Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone for a few American International Pictures horror titles on Blu-ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:38 PM

THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM is playing on Epix HD on Aug 5th (Sun) at 5:05am Eastern time. I'm curious to see what this looks like in HD.

Yes, since this was not an anamorphic transfer I'd be curious as well.

#22 of 37 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 09:47 PM

The one question nobody's asked yet is, who OWNS the ex-MGM/UA AIP Midnite Movies catalog now? MGM's DVD rights had lapsed; thought someone else (Fox?) had picked up the rights after they were floating around in the ether. I mean, we're not even going to hope to see that Dr. Phibes double feature (even though the second one stinks, they always pair them off) until someone can competently answer that question.

#23 of 37 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 29 2012 - 10:14 PM

What fantastic film posters, it seems that's a lost art now. For anyone who can play region B, Germany released The Haunted Palace on Blu a few months ago, I haven't seen any reviews, but it's had good feedback. http://www.amazon.de...43642374&sr=1-2 Premature Burial is due for release on 24th August. http://www.amazon.de.../ref=pd_sim_d_4 Hoping for The Pit & The Pendulum sometime soon.

#24 of 37 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 10:41 PM

Actually, AN EVENING WITH EDGAR ALLAN POE was originally shot on videotape and the dvd used a tape to film conversion.

So that's what happened. Thanks. As I said TCM aired the film -- or TV special -- in excellent quality while the DVD looks like a splotchy conversion. AIP continued to make Poe films into the early 1970s -- including THE OBLONG BOX (1968), CRY OF THE BANSHEE (1970) and MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1971) all directed by Gordon Hessler. The films weren't as good as the earlier films by Roger Corman, although CRY OF THE BANSHEE had the advantage of John Coquillon as photographer. SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN wasn't a Poe story at all, no matter what the posters and trailer claimed.

#25 of 37 Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 12:22 AM

Tales of Terror is playing today on Epix HD;A Bucket of Blood is scheduled for tomorrow.

#26 of 37 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 12:42 AM

What fantastic film posters, it seems that's a lost art now. ...

Take another look The Masque of the Red Death poster. Note the bodies entwined in the lines of Vincent Price's features. What a cleaver and brilliant idea. It goes straight to the meaning of the story. I don't know who the artist was, but if there was an annual award for the best poster, I'd give to him for the best poster of 1964. Posted Image

#27 of 37 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,045 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 30 2012 - 12:52 AM

These films have meant the world to me since I first saw The Premature Burial on its opening night in our town around age 12.  I literally remember that Friday night, and the next morning when I found and started devouring the novelization paperback.  I bored my family to tears talking non-stop about it.  I soon caught up with the first two films, coercing my mom and dad to take us repeatedly to showings at drive-ins, and it's been a love affair ever since.

Richard, those poster images are a treasure.  The whole world should take a look at what they're missing now.

My dream has been one glorious box set of the whole line-up, with appropriate art and a beautiful booklet.  My dollars are here, waiting.

#28 of 37 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,045 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 30 2012 - 01:38 AM

BTW, the UK release of Pit and the Pendulum is anamorphic.  It lacks Corman's commentary track, and the PAL speedup is a little distracting to these ears (it isn't on every PAL disc I watch, but I know the sound of this film way too well for it not to be noticeable) -- but the image is much nicer.

#29 of 37 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 30 2012 - 03:35 AM

Yeah Id get the Poe titles, plus Squirm, Frogs , Angry Red Planet, Reptilicus , etc.

#30 of 37 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 30 2012 - 03:55 AM

Take another look The Masque of the Red Death poster. Note the bodies entwined in the lines of Vincent Price's features. What a cleaver and brilliant idea. It goes straight to the meaning of the story. I don't know who the artist was, but if there was an annual award for the best poster, I'd give to him for the best poster of 1964.

I remembered I had an old copy of a Cinefantastique film poster special, & it's by the GREAT Reynold Brown, who did all the other classic American International posters, as well as stuff like: The Time Machine, The Day Of The Triffids, This Island Earth ect. In a sane world this guy would be well known!

#31 of 37 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 05:07 AM

I want all those Corman/AIP/etc movies on blu-ray. I've got THE HAUNTED PALACE from Germany and it does actually look good. I've seen the MGM HD broadcasts of some of the others and they look outstanding, clearly blowing away the old transfers for dvd. I'm hoping Koch goes ahead and releases more of them in DE. For people in the US, the best place to get the German bds is http://www.Grooves-Inc.com. Prices are very fair and shipping is ridiculously low. http://www.grooves-i...1897429212.html

#32 of 37 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,432 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 12:00 AM

Tales of Terror is playing today on Epix HD;A Bucket of Blood is scheduled for tomorrow.

Just watched A Bucket of Blood for the first time. Really liked it. It also looked good. What's really horrifying is the DVD cover art. Posted Image

all-banner.jpg

#33 of 37 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 03:16 AM

if any one is counting....add me to the list that would love to see these on blu.

#34 of 37 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:55 AM

if any one is counting....add me to the list that would love to see these on blu.

Again, I'm "for" them, but who HAS them? Last I heard, they reverted to James A NIcholson's estate/wife, and she's been tight on them ever since the MGM releases. I'd thought they'd changed hands to Fox, but not to many people really do know.

#35 of 37 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 02 2012 - 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ejanss 

Again, I'm "for" them, but who HAS them?
Last I heard, they reverted to James A NIcholson's estate/wife, and she's been tight on them ever since the MGM releases. I'd thought they'd changed hands to Fox, but not to many people really do know.

Susan Hart who became the Nicholson's second wife only has control of about eleven pictures.  The AIP horror/Sci-Fi titles are IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN, I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, INVASION OF THE SAUCERMEN, TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000, ZONTAR THE THING FROM VENUS, and THE EYE CREATURES.  There are also a couple of western titles in the group. She has controlled these titles since Nicholson left AIP and they were never in MGM's hands.

There are ten of films the the Arkoff estate controls.  They include BLOOD OF DRACULA, DAY THE WORLD ENDED, EARTH VS. THE SPIDER, HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER, THE BRAIN EATERS, VOODOO WOMAN, WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST and THE UNDEAD.  These however have been released on DVD in the UK and some in the US.

And of course there are a small amount of titles that AIP released that reverted back to the producer.

MGM owns the Poe films and just about everything they released on DVD through their Midnight Movies collections. They are the total owner of the major films in the AIP library. Fox releases the product from the current MGM library and the MGM MOD program has released several AIP films including SARGENT DEADHEAD and OPERATION BIKINI.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#36 of 37 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,587 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 08:12 AM

I remembered I had an old copy of a Cinefantastique film poster special, & it's by the GREAT Reynold Brown, who did all the other classic American International posters, as well as stuff like: The Time Machine, The Day Of The Triffids, This Island Earth ect. In a sane world this guy would be well known!

A feature-length documentary was made about Reynold Brown in 1994; it was run on PBS and later on AMC (back in the good old days). Here's Part 1 (of 4) on YouTube:

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#37 of 37 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,602 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 15 2012 - 04:56 AM

I'll happily buy American International titles if they come out priced right and of decent quality.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users