What's new

The Colbys (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have done a HTF forum search and there are no existing threads for just The Colbys.

Starting off with the news that CBS Drama in the UK will start showing The Colbys from a week on Monday (25th July).

Still waiting for news on a Region 2 release date for Dynasty: The Seventh Season (it's looking like sometime this autumn), but most importantly, for The Colbys: The First Season. I enjoyed the several crossovers with Dynasty, and it was a shame that Ken Howard left The Colbys in it's second season.

After John James left Dynasty in it's sixth season to join The Colbys I didn't think he reappeared on Dynasty until the start of the eighth season. And yet if you look at EpGuides.com's episode list for Dynasty it says John James had a recurring role in Dynasty's seventh season (Emma Samms, Maxwell Caulfield, Ricardo Montalban and Ken Howard appeared in Dynasty's sixth and seventh seasons after The Colbys started. Ken Howard starred on both Dynasty and The Colbys during the 1985-86 seasons).

When UK Gold showed Dynasty's eighth season, the scenes with Fallon onboard the UFO were cut (they were intact when BBC1 showed it).

If, IF, CBS Home Entertainment do decide to release at least the first season of The Colbys, I'd like to suggest they title the set Dynasty II: The Colbys. It could help to boost interest in the DVD set, and The Colbys was called that for the first few episodes.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Currently watching season 6 of Dynasty and I have to say one big plot point was missing!
Also reading the above post Did I read that correct Fallon shown on a UFO! WTF haha
I would buy the Colby's on DVD for the simple fact Stephanie Beecham is awesome on the show!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Powell&Pressburger said:
Currently watching season 6 of Dynasty and I have to say one big plot point was missing!
Also reading the above post Did I read that correct Fallon shown on a UFO! WTF haha
I would buy the Colby's on DVD for the simple fact Stephanie Beecham is awesome on the show!
Yes you read him correctly--in the Colbys season two finale, Fallon was kidnapped by a UFO. Probably the biggest shark-jumping moment in primetime soap history! Don't worry about Fallon--the UFO transported her to the 8th season premiere of Dynasty where she remained for the rest of the series. The writers later had some quack psychiatrist convince Fallon that the UFO was just her imagination--generated by guilt stemming from her incestuous lust for her brother Adam!!! Yeah, right. We Dynasty fans know better--Fallon really was kidnapped by a UFO; too bad the aliens didn't change her face back to Pamela Sue Martin's!
Who knows if CBS/Parmount will ever release the Colbys. It would be good timing were they to do so either this year or next. And Stephanie Beacham was the #1 reason for watching that show week after week. Damn, she was good at what she did.
Richard: I can't remember exactly, but I think John James appeared on Dynasty once or twice during the time Colbys was on the air. I do remember at least one scene between him and Alexis.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing about the Colbys was that I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Jason would EVER think of leaving Sable for Francesca! The Colbys proved (1) Stephanie Beacham was incredibly talented and incredibly sexy and (2) Katharine Ross was by then, neither.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
Richard: I can't remember exactly, but I think John James appeared on Dynasty once or twice during the time Colbys was on the air. I do remember at least one scene between him and Alexis.
Have checked on John James's IMDb filmography, and among the list of episodes of Dynasty he appeared in, he was in two episodes of Dynasty from the time The Colbys started to when it ended. The two episodes were in the seventh season, "Romance" and "The Test".

Emma Samms appeared in three episodes of Dynasty while The Colbys was on the air, "Souvenirs" (which Maxwell Caulfield and Ricardo Montalban also appeared in), "The Victory" and "Romance".

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The main thing I recall from the press at the time was that when Colbys went on the air, the producers and network wanted a lot of interaction between the two shows--as if "Dynasty" were airing two times a week. That also explains why it was originally titled "Dynasty II." But the fans (and thereby the viewers) simply got confused by all the overlapping storylines, and it was felt that ratings for both shows suffered. That's why there's a lot less interaction in the second season.
The original (stupid) network thinking was that since "Dynasty" had been the #1 top-rated show in season 5, a tightly-integrated spin-off would also become as successful. Therefore, ABC would have the two top-rated shows on the air. Obviously their short-sighted thinking and greed didn't pan out. Notice also that without all the "Dynasty" interaction, the Colbys became its own show in its season two and was actually a much better show for cutting its apron strings.
You know what else I was thinking...if you'd asked me two years ago, I'd have said that dvd chances for "Colbys" were slim to none, despite the Dynasty tie-in. But I dunno...there's been so many oldies announced for dvd, that this show might now have a chance. It looks like Dynasty's going to keep slowly seeping out of the Paramount vaults. Perhaps someone over there really cares about Colbys enough to give it a chance on dvd. I do hope, though, that they don't give us half-seasons...cutting this show into four releases probably will mean we'll never see the end of it. Two releases would be just fine; a complete series release all in one pop would be ideal (but probably pretty expensive, knowing Paramount :D )

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The show was never the same without Barbara Stanwyck's Constance Carson (interesting, that's the same name Dorothy Malone's character had on Peyton Place after her marriage to Allison's father Elliot Carson!). But the one thing that has always gotten under my skin is the casting of Emma Samms as Fallon! Well, we actually have someone to blame for that: none other than Tori Spelling! She, like myself watched Emma on General Hospital as Holly Scorpio and told dear old dad to hire her as Pamela Sue Martin's replacement! I have never forgiven Tori for making Emma leave GH, and having her play a character beyond her reach, although she did try. Emma just didn't have the combination of spunk and bitchery that Ms. Martin had as Fallon! At least after the show ended Stephanie Beacham got to be on Dynasty as Sable during its final year, and interestingly enough, became good friends with Krystle! Not surprisingly, she also butted heads with Alexis!
Regarding the rights to the show- when it was shown on SoapNet, Warner Bros. owned the rights for syndication, but I don't know if it extends to the DVD rights as well.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm pretty sure it was part of the Spelling package that went over to Paramount along with "Dynasty."

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The main thing I recall from the press at the time was that when Colbys went on the air, the producers and network wanted a lot of interaction between the two shows--as if "Dynasty" were airing two times a week. That also explains why it was originally titled "Dynasty II." But the fans (and thereby the viewers) simply got confused by all the overlapping storylines, and it was felt that ratings for both shows suffered. That's why there's a lot less interaction in the second season.
Yes, for the first few episodes of The Colbys' first season it was called 'Dynasty II: The Colbys', before that was dropped.

The Dynasty crossovers stopped at the start of the second season, but over on Dynasty there was still some sort of interaction between the two series (Joan Collins and Linda Evans wouldn't appear on The Colbys, but in Dynasty's seventh season (The Colbys' second) Alexis goes to Los Angeles to see Jeff and Fallon

(this is after baby Lauren was born).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
WaveCrest said:

Yes, for the first few episodes of The Colbys' first season it was called 'Dynasty II: The Colbys', before that was dropped. The Dynasty crossovers stopped at the start of the second season, but over on Dynasty there was still some sort of interaction between the two series (Joan Collins and Linda Evans wouldn't appear on The Colbys, but in Dynasty's seventh season (The Colbys' second) Alexis goes to Los Angeles to see Jeff and Fallon(this is after baby Lauren was born).

I have to say that I wasn't one of the fans who were confused by all the crossover storylines, but it's also true of me that I enjoyed Colbys season two far more than season one. The show did come into its own and it was really a pity that it didn't continue on for at least another year. I also enjoyed Barbara Stanwyck being on that show--too bad she never had a scene with former "Big Valley" daughter Linda Evans. They don't even meet in the big party scene over in Dynasty. Stanwyck was reportedly a big pain in the ass on set and was highly intolerant of the younger actors, the writers, the producers--you name it. None of them were sorry to see her go. But I did enjoy all her scenes with Jason. It's very rare to see older people as siblings on television and I think their friendship was terrific. And who didn't love the storyline wherein Sable was trying to convince everyone that dear old Connie was "losing her grip?" Even though they borrowed that bit about Connie improperly securing the saddle from an old "Dynasty" episode, the storyline served to confirm the fact that Sable was a bitch to be reckoned with! And yet even though Sable did things that were equally as awful as the things that cousin Alexis did, she still had a much softer side that she allowed to emerge from time to time. Far all her camp 80s vindictiveness, I feel that Sable was always a far more rounded and believable character than Alexis. Sable had a head full of hell and a heart full of gold. Just wonderful. And more's the pity that Dynasty didn't go onto season 10, because it would have been the Blake and Sable show as she would have been the prime female star from then on.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I have to say that I wasn't one of the fans who were confused by all the crossover storylines, but it's also true of me that I enjoyed Colbys season two far more than season one. The show did come into its own and it was really a pity that it didn't continue on for at least another year. I also enjoyed Barbara Stanwyck being on that show--too bad she never had a scene with former "Big Valley" daughter Linda Evans. They don't even meet in the big party scene over in Dynasty. Stanwyck was reportedly a big pain in the ass on set and was highly intolerant of the younger actors, the writers, the producers--you name it. None of them were sorry to see her go. But I did enjoy all her scenes with Jason. It's very rare to see older people as siblings on television and I think their friendship was terrific. And who didn't love the storyline wherein Sable was trying to convince everyone that dear old Connie was "losing her grip?" Even though they borrowed that bit about Connie improperly securing the saddle from an old "Dynasty" episode, the storyline served to confirm the fact that Sable was a bitch to be reckoned with! And yet even though Sable did things that were equally as awful as the things that cousin Alexis did, she still had a much softer side that she allowed to emerge from time to time. Far all her camp 80s vindictiveness, I feel that Sable was always a far more rounded and believable character than Alexis. Sable had a head full of hell and a heart full of gold. Just wonderful. And more's the pity that Dynasty didn't go onto season 10, because it would have been the Blake and Sable show as she would have been the prime female star from then on.
I didn't find the crossover storylines confusing either. In fact I revelled in the crossovers. I don't know the reason why Ken Howard left, but I read something on another forum, that if The Colbys had been renewed for a third season Dominque would have become a Colbys cast member. And if this did happen, would Ken Howard have returned to the show (he left in the second season). I thought the space program plotline in the second season was very good, as well as the addition of Michael Parks to the main cast as Hoyt Parker

