Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official Lion OS X Discussion and Troubleshooting Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,822 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 05:18 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Lion was officially released today.  Please use this thread to

sing its praises or talk about its shortcomings.  You may also

want to troubleshoot other potential problems with HTF members.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 55 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 05:41 AM

Had to leave for work this morning before the upgrade on my MBP was done (it was telling me 10 mins left in the instal).  When I get home tonight, I'll have a surprise -- good or bad, no idea.

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#3 of 55 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 20 2011 - 05:51 AM

OK, I'll repeat my last post from the other Lion thread, and add to it. The first casualty of Lion is Firefox, which does not support the swipe page left / right gesture. I've had to revert to Safari. Oddly, swiping left / right worked with Firefox under 10.6.8. I'm already missing password management in Firefox that Safari does not have. The Lion download worked fine. I did not time it, but I've got fast internet, and it ran quickly. The install once downloaded took about 30 minutes on my 2010 Mac mini. I tried to run something Java-based, it said that Java was not installed, and offered to download it for me. That worked fine. I tried running Microsoft Office X, and as expected it came back with an error that I can not open the application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. So I trashed Office X. So far, so good.

#4 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:27 AM

All you need to know: http://arstechnica.c...c-os-x-10-7.ars

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#5 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:28 AM

Also, be sure to run system update, the iWork apps and iTunes are now fully 64 bit and fullscreen enable-able apps.

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#6 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:32 AM

Mossy moss: http://allthingsd.co...rg-lion-review/

#7 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:35 AM

Known Adobe issues: http://kb2.adobe.com...#main_Photoshop

#8 of 55 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 20 2011 - 07:15 AM

Skimming reviews. Versioning and auto-save look great. The UI stuff leaves me cool. (how is reverting 20 years backwards to 1990's monochrome NeXT icons an improvement over 2010's color?) Hopefully it's more awesome than it sounds, because simply reading about the UI changes are putting me off.

And torn paper? On my pixel-perfect display? I remove all such detritus when tearing out paper sheets from real pads. That threatens to drive me batty.

http://arstechnica.c...os-x-10-7.ars/5

#9 of 55 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,538 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 07:17 AM

My casualties: 1. MacMP3Gain absolutely does not work (despite my reading in Macforums that it did). 2. Back/forth finger swiping gesture navigation in Firefox and Chrome does not work, but does in Safari. I think Apple changed the code on it to enable new gestures in Lion and it's just a matter of Google and Mozilla releasing new versions of the browsers. Nothing else so far, Office 2011 seems to work as does Lr3. Haven't tried the native Apple apps but I'm going to assume they do (otherwise I've have read about it on the web by now - latest versions of iLife, iWork, Logic Pro, etc.)

#10 of 55 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,822 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 07:50 AM

I have some form of ADD, so you can imagine the difficulty

in getting past the first few paragraphs of that ArsTechnica review.

I can't imagine many people having the time to read that entire

novel worth of coverage.  Still, hats off to that team for the extensive

amount of digging into the OS that they did.

For me, the Mossberg review was easier to digest.  Been using the

OS for weeks and I agree that LION is the best operating system

currently available.

Carlo, all the native Apple apps do work (iLife and iWork).  There

are updates available today for many of them so that they work

full screen.  I also use Adobe CS5 and have no problems with the

projects I have been doing.

You can find a compatability table here.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 08:11 AM

If you use Droplets at all in CS5 you are going to have issues for a bit. MG has a pretty good run down on actual use: http://techcrunch.co...x-lion-upgrade/

#12 of 55 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,538 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 08:12 AM

Never mind about my #2 casualty. If you go to the Preferences for trackpad, and under More Gestures there is a swipe between pages setting that is defaulted to a two-finger swipe which doesn't seem to work for both Chrome and Firefox. If you change it from two finger to three finger swipe (left/right) it magically works on both Chrome and Firefox! So my only casualty thus far is MacMP3Gain (which is a real loss for me). :(

#13 of 55 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

I can't imagine many people having the time to read that entire

novel worth of coverage.  Still, hats off to that team for the extensive

amount of digging into the OS that they did.

In his podcast, Hypercritical, Jon Siracusa noted that the traffic stats over the years show most people read the first page or two and the conclusion of his review. There's a dramatic drop off in readership by page three or four. So you're in good company.

But I'll read it all :) It may take a couple days, though.

And MacWorld is going gonzo with their coverage.

#14 of 55 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 20 2011 - 09:45 AM

Carlo, thanks for the fix...I can use Firefox now!

#15 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 10:31 AM

And MacWorld is going gonzo with their coverage.

Yup: http://www.macworld.com/lion has all their coverage!

#16 of 55 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well the first time I downloaded it the download was corrupted. This appears to be an issue that is occurring with Macbook Pros for some reason. On the support forums it has taken downloading multiple times before getting one that worked. I'm downloading the second time now it looks like it is going to take awhile. 20hrs remaning... :(

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#17 of 55 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:58 PM

Installing on the Wife's MBP right now.  I've played with the developer ed, so I'm pretty aware of what we're getting into.  The biggest loss for me is a piece of software I'm sure they will update so I won't worry about it yet.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#18 of 55 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,610 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:18 PM

Good info, what to do if you want to put a clean install on an older mac: http://arstechnica.c...nstall-lion.ars Setup tips: http://www.macstorie...-i-set-up-lion/ Andy! http://www.suntimes....dening-upgrades

#19 of 55 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,006 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:37 PM

News to me, apparently Apple will make Lion available on a thumb drive in August $69:

http://www.apple.com...-App-Store.html

-KeithP

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#20 of 55 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts

Posted July 22 2011 - 03:29 AM

Finished reading Siracusa's review yesterday. As always, practically exhaustive and tells me everything I wanted to know, and then some. There's little point in reading other reviews after that one, but I'm skimming Ihnatko's and TIMN's.

The functional improvements, particularly revisions and restore, make it worthwhile despite my concerns about weird UI decisions (torn paper, no scroll bars).  But I think I'm waiting for the eventual point-one update before upgrading. I need to check that my software and my wife's software is compatible. And while I might be tempted to do my machine sooner, after my staggered Snow Leopard upgrades, I decided it's best to keep our machines in OS-sync and I don't want to be hasty with her iMac, since it has professional use. Assuming everything's compatible, I expect to do the upgrade in a month or so, depending on Apple's update pace.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's experience, favorite features, recommended software, and tips. Expect to join the roaring club later this summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users