What's new

Subtitles on Criterion's W.C. Fields 6 Film Collection - Is Criterion Joking? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have Criterion's collection of W.C. Field's 6 short films. The collection advertises that it has subtitles for the hearing impaired. The DVD menu does not have a set up section for turning on the subtitles (although it does have a "color bar" selection, but what am I going to do with that for 6 black and white films). The booklet says that the subtitles can be turned on by pressing the "subtitle" button, but none of my remote controls have a subtitle button. It occurred to me that maybe they were talking about close captions, but turning on close captions for my tv doesn't seem to do anything for the DVD. Finally, it also occurred to me that the whole subtitle claim was a Fieldsian practical joke, but it seems more likely that the problem is my own lack of technical knowledge. Does anyone know what the answer is?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It's like that for pretty much all of Criterion's DVDs for some reason--you need to either push a "subtitles" button on your remote, or use a computer and turn them on using video player controls. I agree it can be annoying an my remote control for my DVD player years ago lacked this feature, which only became an issue when watching English films in the Criterion Collection. If neither of those options are available, another is to purchase an inexpensive universal remote that has this button. That solved my problem up until I bought a new player.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

I have Criterion's collection of W.C. Field's 6 short films. The collection advertises that it has subtitles for the hearing impaired. The DVD menu does not have a set up section for turning on the subtitles (although it does have a "color bar" selection, but what am I going to do with that for 6 black and white films). The booklet says that the subtitles can be turned on by pressing the "subtitle" button, but none of my remote controls have a subtitle button. It occurred to me that maybe they were talking about close captions, but turning on close captions for my tv doesn't seem to do anything for the DVD. Finally, it also occurred to me that the whole subtitle claim was a Fieldsian practical joke, but it seems more likely that the problem is my own lack of technical knowledge. Does anyone know what the answer is?

I only viewed this title as a rental, and I can't recall whether it had subtitles or not. That being said, DVD/BD remotes without subtitle buttons usually have other ways of turning them on without using the on-disc menu. For instance, most Panasonic players have a "Display" button that pulls up a player-generated menu screen including subtitle options.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, my Sony and Philips have a subtitle button, however my old Panny had to go through the menus to get to it.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I saw this on my shelf this morning and i hope Criterion can re-release it on Blu-ray. I believe you can see them on the Criterion Channel.

1608842432971.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would love to see these redone with the improvements in film scanning and digital redirection that have occurred over the past two decades. There’s a lot of room for improvement technically; fortunately the shorts themselves are as funny as ever even in less than pristine condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks