Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sherwood Schwartz has died.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 12 2011 - 06:37 AM

AP: "Sherwood Schwartz, writer-creator of two of the best-remembered TV series of the 1960s and 1970s, "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch," has died at age 94. Great niece Robin Randall said Schwartz died at 4 a.m. Tuesday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was being treated for an intestinal infection and underwent several surgeries. His wife, Mildred, and children had been at his side." He was a cool guy. But I'll never understand why he didn't want the followup Gilligan stuff done all official for a home release. Oh well... RIP
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 06:42 AM

Goodbye little buddy.:D Doug
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 06:43 AM

This is very strange because, just yesterday, some co-workers and I were talking about Gilligan's Island and checking IMDB to see which castmembers were still alive. True story! Yes, we have incredibly lame conversations at lunch time. RIP Mr. Schwartz! Thanks for providing me with all those hours of afterschool entertainment!

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 06:48 AM

Sam Denoff (The Dick Van Dyke Show, That Girl) died over the weekend as well. RIP to Sherwood and Sam.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 07:52 AM

These things come in threes. :( One of the earliest memories I have as a child is Gilligan wearing those wings he made out of the feathers.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 08:43 AM

How sad...the Bradys were a childhood staple, in prime-time, in syndication, on Nick At Night and my complete DVD collection.  VERY briefly met Barry Williams while working at the Virgin Megastore in Denver back in the late 90's....

It's not a Sunshine Day today...

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 11:00 AM

It was always fun as a kid to come home, turn on the TV and just kind of remember that BB or Gilligan was coming on. Not a planned watch, it was just there. usually on TBS.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 05:36 PM

Some TV shows win Emmy Awards and critical acclaim - others are ignored by their industry and dismissed by critics, but are beloved by audiences. When you really think about it, I believe it is a much greater achievement to have created shows and characters that have entertained generations of fans for decades, made childhoods happier, and enriched the popular culture. Thanks, Mr. Schwartz.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 05:08 AM

I was looking at readers comments on CNN and somebody mentioned there being something wrong on Gilligan's Island since there were all these capable people and no kid was ever born. heh heh! Of course, I read the 4th season was going to include 2 castaways getting hitched and having a kid. Seemed a good time to do something like that. A shame the 4th season didn't happen. Should have!

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 11:10 AM

Someone in another forum posted this link to a letter he requested be published after his death. HERE ( http://www.hollywood...erwood-schwartz ) I'm not too religious, but this is very nice. He was someone to be admired.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 02:19 PM

NPR's "Fresh Air" ran 1998 interview with Sherwood today. If you want to hear it they're always archived at npr.org

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-