(but was actually Philip Colby).

The aftermath of what happened to Hoyt Parker and Francesca in the episode "Crossroads" (the series finale) was never resolved.

If my memory serves me right, the end credits of the first season of The Colbys ended with a shot of the family round the dining table?

Currently watching Dynasty: The Fourth Season on DVD, and I have to say that Alexis is not one of my favourite characters. I can see where you're coming from with Sable, she was a schemer but had a soft side as well.

I had read that Barbara Stanwyck got annoyed by the younger co-stars when they forgot their lines.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The end credits featured a montage of "headshots" of the principal cast. Don't recall the dinner table, but I can look at my vhs episodes someday. Stanwyck would tear them down when they forgot their lines, but she also accused them of not being as professional as she--the Grand Dame Trouper of the series. It was really a generation gap thing, but she absolutely wouldn't put up with any nonsense from them, and she hurt a lot of feelings. Nobody really enjoyed working when she was on set, and that's the way it was. :(

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the real fighting (for use of any word here) was between Ms. Stanwyck and Charlton Heston! Considering their combined years in showbiz, you'd think they'd get along- and they were Republicans, too! As a longtime fan of hers, it was wonderful to see her on weekly TV again after so many years (The Big Valley having gone off the air roughly 15 years earlier). Regarding the end credits, it was definitely headshots of the various cast members, including Ricardo Montalban and Ken Howard! With all the star power behind it, the show should've been a bigger hit. I think there were two things that caused problems: the writing and as I said before, the miscasting of Emma Samms as Fallon. The whole Spelling/Shapiro bunch (and ABC!) should've offered Pamela Sue Martin a king's ransom (or a salary equal to Joan Collins') to return as Fallon!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Charles Ellis said:
Actually, the real fighting (for use of any word here) was between Ms. Stanwyck and Charlton Heston! Considering their combined years in showbiz, you'd think they'd get along- and they were Republicans, too! As a longtime fan of hers, it was wonderful to see her on weekly TV again after so many years (The Big Valley having gone off the air roughly 15 years earlier). Regarding the end credits, it was definitely headshots of the various cast members, including Ricardo Montalban and Ken Howard! With all the star power behind it, the show should've been a bigger hit. I think there were two things that caused problems: the writing and as I said before, the miscasting of Emma Samms as Fallon. The whole Spelling/Shapiro bunch (and ABC!) should've offered Pamela Sue Martin a king's ransom (or a salary equal to Joan Collins') to return as Fallon!
You're durn right they should have...
*sigh* :rolleyes:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tracy here is the thread for the Colbys. I really could see CBS putting this show out after Dynasty.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i actually thought dynasty was a pretty good show, for awhile. my favorite character was the original fallon. but she left kinda early.

the show started off with some fairly good writing, and good character development.

but it went from that to some pretty ridiculous stuff.

what killed that show for me is that stupid, STUPID idea of the 2 linda evans.

oh my gosh, they went on and on and on with it.

it seems to me though, that the studio would want to finish dynasty before starting on the colbys ?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I agree Pamela as the original Fallon is the ONE and ONLY Fallon IMO. The replacement etc no offense but I just take it as a whole other character.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
emma samms is pretty, but her personality was nowhere even close. i took her as a whole other character, as well.

that was not a good casting job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks