Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No more space shuttle, how do you feel about it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,733 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 11:03 AM

Personally, I'm heartbroken. With the footage of the final shuttle launch, I almost cried. It is as if part of America has been taken away from us. Like the 4th of July being removed. The NASA Space Program represented imagination, Hope, and Scientific advancement. No more. I have always been fascinated with the space program, but in the mid 90's I realized just how much I loved it. A friend I worked with and I were watching the HBO mini-series 'From the Earth to the Moon' each Sunday night. Monday mornings we talked about the episode the night before in great detail. We became very good friends just from our love of the space program. I am going to purchase all the documentaries of the subject on dvd. -'For all Mankind' -'When We left Earth' -'In the Shadow of the Moon' I thought I would see a manned mission to Mars in my Lifetime, I guess I was wrong. For now I'm just going to look to the stars, and dream that one day we will go back.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 11:17 AM

Well I'm sad that the program has ended I only hope that we continue to move forward. I was just down at the cape the week before the launch. There seems to be a feeling that we will be back in the space program soon. I guess we will  see. I for sure thought we would be going back to the moon at a minimum by now.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 258 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted July 17 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm not necessarily sad that the Shuttle program has ended, but I am not happy with the fact the we have no replacement, nor any apparent strategy for future space exploration.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 05:20 PM

I'm with Nathan. Retiring the Shuttle program was the right thing to do, but not having a replacement just hurts. I was inspired by NASA during the Apollo years, and I've followed NASA closely since. The final shuttle launch was a bittersweet moment for me.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted July 18 2011 - 01:39 AM

I have a brother who leaves Montreal every winter to go spend 6 months at Okeechoobee near Cape Kennedy,well nearer than Montreal. Anyways,every time he left i felt like the urge to go visit him and try to work it around one of the shuttle launches so i could see one with my eyes. Never did. Think i'll watch my Bluray Hubble and my Bluray Space station Imax films now as both have Shuttle launches on them.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,291 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 18 2011 - 08:33 AM

Other thoughts

http://www.hometheat...era-go-atlantis