-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony installed and activated public software on my new computer without my permission!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,248 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 04:49 AM

Do you wonder why your fan is running when your computer is idle? FYI: Found a program running on my Sony VAIO VPCF2190X laptop that Sony installed without my permission to use my computer publicly when I'm not.:mad: It is called "World Community Grid". What gets me very upset is that NO ONE ASKED MY PERMISSION to activate it! :mad: Found this link to Sony Computers to install BOINC (WCG) on new Computers. Others seem to have the same concern:

I don't want this crap on my computer! We are a business and bought a high end Sony laptop for a work at home graphics artist consultant. While checking user accounts I find a boinc_master and a boinc_project in the Administrators group. I said "what the heck is that?" Only after a lot of searching on the web do I find this forum and a few others with some info about BOINC. There is nothing about it in Sony literature, no (W7) All Programs folders, nothing in (W7 Control Panel) Programs and Features.

Would like to hear comments and opinions. Thanks, Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#2 of 2 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,712 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 26 2011 - 05:30 AM

After Sony's notorious rootkit debacle back in 2005, I abandoned them for all my consumer electronics products. It seems they have not changed their business practices much over the years.