-modified, but so are the Oppos. At least the hardware mods will survive firmware updates.
My boss said that player works great, by the way.

avnoob2

Auditioning
Real Name
peter
AndyMcKinney said:
My boss purchased the Region A/B/C verison of the player from them around Christmas (present for his daughter), so they're plenty legit. I, personally, have bought from World Gift Center (world-import.com) in the past (over 10 years ago) and they're legit, too. They have the same player, but it's a little more expensive.
These are hardware-modified, but so are the Oppos. At least the hardware mods will survive firmware updates.
My boss said that player works great, by the way.
Just went to 220-electronics, a.k.a. International Video & Electroncis, and picked up the LG BD640 multiregion blu ray player. You're right! They are hardware modded for all regions (easy to use too). Luckily I caught them before the sale was over for this item. They ran out of the 110V so I just picked up the 110+V which was $10 more for $220. Works fine so far. Just ran the Akira (UK version in steelbook case)....runs good so far no problems. Awesome!

woojianxi

Auditioning
Real Name
woojianxi
David_B_K said:
Cassie, the Insignia still works. I had been eying an Oppo for some time so that I could use it to play my SACDs and DVD-Audio discs in addition to DVDs and BDs. Being able to convert the Oppo BDP93 to region-free was the final thing that sold me on it.
I think I read somewhere that there is a way to roll back the firmware on the Insignias to keep them region-free. I do not know which models of the Insignias worked for the region fix other than the ones I mentioned in my post. Basically, if you enter "9113" while in the setup menu, it adds an item to the menu that says "Configure Player". Once you click on Configure Player, you can set Blu-ray and DVD regions. I believe the later firmwares nuked that option.
that's good!

cazal

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I bought the BD640 from Amazon - I live in the UK - it doesn't work in the UK and won't play Regio B BluRays, Anyone know of a software fix for this to make it multi-region? Cheers

cazal

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hallo Sumnernor. Wie geht's dir? All Region B BD players will play PAL. Most new onews will do a live translation from PAL to NTSC so that you can watch on your TV. Make sure the player is a Region B for playing, a lot say Region A + B + C but then they say Plays Region whatever only. Check that last bit. If you are not sure go to www.Amazon.DE and buy from them. They have an excellent returns policy and their Customer Services is second to none so if you buy the wrong unit they will swap it within 28 days. I just did. No issue and nice and easy and you get your money back into your account immediately.
Good lusk, John

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by cazal /t/313246/best-or-very-good-region-free-blu-ray-player#post_3904162
All Region B BD players will play PAL. Most new onews will do a live translation from PAL to NTSC so that you can watch on your TV. Make sure the player is a Region B for playing, a lot say Region A + B + C but then they say Plays Region whatever only. Check that last bit. If you are not sure go to www.Amazon.DE and buy from them. They have an excellent returns policy and their Customer Services is second to none so if you buy the wrong unit they will swap it within 28 days. I just did. No issue and nice and easy and you get your money back into your account immediately.
I did not understand the above. I want a Blue Ray player that will play A and B BRs at least and for DVDs will play at least region codes 1 and 2.

dersd00

Auditioning
Real Name
dersd
Thanks for the help and advice! I appreciate it!
g.gif
:(

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sumnernor said:
I did not understand the above. I want a Blue Ray player that will play A and B BRs at least and  for DVDs will play at least region codes 1 and 2.

Oppo blu ray player is one way to go. You will need a special Mod to play other region blu rays. There should be a hack code for DVD playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks