-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 Bluray out

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#41 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 13 2011 - 06:58 AM

Yeah and their blog post tried to make this out to be a GREAT DEAL FOR CONSUMERS!!!! Bullshit. http://blog.gizmodo....r-shit-together

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#42 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 08:18 AM

All a ploy? http://allthingsd.co...top-using-dvds/

#43 of 340 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,348 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 08:22 AM

Netflix streaming is a cool idea that has an occasional good watch on it. Until they carry everything via streaming that they have on actual disc, paying for the streaming isn't something I'm too interested in. The vast majority of titles I chose to watch from Netflix aren't available via streaming. Still on the fence about what to do with the DVD/BD rental plan, but like others, I may drop it when the price goes up and see how much I miss it before deciding whether or not to re-subscribe.

#44 of 340 Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 08:48 AM

with this change netflix is gonna save me 2$ a month. i hate streaming so i'll be dropping that portion and sticking with my 2 dvd's at a time. I think i'll even make sure i watch stuff quicker now to get more disks a month so they have to pay more postage to show that i still think its a disk world and not streaming.

#45 of 340 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 13 2011 - 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SD_Brian 

What I object to most about this whole situation is that I didn't receive direct notification from Netflix about the price change until a full 8 hours after I had read about it online. When the notification finally showed up, the tone was basically, "Suck it up or Cancel!"

With better PR, not to mention including in their press release a better explanation for the (perfectly valid) reasons for the change, I'm guessing Netflix wouldn't be getting as much blowback as they are.

I know, I know: "Thank you, Captain Hindsight!" Posted Image

Nobody has to ask me twice to leave.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#46 of 340 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,688 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 13 2011 - 09:19 AM

My nephew was talking so highly of this service and how cheap it was...and me with my crazyhuge movie/TV collection talking up so much space. hee hee! Glad I didn't put much stock in this services like this. Never was interested and still I'm not. I will speak out when stuff is stream exclusive though.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#47 of 340 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 11:06 AM

What I object to most about this whole situation is that I didn't receive direct notification from Netflix about the price change until a full 8 hours after I had read about it online. When the notification finally showed up, the tone was basically, "Suck it up or Cancel!" With better PR, not to mention including in their press release a better explanation for the (perfectly valid) reasons for the change, I'm guessing Netflix wouldn't be getting as much blowback as they are. I know, I know: "Thank you, Captain Hindsight!" :D

I still haven't gotten an official notification.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#48 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 02:54 PM

/DoubleFacepalm... http://news.cnet.com...0&dlvrit=142337

#49 of 340 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 03:09 PM

My plan will go to $9.99 a month, one Blu-ray out at a time. I don't stream, so I don't care about that. So this is no big deal for me as I get 5+ discs a month for that $10. I also use RedBox if it's a gotta have it for tonight film.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#50 of 340 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,114 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 13 2011 - 04:41 PM

If I was forced to choose, I'd stay with discs, simply because the variety is better. But I simply went from 3 discs + Blu + streaming ($24) to 2 discs + Blu + streaming ($22). Works well enough for me, especially since I mostly rent catalog discs, and the streaming catalog is pathetic.

The real catalyst for this is that the studios are finally asking big $$$ for streaming content. Netflix estimates that their streaming rights costs will go from $180 million to $1.98 billion. Yep - an 11x increase. Hence the splitting an extra charge for streaming service and the ability to go disc only again (which Netflix will be re-emphasizing in their general advertising - they want these customer bases to be as distinct as possible to figure out the best longterm strategy going forward).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#51 of 340 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 08:49 PM

I haven't gotten a notice yet, either. I have the streaming + 1 Blu-ray @ a time option currently. It doesn't work for me, because Netflix is never in a hurry to get new catalog releases in blu, which I use to help me make a decision re: purchase. I guess what I will do in September is drop the DVD/Blu-ray option and stream only.

#52 of 340 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,147 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 11:39 PM

I'm in a quandry, I'm definitely ticked, but my family uses both DVDs and the streaming. If it were just me I'd drop the streaming (I have Amazon anyway); but the others, particularly the kids, are heavy users of the streaming. I think in the end I'll just wind up dropping from a 3 disk to a 2 disk plan. BTW, to date I haven't received any notification of the price change from Netflix either. But when I go into my account it does mention the prices change coming.

#53 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 04:04 AM

This may be the root of the issue but it's not my problem as a consumer and as Netflix is the vendor I blame THEM and not the studios. http://tumblr.hopele...lix-isnt-saying

#54 of 340 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,147 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 04:55 AM

This may be the root of the issue ... http://tumblr.hopelessgeek.com

I don't buy the argument that they have to separate DVD/streaming because susbscribers not using streaming are being counted toward the licensing total. They can easily perform exact accounting as to how many people watch each and every movie. And if their contract is written that poorly, I blame them for hiring lousy contract lawyers. On the other hand I have no problem assigning partial venom toward the studios, as I think they're greedy pigs too.

#55 of 340 WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 05:05 AM

We use streaming all the time at our house, but it's 95% of the time for classic TV like Cheers, Andy Griffith, or Kids In The Hall. That's what I think is perfect for streaming. We watch movies on occasion via streaming, but I hate the quality of streaming movies (on any platform) because of the compression artifacts that are so much worse as opposed to standard def or Blu-ray DVDs. It's gonna cost us an extra $3 or something a month to have a Blu-ray and streaming... now we're considering continuing to do both instead of canceling the disc like we had originally thought. I mean, $3 isn't that bad.

#56 of 340 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 14 2011 - 05:08 AM

You are absolutely right. How else could Netflix and Sony say that PS3 users make up 30% of their streaming userbase?

Netflix also knows when you stream a title, as I always get an e-mail from them asking about the quality of what I just streamed, either on my PS3 or my PC.

Originally Posted by Al.Anderson 

Quote:
This may be the root of the issue ... http://tumblr.hopelessgeek.com

I don't buy the argument that they have to separate DVD/streaming because susbscribers not using streaming are being counted toward the licensing total. They can easily perform exact accounting as to how many people watch each and every movie. And if their contract is written that poorly, I blame them for hiring lousy contract lawyers.

On the other hand I have no problem assigning partial venom toward the studios, as I think they're greedy pigs too.

#57 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 06:30 AM

Netflix is making BIG MONEY tracking the metrics of who is watching what and when. This is exactly what I was worried about with DIVX and we've been foist on our own petard =( We ran into this with joy.... Anywho, Pogue is sympathetic but gives it a soft landing: http://pogue.blogs.n...sed-its-prices/ And Apple Outsider says Netflix just killed the _floppy drive- =) http://www.appleouts..._medium=twitter

#58 of 340 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 14 2011 - 09:08 AM

I figured something like this was inevitable, but they sure picked an interesting "rip the band-aid off" way of getting there.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#59 of 340 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 685 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 02:11 PM

More Bad News... Looks Like the Queue for streaming customers will be going too:

http://www.filmschoo...g-customers.php

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#60 of 340 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 02:39 PM

Reading the article it just sounds like you won't be able to add non-streamed titles to the streaming queue. That doesn't surprise me up sale opportunity.

Originally Posted by Towergrove 

More Bad News... Looks Like the Queue for streaming customers will be going too:

http://www.filmschoo...g-customers.php

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow