Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Vivendi and RHI Press Release: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#561 of 604 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 09:17 PM

And I know it must have been posted at some point in the last seven years, either here or on the YouTube thread, but I know I'm not the only one who can't read a Laurel & Hardy thread without flashing back on the hallowed old YouTube classics:

There's just something about that that never gets old.  :D

#562 of 604 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 10:53 PM

Heck, they can dance to any tune available in this scene, like Billie Jean by Michael Jackson or Rockwell's Phone Calls and such...how the hell did I even remember that?!

#563 of 604 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted November 08 2013 - 01:32 PM

Even with the dreadful Agee mishandling of these, I don't think there was any real danger of losing quality film elements of these.  We forget that the European license holders have their own prints that they used for the European DVD sets and possibly have found better prints over the years.  The loss of nitrates is certainly bad news, but as long as quality elements remain (and in competent hands), it shouldn't be a mortal blow for the future of their silent classics.

#564 of 604 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,255 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 09:50 PM

UCLA is undertaking the restoration of most of the Hal Roach library.

Not to stray too far from the topic, but I hope this means we might also see ONE MILLION B.C. at some point...

#565 of 604 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 10:02 PM

Don't know who owns the Roach features -- they could well be part of the Turner package and may well reside with MGM.

I still have the laserdisc of this movie and it has fantastic special effects and editing, including plenty of real life lizards wrestling around, the 'dinosaurs' in this movie (these scenes ended up as stock footage in numerous movies over the years, notably in "Robot Monster"), plus it lauched the career of Carole Landis -- and even though the movie's credited director was Hal Roach himself, legend has it that D.W Griffith directed most of it.

I much prefer this version than the 1966 remake (Raquel Welch and Ray Harryhausen withstanding)

#566 of 604 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 19 2013 - 05:48 AM

Don't know who owns the Roach features -- they could well be part of the Turner package and may well reside with MGM.

I still have the laserdisc of this movie and it has fantastic special effects and editing, including plenty of real life lizards wrestling around, the 'dinosaurs' in this movie (these scenes ended up as stock footage in numerous movies over the years, notably in "Robot Monster"), plus it lauched the career of Carole Landis -- and even though the movie's credited director was Hal Roach himself, legend has it that D.W Griffith directed most of it.

I much prefer this version than the 1966 remake (Raquel Welch and Ray Harryhausen withstanding)

The rights of films that have not moved into public domain are all over the place. The Hal Roach estate own some, especially the streamlines. King World, now CBS owns a few, Republic, now Paramount owns a few, etc. Then there are the individuals like Agee that own some also. The library is a mess of ownership.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#567 of 604 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted November 26 2013 - 07:10 PM

$39.99 at Amazon right now!!!

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#568 of 604 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted November 26 2013 - 09:05 PM

Not a bad deal for the set but hoping it goes down a tad more.

#569 of 604 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted November 26 2013 - 10:22 PM

From what I got from the WAC reps, they've already released every Hal Roach film that WB has the rights to with the sole exception of General Spanky.  Outside of the two L&H films, they really only have the rights to two other Roach films, Nobody's Baby and Pick a Star.

Regarding One Million B.C., I think that one is still with the same company that owns the sound L&H and Our Gang shorts.  It used to be called RHI Entertainment, but apparently they changed their name in recent years (or were bought out by) a company called Sonar Entertainment.

Their holding page for One Million B.C. is here

http://sonarent.com/.../one-million-bc

It seems that Sonar Entertainment holds the lion's share of the Roach features and (sound) short subjects that are still under copyright, including the Topper films (browse their film catalog and narrow down the genre to "vintage").  Hopefully another company can license some of these for home video like Vivendi did with L&H and Our Gang.

Edited by JoHud, November 26 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#570 of 604 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted December 02 2013 - 05:18 PM

The Essential Collection is currently listed on U.S. Amazon at $39.99. Let's hope this isn't followed by yet another Pre-Yuletide pulling of this title by Amazon that has occurred two years running!

Here is the link for it:
http://www.amazon.co...Wooden Soldiers

CHEERS!

Edited by Tony Bensley, December 02 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#571 of 604 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 09:42 AM

At 3:00 E.S.T. or so today, there will be a lightning deal on Amazon selling this for $32.49.

Edited by JoeDoakes, December 04 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#572 of 604 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 08:15 PM

If you can get it at that price, GRAB IT!

#573 of 604 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 01:22 PM

As of this posting, U.S. Amazon's price for The Essential Collection is back up in the $63 range.  Let's just hope that they don't pull it off of their listings as they've done the two previous Decembers!

CHEERS!

Tony

Edited by Tony Bensley, December 09 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#574 of 604 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 07:06 PM

The Essential Collection can be currently had at U.S. Amazon for $34.49.

Here is the link for it:

http://www.amazon.co...tial collection

CHEERS!

Tony

#575 of 604 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 08:17 AM

I decided to finally get this. I still have the UK set but may retire it. From what I have read about the USA set vs the UK set

1) the US set has the shorts/movies in the order in which they came out, chronological order 

2)The US set has better PQ overall with longer versions(?) of the films

3)It does not have the early silent shorts or colorized versions that the UK versions offer (I wouldnt watch them colorized anyway)

4)The packaging seems to be hit or miss with different people on the USA set 

Is this all correct and is there is anything else I should know, other tidbits that anyone could share...Im considering retiring the huge UK set. Ive read reviews , Ive read this thread...its a lot to absorb and maybe I missed something ..

#576 of 604 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 470 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted December 29 2013 - 10:07 AM

Among other things, original titles are restored in the American set and there will be no PAL speed up.

#577 of 604 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 11:27 PM

The UK set has a good bonus disc with that has a superior transfer of the original edition of Brats among other misc Roach material.  I currently have both, keeping the UK set around for the silents.

#578 of 604 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 08:04 AM

Do you mean the USA set has a good bonus disc which is # 10 ?

#579 of 604 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 12:38 PM

Do you mean the USA set has a good bonus disc which is # 10 ?

Hi David!

Both sets have their own Bonus Disc, each with completely different titles.  Although I don't actually own the UK Universal Collection, I am sufficiently aware of details regarding it to offer up a few reasons as to why you may not want to retire this collection as yet:

1.  As you've mentioned in a previous post, the Essential Collection does not, for legal reasons, include any of the Laurel & Hardy Silents.  Nor can they be currently obtained at anything resembling a reasonable price!  Just check Amazon for your UK Set and the Lost Films Of Laurel & Hardy Volumes, and you will see what I mean!

2.  While the vast majority of the Hal Roach sound titles look just as good or better on The Essential Collection, there are a few notable exceptions.  SONS OF THE DESERT for instance, has some rather funky contrast issues, and actually looks rather terrible in spots.  The best version I've seen of SOTD is the out of print German Kinowelt PAL DVD.  While I don't care for the 4% speedup, I must concede that the much superior video quality (Not to mention no missing bits or Audio/Visual Sync Issues, unlike the UK Universal version!) is worth it, in this case!

3.  If closed captioning holds any importance in your case, it should be noted that, while the Phonetic Foreign Language Films have English Subtitles, the English Language Films on the Essential Collection don't have either Subtitles or Captioning, while the opposite is true on the UK Universal Set!

In closing, my recommendation is to enjoy the marvelous (In my opinion!) Essential Collection, but hang onto your UK Universal Set, at least until a reasonably priced Laurel & Hardy Team Silents Collection becomes available (Whenever that may be?) in Region 1!

CHEERS!

Tony

#580 of 604 OFFLINE   Essanay Paul

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 12 2014 - 09:26 PM

POPULAR

I was talking with David Shepard today and he informed me that the home video rights to the SILENT Laurel & Hardy Films are now owned by CORINTH FILMS.
Corinth does market their product on DVD!

Michael Agee is out of it.

David also assures me that he has safety fine grains on the Laurel & Hardy Silent films stored at UCLA.

• Brandon Conway, Rob_Ray, ahollis and 5 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users