What's new

Official Lion OS X Discussion and Troubleshooting Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Lion was officially released today. Please use this thread to

sing its praises or talk about its shortcomings. You may also

want to troubleshoot other potential problems with HTF members.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Had to leave for work this morning before the upgrade on my MBP was done (it was telling me 10 mins left in the instal). When I get home tonight, I'll have a surprise -- good or bad, no idea.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
OK, I'll repeat my last post from the other Lion thread, and add to it. The first casualty of Lion is Firefox, which does not support the swipe page left / right gesture. I've had to revert to Safari. Oddly, swiping left / right worked with Firefox under 10.6.8. I'm already missing password management in Firefox that Safari does not have. The Lion download worked fine. I did not time it, but I've got fast internet, and it ran quickly. The install once downloaded took about 30 minutes on my 2010 Mac mini. I tried to run something Java-based, it said that Java was not installed, and offered to download it for me. That worked fine. I tried running Microsoft Office X, and as expected it came back with an error that I can not open the application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. So I trashed Office X. So far, so good.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Skimming reviews. Versioning and auto-save look great. The UI stuff leaves me cool. (how is reverting 20 years backwards to 1990's monochrome NeXT icons an improvement over 2010's color?) Hopefully it's more awesome than it sounds, because simply reading about the UI changes are putting me off.

And torn paper? On my pixel-perfect display? I remove all such detritus when tearing out paper sheets from real pads. That threatens to drive me batty.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/5

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My casualties: 1. MacMP3Gain absolutely does not work (despite my reading in Macforums that it did). 2. Back/forth finger swiping gesture navigation in Firefox and Chrome does not work, but does in Safari. I think Apple changed the code on it to enable new gestures in Lion and it's just a matter of Google and Mozilla releasing new versions of the browsers. Nothing else so far, Office 2011 seems to work as does Lr3. Haven't tried the native Apple apps but I'm going to assume they do (otherwise I've have read about it on the web by now - latest versions of iLife, iWork, Logic Pro, etc.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have some form of ADD, so you can imagine the difficulty

in getting past the first few paragraphs of that ArsTechnica review.

I can't imagine many people having the time to read that entire

novel worth of coverage. Still, hats off to that team for the extensive

amount of digging into the OS that they did.

For me, the Mossberg review was easier to digest. Been using the

OS for weeks and I agree that LION is the best operating system

currently available.

Carlo, all the native Apple apps do work (iLife and iWork). There

are updates available today for many of them so that they work

full screen. I also use Adobe CS5 and have no problems with the

projects I have been doing.

You can find a compatability table here.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you use Droplets at all in CS5 you are going to have issues for a bit. MG has a pretty good run down on actual use: http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/20/os-x-lion-upgrade/

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Never mind about my #2 casualty. If you go to the Preferences for trackpad, and under More Gestures there is a swipe between pages setting that is defaulted to a two-finger swipe which doesn't seem to work for both Chrome and Firefox. If you change it from two finger to three finger swipe (left/right) it magically works on both Chrome and Firefox! So my only casualty thus far is MacMP3Gain (which is a real loss for me). :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I can't imagine many people having the time to read that entire

novel worth of coverage. Still, hats off to that team for the extensive

amount of digging into the OS that they did.
In his podcast, Hypercritical, Jon Siracusa noted that the traffic stats over the years show most people read the first page or two and the conclusion of his review. There's a dramatic drop off in readership by page three or four. So you're in good company.

But I'll read it all :) It may take a couple days, though.

And MacWorld is going gonzo with their coverage.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well the first time I downloaded it the download was corrupted. This appears to be an issue that is occurring with Macbook Pros for some reason. On the support forums it has taken downloading multiple times before getting one that worked. I'm downloading the second time now it looks like it is going to take awhile. 20hrs remaning... :(

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Installing on the Wife's MBP right now. I've played with the developer ed, so I'm pretty aware of what we're getting into. The biggest loss for me is a piece of software I'm sure they will update so I won't worry about it yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good info, what to do if you want to put a clean install on an older mac: http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/07/ask-ars-do-i-have-to-use-the-mac-app-store-to-install-lion.ars Setup tips: http://www.macstories.net/mac/the-first-five-things-i-do-when-i-set-up-lion/ Andy! http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/6621563-452/apple-os-x-10.7-lion-roars-with-futuristic-and-maddening-upgrades

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
News to me, apparently Apple will make Lion available on a thumb drive in August $69:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/07/20Mac-OS-X-Lion-Available-Today-From-the-Mac-App-Store.html

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Finished reading Siracusa's review yesterday. As always, practically exhaustive and tells me everything I wanted to know, and then some. There's little point in reading other reviews after that one, but I'm skimming Ihnatko's and TIMN's.

The functional improvements, particularly revisions and restore, make it worthwhile despite my concerns about weird UI decisions (torn paper, no scroll bars). But I think I'm waiting for the eventual point-one update before upgrading. I need to check that my software and my wife's software is compatible. And while I might be tempted to do my machine sooner, after my staggered Snow Leopard upgrades, I decided it's best to keep our machines in OS-sync and I don't want to be hasty with her iMac, since it has professional use. Assuming everything's compatible, I expect to do the upgrade in a month or so, depending on Apple's update pace.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's experience, favorite features, recommended software, and tips. Expect to join the roaring club later this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks