What's new

Sherwood Schwartz has died. (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
AP: "Sherwood Schwartz, writer-creator of two of the best-remembered TV series of the 1960s and 1970s, "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch," has died at age 94. Great niece Robin Randall said Schwartz died at 4 a.m. Tuesday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was being treated for an intestinal infection and underwent several surgeries. His wife, Mildred, and children had been at his side." He was a cool guy. But I'll never understand why he didn't want the followup Gilligan stuff done all official for a home release. Oh well... RIP

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This is very strange because, just yesterday, some co-workers and I were talking about Gilligan's Island and checking IMDB to see which castmembers were still alive. True story! Yes, we have incredibly lame conversations at lunch time. RIP Mr. Schwartz! Thanks for providing me with all those hours of afterschool entertainment!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
These things come in threes. :( One of the earliest memories I have as a child is Gilligan wearing those wings he made out of the feathers.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
How sad...the Bradys were a childhood staple, in prime-time, in syndication, on Nick At Night and my complete DVD collection. VERY briefly met Barry Williams while working at the Virgin Megastore in Denver back in the late 90's....

It's not a Sunshine Day today...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It was always fun as a kid to come home, turn on the TV and just kind of remember that BB or Gilligan was coming on. Not a planned watch, it was just there. usually on TBS.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Some TV shows win Emmy Awards and critical acclaim - others are ignored by their industry and dismissed by critics, but are beloved by audiences. When you really think about it, I believe it is a much greater achievement to have created shows and characters that have entertained generations of fans for decades, made childhoods happier, and enriched the popular culture. Thanks, Mr. Schwartz.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was looking at readers comments on CNN and somebody mentioned there being something wrong on Gilligan's Island since there were all these capable people and no kid was ever born. heh heh! Of course, I read the 4th season was going to include 2 castaways getting hitched and having a kid. Seemed a good time to do something like that. A shame the 4th season didn't happen. Should have!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Someone in another forum posted this link to a letter he requested be published after his death. HERE ( http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brady-bunch-gilligan-sherwood-schwartz ) I'm not too religious, but this is very nice. He was someone to be admired.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
NPR's "Fresh Air" ran 1998 interview with Sherwood today. If you want to hear it they're always archived at npr.org

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks