Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Island of Lost Souls (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 10:48 AM

I'm looking forward to this a great deal. I'm surprised that there is not more substantial description of the source elements. Previous discussions on this film had alluded to the fact that all original materials were in deplorable shape or missing altogether. :D

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 15 2011 - 10:56 AM

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and CITIZEN KANE in Blu-ray.  The time has come.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 01:52 PM

I will absolutely buy this no matter what, but I'm a bit concerned about the transfer. I wonder if new elements were located somewhere....? Either way, the blu-ray should look better than the old VHS tape I used to borrow from my local library. I can't wait!

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 15 2011 - 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and CITIZEN KANE in Blu-ray.  The time has come.

really a year of great surprises, LUGOSI in 1080P, now if only another restoration could be done and White Zombie, and it make it to blu ray as well, definite day one purchase, hell pre order, thank you Criterion, but more so than you Universal, for letting Criterion do what you have failed to do since dvd started as a format.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 04:43 PM

Lousy cover art, silly supplements, but it's still a biggie. I've been waiting for this movie forever. It is super sick and disturbing.

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 15 2011 - 05:24 PM

silly supplements,

:confused: What is "silly" about the following: # Audio commentary by film historian Gregory Mank, author of Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff and Hollywood’s Maddest Doctors # New video conversation among filmmaker John Landis (An American Werewolf in London), Oscar-winning makeup artist Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome), and genre expert Bob Burns # New interviews with horror film historian David J. Skal (The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror); filmmaker Richard Stanley (Hardware, original director of the ill-fated 1996 remake of The Island of Dr. Moreau) # New interviews with Devo founding members Gerald Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh, whose manifesto is rooted in themes from Island of Lost Souls # Theatrical trailer # PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Christine Smallwood

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 06:41 AM

John Landis, Rick Baker, Bob Burns, Devo and the director of the absolutely amateurish modern remake. If a film is too old to have any surviving members of the cast and crew, just do a couple of historical commentaries, give us a gallery of stills and posters, a trailer and leave it at that. Of this group of extras, Skal is the only one I would want to listen to.

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 16 2011 - 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by dana martin 

... thank you Criterion, but more so than you Universal, for letting Criterion do what you have failed to do since dvd started as a format.

Ouch!  But oh so true! Posted Image

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 09:10 AM

John Landis, Rick Baker, Bob Burns, Devo and the director of the absolutely amateurish modern remake. If a film is too old to have any surviving members of the cast and crew, just do a couple of historical commentaries, give us a gallery of stills and posters, a trailer and leave it at that. Of this group of extras, Skal is the only one I would want to listen to.

:rolleyes:

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted July 16 2011 - 09:44 AM

I'll gladly pick this up. Never seen it, but I've heard so much about it over the last 10 or more years from its fans, my curiosity has gotten me interested. Hope it's as good as everyone made it out as being.

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 16 2011 - 11:46 AM

Posted Image yes, it was meant sort of as a jib at universal, but then not so much, this is probably the best representation that this was a title that universal had, but somehow knew that no matter what people would have something to say, and didn't know how to release it on their own, so the chance to get it out via licensing it to criterion makes the best of both worlds, fans get what they want, and universal makes money, hint, hint.

agree skal is going to be worth it just because he has so much info on Lugosi.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 17 2011 - 07:22 AM

Extremely glad this has been officially announced, and I think the extras sound great. HOWEVER...the person in charge of approving cover art at Criterion needs to be fired immediately. That is one of the worst covers I've ever seen for a classic film. Pretentious BS. Imagine if this were used instead: http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ Or a rejiggering of this: http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 17 2011 - 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by bigshot 

John Landis, Rick Baker, Bob Burns, Devo and the director of the absolutely amateurish modern remake.

Read a little more carefully. Richard Stanley was fired as director of the 1996 remake and John Frankenheimer was brought in to replace him; Stanley's firing was reportedly influenced by Val Kilmer. Stanley's film Hardware is actually pretty decent, althought the BD version isn't so good. Landis, Baker and Bob Burns are horror icons.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 17 2011 - 08:57 AM

And Stanley's film DUST DEVIL is even better than HARDWARE; in fact, I'd say it's damn fine.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 08:59 AM

Is this the first title from Universal Studios that Criterion was able to release as a Blu-ray? Because I found it strange that Make Way for Tomorrow was a regular DVD while Masters of Cinema was able to release a full Blu-ray transfer. The fact that it is being released on Blu-ray should be the clearest sign that this title has likely been restored in a high quality print. Hopefully this leads to more pre-code classics that have been otherwise neglected.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 09:09 AM

I LOVE the Criterion cover - so there!!! :P

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson 

Extremely glad this has been officially announced, and I think the extras sound great. HOWEVER...the person in charge of approving cover art at Criterion needs to be fired immediately. That is one of the worst covers I've ever seen for a classic film. Pretentious BS. Imagine if this were used instead:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Or a rejiggering of this:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

I like these better than the Criterion artwork as well.

Criterion seems to use some of the most unattractive artwork for its releases although I did really like the photo cover on Blow Out.

Many of these classic films are better served by using the original poster artwork instead of something new.

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 09:14 AM

I can smell a Blu-ray release of THE UNINVITED (1944) from here already...

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted July 17 2011 - 09:29 AM

Don't mind Criterion's covers because they generally avoid using lazy photoshop methods in favor of trying to create something unique and original. These days, its either using a direct scene from the movie, or something completely designed from scratch. While they don't always hit the mark in that regard, they certainly succeed more than those that rely on stock footage and Photoshop. Though I agree that they should start using more original art as they had been earlier in their DVD catalogue.