What's new

Will HTIB allow me to change speakers and different zones (1 Viewer)

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
Hello, I am looking for a home theatre system on a budget that will allow me to
  • Use In-Wall Speakers in the rear
  • Have different zones/channels. So people can listen to different music and/or TV in separate rooms
  • Allow use to plug in an iPhone. Nothing fancy
  • Have surround sound when watching movies
Are all these things possible with HTiB? If the Onkyo S5400 HtiB can do all these things, life would be good :cool:. Or do I need to purchase a component receiver then rear inwall speakers and front speakers? Budget is $400-$600. Thanks. Glad to be a new member here

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
  • Nothing special about in-wall speakers. Really, not much special at all. Unless they are absolutely necessary, look for something else. The HT part of HTiB means surround sound. What formats it decodes depends on the model you get. iPhone / iPod plug ins are getting pretty popular. I can't see why anyone would want to use AAC music at 96kbps. The better the speakers, the worse compressed music will sound. It's difficult to find inexpensive dual zone receivers so finding that feature in a HTiB will be next to impossible.
I'm not trying to criticize your selection, I'm trying to bring your expectations down to your budget. Look for last years models or used for a dual zone receiver. After that you save up for each piece of the puzzle.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
the ability to have rear in-wall speakers and have dual-zones is the most important features, even if I have to wait for the funds. Since I spent a lot of time researching the Onkyo HTIB, could I get help on a mid-range affordable receiver/setup that will have those features important to me? Thank you

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is nothing special about in-wall speakers. The receiver "sees" them as normal speakers. You will need to look for a dual zone receiver and then start looking at speakers. The most important is to get the front 3 (left, right & center) from the same manufacturer / line so they are timbre matched.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
thanks for the information. i understand now that I will need a dual zone receiver and I am glad the dual zone receiver will see the inwall speakers. does the forum have any popular sugesstions what I am looking for? I ask because during my research the Onkyo S5400 was a popular choice for HTiB on this forum, but what is a popular choice on the forum for an affordable dual zone receiver that I am looking for? .

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are currently in the Beginner and HTiB section of the forum. Since you are now looking for a real receiver, you should probably stop by the Receivers, Separates and Amps section. I could suggest something but it will be a Pioneer because that is my favorite. Find the one that has the features you want (dual zone being at the top of the list) and hopefully it meets your budget.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The receiver that comes with the S5400 is a fine receiver, and is certainly "real". It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles available on more expensive receivers. You have to go up to the S7400 HTiB to get zone2. The problem with the Onyko HTiB packages is that the speaker packages are not what you could get if purchased they separately. But if someone is trying to get a good, less expensive, starter system that can still be expanded later, the Onkyo packages are a good way to go.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
Al.Anderson said:
You have to go up to the S7400 HTiB to get zone2. The problem with the Onyko HTiB packages is that the speaker packages are not what you could get if purchased they separately. But if someone is trying to get a good, less expensive, starter system that can still be expanded later, the Onkyo packages are a good way to go.
It seems like I will need to expand my budget a little to get the features I want. Does this mean I should get the S7400 HTiB ? Or does it mean its better to get a Onkyo package (is that a receiver and speakers? ) I am looking for the best bang for the buck with the features. Thanks for all the help and clarifying for a newbie :)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Does this mean I should get the S7400 HTiB ? Or does it mean its better to get a Onkyo package (is that a receiver and speakers? ) I am looking for the best bang for the buck with the features.
Your question is hard to answer, because it involves too much personal preference. The Onkyo HTIB is a good price conscious choice for someone who wants to get a good system without breaking the bank. HTIBs are generally not a good idea (which is what Robert was probably keying off of); but a few companies, Onkyo among them, include a decent receiver in the mix and make it a respectable option not. But buying separate speakers almost always gets you a much better system (and is certainly the way I'd recommend if you have the extra few hundred dollars). At the least because you'll probably get bookshelfs instead of satellites. Although even if you get satellites you can pick and choose with more discretion. More specifically, companies that make receivers don't usually make the best speakers. (Again, Onkyo is a good compromise; but it's still a compromise.) Now personally, I wouldn't go up in a receiver line just to get a zone 2. I can think of maybe 2 times a year when I want to play different sources in two different rooms. (Or rather, I do it so often in my study that I prefer to have a discrete receiver in that location; and I do it so little outside this I just alway play the same thing in both places) For myself, I'd prefer to just pick something up used and cheap to drive the secondary area. Now if the other features of the upper tier receiver would be useful to you (maybe the ethernet connectivity?), then that's a different story. So, all that to say when you mention best bang for the buck, that doesn't mesh well to my way of thinking with a zone2 feature. And yes, by "package" I just meant the Onkyo HTIB which include a receiver and speakers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ac4l.com has the factory refurbished Onkyo 508 (powered Zone 2, iPod with optional dock) for $190 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR508/Onkyo-TX-SR508-7.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html And the HT-540 7.1 speaker package for $160 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT540/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html Ust the surround speakers for the Zone 2 room and add a pair (or two) of in-walls from Monoprice.com http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702 or from PartsExpress.com http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Cat&srchCat=762 There are other speaker packages to choose from, like these Fluance http://www.fluance.com/shop-speakers.html Jamo http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/544158919/jamo-s506hcs3 Denintive Technology http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/544699430/definitive-technology-procinema-60-6 Energy http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/544899065/energy-fpp-flat-panel-package Boston http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/544779013/boston-acoustics-cs2310b Or you could piece together a Polk Monitor series speaker package from http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007058%2050012345&IsNodeId=1&name=Polk%20Audio These are all $399 or less but most don't include the subwoofer. Look here for one of those http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=620&CFID=26285283&CFTOKEN=98279267 Pairing these speaker packages with in-walls isn't something most of us would do but it's your house. Knock yourself out :) .

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
Thanks A.I. for the reply. You got me thinking 'how much will i really use zone 2. And the answer is maybe 10 times a year. I'm glad you brought this idea because my Dad gave me his10yr old Onkyo TX-SV636 receiver. I can make this the primary receiver for the secondary room and buy some speakers. It will be good for Radio and CD. I dont think iPod. Then I could buy the Onkyo S5400 in my primary TV room as my surround sound, iPod and hook new rear speakers in TV room. What do you think of this plan with budget in mind?? To build my own individual components system or the S7400 sound like the better systems so I will need to research this. Look for a new post from me in the receivers section and if for a few hundred dollars more i can get a good receiver with speakers, i might take the dive. GEneC - what is wrong with Rear in-wall speakers? or is the problem because the speakers would be hooked up to S5400?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What do you think of this plan with budget in mind??
I think it's a great plan in your budget*. The TX-SV636 seems to be a fine receiver for music, it just doesn't have the video switching and some of the modern audio decoders. Still great for CDs as you say. And the iPod will work fine; just plug it into one of the Tape or Video inputs (anything but the Phono). * The only better plan would be getting the separate speakers for the primary listening area, but that would put you in the $900 range ($300 receiver, $300 speakers, $300 sub).

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
what is wrong with Rear in-wall speakers?
In wall speakers are always a compromise in quality for aesthetics.
It will be good for Radio and CD. I dont think iPod.
Get you an iPod dock and connect it to one of the many inputs. You will have to manually control the iPod but you will definitely play music.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
* The only better plan would be getting the separate speakers for the primary listening area, but that would put you in the $900 range ($300 receiver, $300 speakers, $300 sub).
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will start a new post in the section of receivers and maybe A.I you could reply with some suggestions to get the best equipment for that price range and is it worth the value to spend the extra money. see you over there Bud

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
GEneC - what is wrong with Rear in-wall speakers? or is the problem because the speakers would be hooked up to S5400? [/quote] Including what Robert said, In-Walls have fewer placement options, are made of thin plastic, cost more than comparable bookshelves (usually) and use the wall as a cabinet (that can't be good). Real good in-walls are very expensive. However, using them for surrounds is probably O.K. since surrounds really don't do too much anyways, at least compared to fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks